Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Free Shuttles at Charleston this weekend

All Mountain cyclery will be doing free shuttles at Mt. Charleston this weekend. I believe Dan said Kyle Caynon area nefore tue Metro Police substation. Hope to see peoples up there if I can find a ride lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you know what days and what time they will be up there?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dan said they are probibly going up friday night and they will be camping there all weekend. As far as times for the shuttles not sure..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Anyone going up saterday or sunday i could hitch a ride with...dont know if my ride is gonna work out..

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Are the shuttle routes at Mt Charleston "big bike" only?? Or will my Stumpy fsr 29er be enough bike?? Was thinking about hitting Mammoth for a day this weekend, but if i can get riding in here at home that would keep the family happy!! I have wanted to check out Mt Charleston for a while now, maybe this is the chance!
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Don't know what the riding is like I've never been there. But if u want a riding partner I could use a ride there

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by legburn View Post
    Are the shuttle routes at Mt Charleston "big bike" only?? Or will my Stumpy fsr 29er be enough bike?? Was thinking about hitting Mammoth for a day this weekend, but if i can get riding in here at home that would keep the family happy!! I have wanted to check out Mt Charleston for a while now, maybe this is the chance!
    Thanks!
    The trails are definately not "big bike" only. In my opinion an agressive all mountain to light freeride bike is perfect for the trails. I have ridden a Nomad, Enduro, Butcher and an SX trail up there and have even ridden with a few people on hard tails (not my idea of fun). People do ride DH bikes on these trails but it is not necessary. Your stumpy will be fine, maybe not as fast in some sections as if you were on a "big bike" but you will have a great time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bcall- thanks for the info!! now, to decide, Mammoth or Charleston......???
    7point- will let you know if i decide to go locally, and will give you a ride. what part of town do you live in? I am in southern highlands....

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That'd be sweet i live in down town but I ride 30+ miles a day on my downhill bike so I can meet u anywhere. Jus let me know...much appreciated if it works out. Names James

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Mammoth is not a one day trip IMO. For something closer, VRRT, Navajo Lake might be ready if they cleared the downed trees.

AMC shuttles at Mt. Charlie have always been free. That's the deal Jeff has with the USFS.

9ish is when they usually start. Pick up can be at that big tree or at that clearing near the equestrian stuff. If you see a lot of cars or trucks with bikes, that's where it is.

@legburn, your bike should be fine. Heck, I went down Skid Marks at Mammoth on a 4" travel xc bike( it just wasn't as fun ). Just ask what trail they are going down when the shuttle gets to the top. Chutes and Ladders is really steep at the start. The guys on the "big bikes" also have "alternate" lines.

Have fun and watch out for hikers and horses. Body armor is recommended.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hey James (7point) Barry here, looks like snow and rain for Mammoth for the next 24 hours, so Charleston it is! Pm me for pick up info. I am thinking that meeting at 8 downtown somewhere to head up the mountain sounds good, you in?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Legsburn---PM sent jus Gimmie a call or txt on where u wanna meet exactly

gefiltephish
    Aug 2006
    So great of AM cyclery to do this! i should be there by noon tomorrow... gold corolla with a trek fuel... Anyone have a torque wrench for tightening up my pivot bolts? Otherwise I have to get to a shop beforehand... - Ari

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just wanted to say thanks to All Mountain Cyclery for doing the shuttles! Had a great time saturday, fell more that i have in the last 6 months!! got really loose up there, but had a great time. Also thanks to all the people out there, very cool bunch, the shuttle crew was even helping out with servicing some bikes for the riders. See ya out there next weekend!! Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oh, And Pedsdoc, thanks for recommending body armor, i was very happy to have the pads and full face several times!!! Man those trees just seem to grab you!! Have to get some new elbow pads tho, they gut torn up. Cant wait till next weekend!

mtbr member
    damn what a great time on sunday

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey legsburn u riding again next weekend?

mtbr member
    The shuttle guys give you any indication as to whether this is going to be a regular service and if so when are they planning on doing it again? And will it be free or was that just an introductory offer to gauge interest?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As far as I knew it was just for memorial weekend..but maybe

mtbr member
    i think they'll be up there every weekend. it's free but they take donations for gas, or bring food for the driver, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    7point- not sure about going up this weekend, work has been crazy busy...... Will definitely give you a call if i do tho! I understood that the shuttles would run at least one day a weekend...... Not super positive tho. I will call All Mountain and report back here.

mtbr member
    talk to eddie today he said like on all mtn cyclery on fb and they will keep posted on the shuttles to charleston. this weekend they are not going to be up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    So shuttles at Charleston again tomorrow. So is anyone going so I can hitch a ride. I'd love to go again but its a far bike ride which I might do if I have to..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Any word on upcoming shuttles?

Any upcoming weekend shuttle days at charleston?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Tomorrow. Should start running around 11:00.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast