mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Dogs at Peavine?

Are dogs allowed off leash on the Peavine trails?

I just moved to Reno from Carson City this past weekend. In Carson, I would take my dog out to chase me around while I was riding. Would that kind of thing be frowned upon at Peavine?

mtbr member
    Dogs on Peavine are fine, just watch out for people shooting guns. It does'nt happen every ride, but alot of the rides I have done there, people are shooting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've experienced that in some areas around Carson City.

I was just curious because I took my dog for a walk there the other day, and just north of the tunnel that goes under McCarran there were a bunch of "Pets must be on leash" signs.

mtbr member
    Dogs are fine up on Peavine. All of my run-ins with gun shooters have been on the south-central part of the mountain when I'm riding 4x4 roads. Most of the good singletrack is on the southeast and eastern parts of mountain, and I've rarely had any run-ins over there. The lack of shade and water may be a bigger problem for your pooch, at least for the next month or so.

Short-Change-Hero
    Check out the AltaAlpina website as they are major group in Reno (mostly road but do some mtb) and they will probably have good info. I dont think it is an issue as my brother takes his dogs just about every he rides but have never asked about Peavine. I do know that they are allowed off-leash at Dry Pond.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Peavine is fine for dogs, just make sure they have water.

In Rancho San Rafael Park (which is the area I think you're asking about) they're supposed to be on a leash, except in the actual dog park area on the south side of McCarran.

Rope stretcher
    Apr 2004
    The "Dogs on Leash" signs are for Washoe County land @ Keystone, Rancho and softball fields trail heads, which is only a small fraction of the land you will be riding. Keep the mutt under control in the parking lot and pick up its waste and you will be OK.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for all the info.

Nacho really appreciates it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dogs at Peavine?-nacho-halo.jpg