mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Ely rider headed to South Tahoe

Heading into Tahoe for a wedding. I get a few hours to ride South Tahoe Friday morning. I pulled a map from TAMBA.org. In my mind, I put together a ride: Van Sickle up to TRT, TRT to Armstrong Pass, Armstrong trail down to Connector -> Corral -> Railroad Grade. Sound plausible for a somewhat fit guy on my new Burner? Doable in four to six hours?

I have a 'plan B' of once I hit Star Lake, heading back to town via Star Lake -> Cold Creek -> Power Line.

I have not rode Tahoe before. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Tahoe and a new Burner!?!? Now I'm really envious.

TRT to Armstrong to Coral I think are solid choices. I haven't ridden Van Sickle or Railroad Grade (I think I returned on Powerline when I did a similar route).

I also like Kingsbury Grade to Spooner on the TRT as an out and back. About 25 miles total. Definitely doable in 4 hours.

Did you get to ride yesterday? How are you liking the Burner so far?
    Last edited by KRob; 08-06-2013 at 04:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The Burner is awesome! I am loving it, especially since I have rode it on local trails. Cleaning climbs I previously couldn't clean. Although, I am still a bit sketch on the downhills. There is something about initially going into a turn that I am trying to get used to. I am tweaking the ergos.

After all of two rides I tore down the Fox 34 fork last night. Just not getting anywhere near full travel. I found the top foam rings pretty much dry. I did find some oil in the lowers, but probably too much oil in the air chamber. Going to ride again on Wednesday to check it out before heading to Tahoe.

As far as my ride in Tahoe, I do believe I am going to stick to my Plan A. I have been 'flying' my proposed ride in Google Earth. The Van Sickle trail head is just outside the hotel parking lot. From there I ride up to TRT. Once on the Rim Trail, I am going to ride to Star Lake. The plan is to continue on the Rim Trail after Star Lake to Armstrong Pass. I'll take the Armstrong down to Connector and then to Corral. Finally ending up at a parking lot below Railroad where my wife can pick me up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KellyE View Post
    The Burner is awesome! I am loving it, especially since I have rode it on local trails. Cleaning climbs I previously couldn't clean. Although, I am still a bit sketch on the downhills. There is something about initially going into a turn that I am trying to get used to. I am tweaking the ergos.

After all of two rides I tore down the Fox 34 fork last night. Just not getting anywhere near full travel. I found the top foam rings pretty much dry. I did find some oil in the lowers, but probably too much oil in the air chamber.
    Yeah, sounds like oil is migrating past the seal into the air chamber. Should only be like 5 cc in there (barely enough to cover the top of the piston) and the cartridge should have 20-25cc I think. Can't remember exact amount for the36 Float 160. I assume the 34 Float 150 would take less.

Sounds like a fun ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For the record... I completed my planned ride. I had a phone app that was tracking my progress. Unfortunately my phone did a random reboot a bout a mile before the end, so I lost all the data of the ride. But it was near 27 miles total. I was around 4.5 hours in the saddle and 5.5 hours on the trail.

The climb was tough, but that huge downhill ride from Freel Pass all the way down to Corral Trail was worth it. The views were truly amazing!