unrooted

How to escape wind mt biking in Vegas???

I live in Bishop, and you can escape the wind if it's blowing from certain directions.

Is this possible in Vegas? I'm heading there today to ride tomorrow & wednesday. I'm planning on hitting up the Cowboy Trail and maybe blue diamond and/or bootleg.

Right now I'm thinking that I should do Cowboy and Blue Diamond tomorrow and get as many miles in as possible since Wednesday (10-9-13) looks like there will be a 30 mph wind coming out of the SW (as of this morning (10-7-13).

I did some riding at Bootleg in may and a 10mph wind felt really strong!

JKA
    mtbr member
    If the wind is out of the north, then Bootleg isn't a bad place to be. If it's out of the SW like it usually is, then in my experience, you can't find a place to ride that's not windy. It'll be all over you like wrinkles on a cheap suit.
    If you live in Vegas, you get used to riding in the wind.

unrooted
    30 mph seems unbearable! Guess it makes you really fast if you're headed NE.

\m/ \m/
    Bears Best isn't too bad in the wind. Also remember when its windy think about how much crappier it would be to be on a roadbike.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

unrooted
    Is there ever a time when road biking isn't crappier than mountain biking???

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by unrooted View Post
    30 mph seems unbearable! Guess it makes you really fast if you're headed NE.
    30 MPH....find something else to do, trust me.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

unrooted
    I will, I'll just wear the **** out of my legs tomorrow, then Wednesday I'll go buy bike parts I don't need!

Big B's Trails
    Ride! It'll be fine.... don't be a pu$$y! The wind is supposed to be a south wind trending to ssw by evening...cowboy will work, just be wary on exposed sections. Kyle Canyon( tin can ) would work better though... might get a lil uphill love from a south wind plus your in the trees which can help as a block.
    Come to think of it... bootleg would even be ok, a south wind would be at your back for most of the climbs...

Oth... if it were my ride I'd go to bbt and ride my bike south down town center ( into the headwind but sidewalk) to Mesa park climb the gravel road( next to the drainage channel) to the gas pipeline road suffer into the headwind for a mile or so til you reach the end of the ST then ride the trails all the way back to the flamingo side .... but that's just me!
    I dig dirt!

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Ride! It'll be fine.... don't be a pu$$y! The wind is supposed to be a south wind trending to ssw by evening...cowboy will work, just be wary on exposed sections. Kyle Canyon( tin can ) would work better though... might get a lil uphill love from a south wind plus your in the trees which can help as a block.
    Come to think of it... bootleg would even be ok, a south wind would be at your back for most of the climbs...

Oth... if it were my ride I'd go to bbt and ride my bike south down town center ( into the headwind but sidewalk) to Mesa park climb the gravel road( next to the drainage channel) to the gas pipeline road suffer into the headwind for a mile or so til you reach the end of the ST then ride the trails all the way back to the flamingo side .... but that's just me!

Good plan but the wind scares me
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Viva la Vida!
    Attach a sail to your bike
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

unrooted
    I rode cowboy trails Tuesday, good trails when I could figure out where I was. Yesterday we went to bootleg and the wind was to my back riding up and very strong coming back down, just like Imafred said.

Went over the bars on Girlscout, there's a rocky section towards the bottom and my front wheel stopped and I smacked my helmet, chin and shoulder, thankfully it is only scraped up! Looking at them rocks you would think that any fall there would break every bone!

Before the wreck I did some of the jumps/features, did a double, and the little ladder drop right before the see-saw. That ladder drop thing is f*cking scary! Did it three times and every time I thought my wheel was going to fall off the side.
    Last edited by unrooted; 10-10-2013 at 10:49 AM.