mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Gravel grinders in northern Nevada ?

Any one done any exploring of the gravel roads just east of reno/Carson/silver springs? Relatively new to the area and want to explore the area.

weirdo
    Hi, Serrulate. Where are you comming from? By "Gravel grinders", you mean single day long-ish rides on dirt roads? Lots of dirt out there, not much gravel AFAIK. While I haven`t played much in the Pinenuts, there are a few Carson regulars who`ll be happy to fill you in when they see your post. You might get some good ideas from BikeCarson while you wait (shouldn`t be too long).
    Bike Carson | Bicycle News, Culture, and Lifestyle in Carson City, Nevada

If you`re game for a little driving before you pedal, NorCal has mile after mile of dirt and gravel lumber roads suitable for crossbikes, fat-tire roadies, etc. Plumas, Sierra, and Lassen Counties are my frequent stompin grounds when the weather is nice, but uless you`re a lot studlier than I am, you just missed that for this year.

EDIT: The Pinenut Range is S and E of Carson. East of Silver Springs you`re going to run into a lot of sand issues. All through NV, you`ll have sandy bottomed valleys divided by N-S mountain ranges. There will usually be one or two washboarded main roads running the length of those valleys to serve whatever mines or ranches are out there, but they often ain`t much more fun to ride than the sand. The mountains can be awesome, but the valleys are a lot of hassle. My opinion, anyway.
    Last edited by rodar y rodar; 11-10-2012 at 01:04 AM.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the reply. And thanks for the link to cycle Carson.
    Mostly I was thinking that now that Tahoe and truckee and those areas are socked in and seeing how fernley is pretty dry I was thinking there must be miles of off-pavement roads to explore. I'd love to find some longer rides in the area that I could take my cross check out on.

weirdo
    Okay I got it now- it sounds like you already knew most of what I told you
    A lot of that desert dirt is technically rideable on sub-50mm tires, but not the most enjoyable riding I can think of. Hopefully somebody will steer you towards a few exceptions, or maybe you`ll be able to dig some up by blind exploration. I don`t know much about the capabilities of a crossbike, but some of the mtb territory closer in might work for you as well. The snow doesn`t last all year on the lower portions of Peavine, and winter mornings usually freeze up the mud enough to ride. Most of the ST there is pretty rocky, but there are quite a few dirt roads also. From Carson, maybe the lower portions of Kings Canyon or Hobart Rd?

Re- Truckee/Tahoe area in the summer: Great ST up there, and the road riding is superb as long as you`re pretty traffic tolerant. For gravel and packed dirt roads, I personally prefer to stay clear of the Tahoe basin. It is beautiful, but very packed with people, and a large portion is designated wilderness, so not really all that many fire roads. Give it a shot, since it might still suit your tastes, but if it leaves you looking for some solitude or longer rides, pick up a USFS map for the other nearby areas. Starting in Verdi or Bordertown, you can follow the dirt to Stampede Reservoir and on to Hwy 89, Loyalton, or Sierraville. With a few miles of pavement here and there, you can dang near get to Quincy, Oroville, Doyle, Lake Almanor, Susanville...
    Hell, probably even Mt Shasta, with enough time and energy. I`ve ridden a mostly unpaved route from home (Lemmon Valley) to Lassen NP, and I know the same network of roads keeps going even further north.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Try this:
    Great Basin Bicycles A great website A++++

Rich lists lots of rides in the area from singletrack to dirt roads and more.

Good luck.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    hey guys

There's miles of public land with ST and jeep roads in N sun valley that just roll through the foothills all day long out to golden vly etc if this interest anyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Where do you normally pick up the trail in sun valley? How bad is the sand? Do you need a fat bike to get through?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serrulate View Post
    Where do you normally pick up the trail in sun valley? How bad is the sand? Do you need a fat bike to get through?
    directly behind my house some 3 blks away. The vast majority of the trails are hardpacked but it's not uncommon to come across sand in sections which i've ridden with my full suss and get stuck so yes a fattie would thrive.

Headed to jones/white creek trails this afternoon..

weirdo
    > directly behind my house some 3 blks away.<
    There ya go! just plug "nvphatty" into google maps and plot a 3 block radius around the location that turns up

My old route into SV (from lemmon Valley) was chopped off by a pipeline project several years ago, so I can`t tell you anything about that side that satelite images won`t say better. You can also access the same network of roads from the top of Estates in Golden Valley or from Patrician or Bernouli in Lemmon Valley. The roads marked by white lines on Google Maps look pretty accurate for the L.V. and G.V. parts (which I`m more familiar with), so hopefully good on the S.V. side also. All those marked and named roads should be fair game for a CX bike. Fortunately, pavement is pretty much always downhill, so whatever you can get into you`ll be able to get back out of.

The main roads up in those hills are mostly DG, so a little washboarded, but not bad. All the ST I`ve run into around the whole north valleys area seems to be by and for either cattle or motorcycles, in either case it`s been very sandy. It is possible somebody has developed some for mtbs up there, but not that I`ve seen. Phatty, any that you know of?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Yes google is quit the search engine and plots my humble home dead center...

Traveling by motor car on Nth SV blvd there is signage in a cpl spots indicating 'public land' access with Leon Dr as the residential street leading to it along with numerous places behind the highland ranch subdivision which can lead you to the GV, LV area however of the ST they are just mixed in amongst the others so in short a plethora of choices for anyone out in the desert.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 11-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you are looking for something more in the Carson City area you could not do much better than Ash Canyon Backcountry access road or Kings Canyon Backcountry Access road. Both will lead you up to Tahoe and the Flume with Kings hitting Hobart and Ash hitting the very very North end of Hobart.

