Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2015

It is getting hot! Where are the Las Vegas bikers riding?

For me, on a slow fatty, the summer temps are getting to be too much.

Today I rode the 6 mile loop at Lee Canyon and would like to find more cooler trails.

Any ideas to beat the heat?

\m/ \m/
    Flagstaff, AZ, Big Bear, CA, Cedar City, UT
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Showgirl

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I may add Lovell Canyon to the mix.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner View Post
    Flagstaff, AZ, Big Bear, CA, Cedar City, UT
    I wish I had the time for that!

Years ago I rented a DH bike at Cedar Breaks. Made a day trip of it.

mtbr member
    Showgirl, Tin Can and Bristlecone are good summer trails. I still ride all the usual stuff around Vegas, I just start my rides at 5:00 am.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorider228 View Post
    Showgirl, Tin Can and Bristlecone are good summer trails. I still ride all the usual stuff around Vegas, I just start my rides at 5:00 am.
    Yup time to wake up earlier!
    2015 Ghost Kato 5
    2016 GT Traffic 3.0 (commuter)
    1996ish GT Timberline
    1988ish GT Mach One

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Are there any loops at Mt. Charleston?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwheelies View Post
    Are there any loops at Mt. Charleston?
    Yes, Bristlecone loop is the highest elevation trail in Las Vegas. It over looks the ski resort. It's short, and can be very congested with hikers if you don't get up there early, but it's a fun trail. Tincan and showgirl are also up there.

Young, Shawn Young
    Anyone been up to BH yet?? Its probably a little early but I really would like to get up there!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Anyone been up to BH yet?? Its probably a little early but I really would like to get up there!
    Not this year but a few years ago. Awesome trails and beautiful weather.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    BH? Where is that?

Young, Shawn Young
    Brian Head up in Utah. High Alpine riding for the summers hottest months.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Ill be around BH July 2nd if anyone else is in the area during that time we should meet up for a ride! Planned on doing BH to Panguitch lake, having my awesome GF shuttle.

the Great and Powerful
    Rode Bootleg in the dark last month on a hot day. Spooky, but fun and in comfortable temps. Scorpions out all over the place. Ride at night.
    Go toward the light. Fear not. Lord Hawg is waiting for you on the other side.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Rode Bootleg in the dark last month on a hot day. Spooky, but fun and in comfortable temps. Scorpions out all over the place. Ride at night.
    Coming from Maryland, this is what I imagine:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbKQQZsQJwk

Gonna be there next week and the week after. Is night riding legal (or just not illegal) on most/all the trails there (i.e., Cowboy, 3 Mile Smile, Cottonwood, Blue Diamond, Bootleg, etc.)? Any special rules about parking? What about safety? Do I have to worry about any unpleasant people hanging out at trailheads, or will it just be scorpions to keep me company?

I was at Moab a few weeks ago, and my Garmin 810 registered at 118 degrees. I definitely don't want to relive that ride!

Thanks,
    rickyd
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    All of the trails in Las Vegas are in the better parts of town. No issues with shady trail heads. As for the legality of night riding, yeah you're fine. This is the first time I've even heard this question asked. Watch out for the snakes with the scorpions too though!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    All of the trails in Las Vegas are in the better parts of town. No issues with shady trail heads. As for the legality of night riding, yeah you're fine. This is the first time I've even heard this question asked. Watch out for the snakes with the scorpions too though!
    Thanks Moto! Here on the DC/Baltimore-area trails, you have to get special permission to mountain bike at night in all the parks (that have established mountain bike trails). If you get caught by the po-po riding somewhere without permission, you can get ticketed, fined, or worse. One friend was even tackled off her bike!

Might be a stupid question, but how do I watch out for snakes and scorpions? Are they that abundant that the trails are littered with them? Besides wearing chaps and keeping an eye and ear (rattlesnakes?) out for them, is there anything else I can do?
    Last edited by Drevil; 07-14-2015 at 12:07 PM.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Wow that sounds crazy! Hearing that makes me love the desert more and more.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Thanks Moto! Here on the DC/Baltimore-area trails, you have to get special permission to mountain bike in all the parks (that have established mountain bike trails). If you get caught by the po-po riding somewhere without permission, you can get ticketed, fined, or worse. One friend was even tackled off her bike!

Might be a stupid question, but how do I watch out for snakes and scorpions? Are they that abundant that the trails are littered with them? Besides wearing chaps and keeping an eye and ear (rattlesnakes?) out for them, is there anything else I can do?
    Living on the east coast seems to suck....
    you dont need to watch out for snakes and scorpions like that(bootleg has by far the highest concentration of both though), theres a better chance of seeing a scorpion in my backyard then out on a trail... if you get "lucky" enough to encounter a rattler just give it a lil respect(distance) and it'll do the same for you. Im a Vegas n8v and I can count on my hand the amount of times Ive been "close" to a rattler without knowing it beforehand. If you wanna catch one lmk and Ill tell ya how...jus dont git bit
    If you come in October you can nightride with the tarantulas thats pretty fun and it can literally be like riding on a moving carpet...
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Agreed - snakes are uncommon from my experience - doesn't seem to be enough water and food. Having moved here from PHX where we'd usually see at least one to a handful per a dusk/night ride I was amazed.

mtbr member
    I agree with you guys about the snakes. I wasn't trying to imply they are everywhere. I've only encountered two Rattle Snakes and they were both on BBT. Oddly I encountered many more living in Northern California.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    And for the most part leave them alone and they'll do the same. I've actually ridden over rattlers (on accident) and been fine. Often times you'd see people trying to move them off the trail by throwing rocks and whatever and they get pissed. Just dismount and walk around.

Big B's Trails
    I agree with you guys about the snakes. I wasn't trying to imply they are everywhere. I've only encountered two Rattle Snakes and they were both on BBT. Oddly I encountered many more living in Northern California.
    really both on bbt? I built every inch of that trail system and never saw ONE rattler....
    did see a coupla gopher/corn snakes and a red racer, but no rattlers

Quote Originally Posted by GSNED View Post
    And for the most part leave them alone and they'll do the same. I've actually ridden over rattlers (on accident) and been fine. Often times you'd see people trying to move them off the trail by throwing rocks and whatever and they get pissed. Just dismount and walk around.
    Yup, just like I said above...give respect, get respect. They're actually really cool reptiles and sorely needed in our enviro to keep the rodent pop. down...please don't kill them!
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    really both on bbt? I built every inch of that trail system and never saw ONE rattler....
    did see a coupla gopher/corn snakes and a red racer, but no rattlers

Yup, just like I said above...give respect, get respect. They're actually really cool reptiles and sorely needed in our enviro to keep the rodent pop. down...please don't kill them!
    Yeah one was in the beginning portion that snakes around before you start climbing at all, and the other was at the end when you drop back down towards the access road. The top of that last ridge is actually the only place I've ever seen a Tarantula in the wild as well. I have never been a huge night rider though, usually my rides start right around sunrise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast