mtbr member

Ely,Elko, Austin, Carson City , ????

I plan to camp, ride, climb around this part of Nevada for a week are so. What are some of the ST trails that I have to hit. I have ridden around Austin years ago and a bit around Carson City'Reno. Looking for fun Single Track

Thanks Much.

mtbr member
    www.greatbasintrails.org has a pretty good trails section with descriptions and maps of trails around Ely. Go to the Cave Lake, Ice Plant, or Ward Rec areas of the map and click.

Higher stuff is still under snow but the stuff under 8K' is good to go. Everything should be rideable by early June.

mtbr member
    Aynmore more input or suggestions?

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky
    Aynmore more input or suggestions?

I hate to say this, but the riding around Elko is limited (at the moment) to cow trails and ATV track. There are a lot of other great reasons to come here but MTB goodness isn't one of them. Don't get me wrong - there's stuff that's worth getting out and doing for those of us who live here - but it isn't worth driving for. Yet. We're working on it.

Ely has the goods - well worth the trip and once the snow melts you can easily kill a couple of happy days pedaling there. There's some very nice riding right outside of Battle Mountain - not really destination stuff but an excellent reason to get off the freeway or - what I do - camp outside of Battle Mountain, go for a ride, get on the road. I've not had good luck with the trails around Winnemucca, although friends of mine have told me that I've chosen poorly and that there's good riding to be found. Check with the bike shop in Winnemucca and he'll send you in the right direction there.

I've not ridden around Austin. The guy who has the bike shop in Elko developed a lot of that riding when he lived in Austin, so if you do end up coming through this way you can pick his brain for ideas.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    I've got to agree with Mountain Girl on the Elko rides. We do a lot of mountain biking here but it somewhat limited to sharing with four-wheelers and motos. I use the Elko trails to train for riding at other venues.

Winnemucca's Bloody Shins trail system is worth doing if you are travelling on I-80 between Reno and Elko. There are a couple 60 -90 minutes loops that are in good condition right now. Chuck Austin at Bikes and More in town will give you the full scoop.

Austin's trail system is under-used and subsequently mostly overgrown, in disrepair, to nonexistent except for the multi-use roads. Maps are available in most of the town's merchants. I rode a couple of trails there last fall and was disappointed.

Ely is supposed to have a good network, although I have not riden there for several years.

Carson is your best bet, but this is a big snow year and the high elevation rides are still under snow.

Good Luck...Dan

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by cdadaa View Post

Ely is supposed to have a good network, although I have not riden there for several years.
    Dan, seriously - get thee down to Ely for Fears, Tears and Beers. You'll get the tour of the best stuff the area has to offer, especially if you make a weekend of it and go for the Friday and Sunday group rides. It's only 2.5 hours from Elko if you go over Secret Pass and WELL worth the drive.

mtbr member
    I've tried for a number of years but always have a conflict. What is the date this year?

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by cdadaa View Post
    I've tried for a number of years but always have a conflict. What is the date this year?
    June 11. Always the second Saturday in June.

Short-Change-Hero
    Could do the Pinenut Course in Gardnerville, Ash Canyon in Carson, then climb from Kings Canyon Road up to the Flume and do the Flume - TRT network up in Lake Tahoe/Incline Village.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ely

I rode Cave Lake in Ely as I was passing thru. I really enjoyed it. There's a cool cozy improved campground right next to the lake. The downhill was sweet. Really flowy. I tried Austin but it was all double track. Good luck!
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    Fears, Tears and Beers sounds cool but I can not make it. I wonder if they post a map of the longer course. Seems like a great way to check out the area. Hope to make it in late June.

Thanks for the input looks like more snow the Sierra this week, snow melt in my riding area, Bear Valley is at least 3 weeks behind.

Cheers Jeff

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Stinky View Post
    Fears, Tears and Beers sounds cool but I can not make it. I wonder if they post a map of the longer course. Seems like a great way to check out the area. Hope to make it in late June.

Thanks for the input looks like more snow the Sierra this week, snow melt in my riding area, Bear Valley is at least 3 weeks behind.

Cheers Jeff
    Jeff - the long course combines the Ice Plant/Upper Coyotes trail, the Ward connector, the Ward Mountain G Loop and the Squaw Peak/Whorehouse Hill routes. All of those maps, including GPS info, are available on the Great Basin Trails Alliance website, www.greatbasintrails.org.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Should be heading out next week or week after.