Outside of that there is the Pinenuts (out pinenut rd in Gardnerville) with some decent gravel grinders but you will share that land and roads with 4X4s, Motocross, etc that really don't enjoy our presence out there. As Rodar said, most of what you are going to find will be better suited for a mtb vs a cross bike due to the pure nature of the terrain (normally quite rough and rocky). You can also see many of the fireroads on the north canyon in Carson from the streets so you just do a bit of exploring for their access and you should be able to do some fun stuff (if that is what you are looking for).

Stuff that is a bit more CX oriented would be better suited for Tahoe area like Rodar said earlier.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    If you are looking for something more in the Carson City area you could not do much better than Ash Canyon Backcountry access road or Kings Canyon Backcountry Access road. Both will lead you up to Tahoe and the Flume with Kings hitting Hobart and Ash hitting the very very North end of Hobart.

Outside of that there is the Pinenuts (out pinenut rd in Gardnerville) with some decent gravel grinders but you will share that land and roads with 4X4s, Motocross, etc that really don't enjoy our presence out there. As Rodar said, most of what you are going to find will be better suited for a mtb vs a cross bike due to the pure nature of the terrain (normally quite rough and rocky). You can also see many of the fireroads on the north canyon in Carson from the streets so you just do a bit of exploring for their access and you should be able to do some fun stuff (if that is what you are looking for).

Stuff that is a bit more CX oriented would be better suited for Tahoe area like Rodar said earlier.
    perhaps a gathering sometime would be very cool. I'm curious about the trail that's near Costco and follows hwy 50 up errrrr sumthin to that effect anyway, do you know of it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

simpson road

I tried simpson road heading east last weekend, just south of silver springs. did alright for about an hour and then ran into some serious sand,(seems i maybe should have turned left rather than right ) the road was flat, a little boring, some washboards in the beginning but overall not bad, i'll probably head back that away as its not too far from my house.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by serrulate View Post
    I tried simpson road heading east last weekend, just south of silver springs. did alright for about an hour and then ran into some serious sand,(seems i maybe should have turned left rather than right ) the road was flat, a little boring, some washboards in the beginning but overall not bad, i'll probably head back that away as its not too far from my house.
    sand thats what fatties live for so no prob

weirdo
    Had to Google that one up! Bummer about the sand- left turn next time? Since you`re in that area, have you looked at Fort Churchill Rd? It starts at the state park there (95, across from Simpson) and runs to just outside of Dayton, changing to 6 Mile Canyon Rd when it crosses 50. Not very long (15 miles?), but it`s kind pretty. Even has some surprisingly nice Fall colors for the cottonwoods along the river.

Another possible source of interresting routes might come from Frank Revelo. Look under "Biking Destinations" and "Trip Reports". There`s a little bit in there about a transcontinental (mostly) offroad route that passes through NV, and his two NV reports include the Simpson segment you just metioned. Maybe you`ll find more usefull stuff hidden in his pages.
    Hiking/Biking

And still not much snow, so the lower elevation Sierra lumber roads are probably still passable. We`re just about to the end of our busy season here at work, with only one more weekend running. If the snowpack still hasn`t started accumulating by the following weekend, I`ll be happy to give you a tour of the main roads in the Bordertown-Dog Valley- Verdi triangle (or you can find them on a Toyabe NF map). Very nice stuff up there that would be excellent Crosscheck fodder. Last year I accompanied a guy on a Soma Doublecross through there. He was pulling a full BOB trailer and had very limited dirt experience, but still managed, so should be no problem for you. You can see what it looks like under "Day 1" here:
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/9456
    Recalculating....

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    perhaps a gathering sometime would be very cool. I'm curious about the trail that's near Costco and follows hwy 50 up errrrr sumthin to that effect anyway, do you know of it?
    Think I know what you are talking about but I think those are more random fire access roads vs. anything else. Never know you could just go and explore.

There is also a new trail in Genoa that will start you right in the middle of town and you can take it all the way up to the Flume Trail and over the top and drop down through Heavenly. Might be of more interest to you as from what I heard, it is not good on the mtb fun side but rather dull and more hiker, horse rider friendly.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Think I know what you are talking about but I think those are more random fire access roads vs. anything else. Never know you could just go and explore.

There is also a new trail in Genoa that will start you right in the middle of town and you can take it all the way up to the Flume Trail and over the top and drop down through Heavenly. Might be of more interest to you as from what I heard, it is not good on the mtb fun side but rather dull and more hiker, horse rider friendly.
    Hmmmmmmm must find the Genoa trail regardless. I suspect signage @ the 4way stop?

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I don`t know where the Carson Costco is, but by the reference to 50, I have to wonder if you`re talking about the top of the old Clearcreek Rd. Not really a trail, but that`s really neat route to the top of the ridge! The way that short sections of perfectly paved old highway appear out of the undergrowth for a few hundred yards before disappearing again into the willows and brush makes me think of ancient Mayan ruins nearly reclaimed by the jungle

I think I remember the thread about that new network. What do you mean by "horse rider friendly"? I`ve never been on those either, but expected it would be very similar to the nearby TRT sections with steps, short drops, and other technical sections. You think it`s smoother? I might have to get myself a mountain bike again to find out for myself. Oh, and you mean up to rim trail and down to Heavenly, don`t you? The flume is several miles north of Genoa and Heavenly.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There's a lot of dirt roads without significant sand off of the back of Wingfield Springs. The suggestion to check out Great Basin Bicycle's website for the trail maps was an excellent one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnking View Post
    There's a lot of dirt roads without significant sand off of the back of Wingfield Springs. The suggestion to check out Great Basin Bicycle's website for the trail maps was an excellent one.
    I've not been out that way but always enjoy new dirt and yes Rich's GBB website is very informational. I've done a few of them and plan for more.