Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Proud American

Coyote Springs Ride Saturday Morning

Me and a couple friends are heading to Coyote Springs Saturday Morn. We'll be there around 9:45am if anybody else wants to go. I was told they'd like to see more riders out there so the trails get some use. We don't have to all go together, but, it would be nice to see some life out there. If you haven't been there yet, I'd be you'll be pleasantly surprised..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coyote Springs Ride Saturday Morning-screenshot-3.jpg  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bluejudad; 11-03-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: to add more info

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm not familiar with the coyote springs trail, can you give me some more info?

mtbr member
    And take lots of pic to post. Have you ridden UFC on the east side of the road? If not you can find info on how to find it on the other Coyote Springs thread.

I can't post a link from my phone

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    And take lots of pic to post. Have you ridden UFC on the east side of the road? If not you can find info on how to find it on the other Coyote Springs thread.

I can't post a link from my phone
    I have not ridden UFC. Do you recommend it? If you have ability to post link, please do.

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by friedhouse View Post
    I'm not familiar with the coyote springs trail, can you give me some more info?
    It's north on Old 93 beyond Apex off the 15. You can't miss the golf course once you head north on 93. Find the Coyote Springs thread for more info.

mtbr member
    After looking at Google earth it appears that if you take Tarantula right,counter clockwise, when you get to the old road,cross it.You can pick up the ST as it exits the wash.Or you can go east at the gazebo on jeep rd and pick it up just past the little pit,or you can turn,east, at the UFC painted on the road. If you do the UFC option you'll climb a bunch of switchbacks. So alot of footies pretty quick with a longer,faster decent or the other way longer,easier climb, short switchie decent.
    There is another trail mid way up that appears to bring you down somewhere between the pit and UFC. We didn't ride that one ,yet!

Ya want be sure and go down Mike's Canyon, definetly a unique trail for our neck of the woods.

Enjoy and report any other trail you might find,as I suspect there is more to find!

Sorry took me a min to find it

Have you been out there before? Does this make sense and help?

Yes I would recomend it,mikey's canyon and the mexican stairs. They're in the middle between mikey's and tarantula.
    Last edited by knoob; 11-02-2012 at 10:39 PM.

Proud American
    Coyote Springs Trail Map
    Attached Files Attached Files

This space available

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by JDay View Post
    Very disheartening news to report.... And it's not that there is a trail conflict this morning. I'm told by the guy who organizes the above foot races that the trails are all fu*ked up from the rains. I don't know his knowledge of MTBing, but he claims much of it is unrideable, including the slot canyon (mikes canyon). Apparently they can 'get by' with the running, but, he said he'd half to spend weeks getting it ready for next year's event.

This MTBer is seriously bummed about this. Guess I'm heading to Cowboy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    Very disheartening news to report.... And it's not that there is a trail conflict this morning. I'm told by the guy who organizes the above foot races that the trails are all fu*ked up from the rains. I don't know his knowledge of MTBing, but he claims much of it is unrideable, including the slot canyon (mikes canyon). Apparently they can 'get by' with the running, but, he said he'd half to spend weeks getting it ready for next year's event.

This MTBer is seriously bummed about this. Guess I'm heading to Cowboy.
    That's sad to hear. I wondered how those trails would hold up in the heavy rains you guys had a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the trail map whoever posted it. Best one I've seen.

KRob----> Right clicking and saving.

Proud American
    We're gonna do Coyote in the morning. Probably leaving Vegas at 9:30 or 10. If anybody else wants to meet us there that would be cool. We'll let everybody know how the trails look after the rains.

Proud American
    OK.. Update on Coyote Springs:
    I had heard and reported here that the trails are a mess from the rains. This is totally false. The trail system is in much better condition than Cottonwood. There's a couple areas on the lower loops that have some water damage, but, nothing that a few guys with shovels and rakes can't fix. The most damage we observed was to the rock ramp, especially wear it tops out. It's eroded and one has to hike-a-bike for a few yards.
    The UFC (Upper Fight Club), and the rest of the trails on the north side of Dry Gulch Rd. are fantastic. In fact, if you look at the map posted here, there is a new section that ranks as, perhaps, my favorite trail in NV. It must be done. It's located where the UFC and LFC meet. It's an out and back that climbs to a peek. It's fantastic.
    Another note... there was a gate at the entrance to the community that was not there last time I rode. So we parked where 168 and Dry Gulch Rd meet.
    I'm strongly suggest more people get out on these trails. It's really not far at all. They're professionally done and only continued riding will ensure they are well maintained. As I mentioned earlier, the trail builders have told me that Mgmt wants people to ride them. I know that seems odd, since there doesn't appear to be any indication that is so.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update buejudad. Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as first reported.

Yeah I just noticed while looking at the map you posted earlier that the out and back up to the peak over on the UFC side was missing. I agree. Nicely built and routed trail. Now if there was just a super gnar descent option off the top ala' Bone Shaker that would be awesome. Although retracing back down the climb is a good descent as well.

Proud American
    Last edited by bluejudad; 11-11-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Adding a link

mtbr member
    If a rider wants to venture out who do they need to contact?
    How far a drive is this from say 215 and 95?
    What is the best way to drive and what landmarks does one look for?

thanks
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    If a rider wants to venture out who do they need to contact?
    How far a drive is this from say 215 and 95?
    What is the best way to drive and what landmarks does one look for?

thanks
    MR. D... I wouldn't contact anybody. Just take the 215 over to the 15 and head north just past Apex to the Old 93 (Great Basin HWY). Its about 30 miles to the 168. You can't miss it. You'll see the Coyote Springs Entrance. Take the 168 a few miles down the road till you see on the left a turn off with a big mound of gravel. Behind the fence (which is very passable) is Dry Gulch Rd. Its an old narrow road. Bike up the road and you will see trail markers (some painted on ground and others represented by a proper sign) on both the left and right side. Print out the map that is on this thread. By the way.... there is a Coyote Springs web siteCoyote Springs Golf Course - Jack Nicklaus Signature Design - Nevada

From Las Vegas
    Take I-15 North to Exit 64 (Highway 93). Take Highway 93 North 28 miles to State Route 168. Go right and the Coyote Springs entrance is less than 1 mile on your left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wow! UFC trail is Sick! A lot of fun and a lot of hard work went into those trails! Please sure we continue to ride so they stay nice!

Anyone know who was the original desiner/builder? I know the golf course built theres up but what about on the other side? Whoever...Good Job its amazing!

Proud American
    Jvegas87... glad you enjoyed UFC. However, since the time of this original post Coyote Springs has authorized riding on their private property to be organized through Southern Nevada Mountain Bike Association (SNMBA). SNMBA hosts public group rides monthly or you can join SNMBA and be there with other members on a more regular basis. This is to keep track of all who show up and make sure they sign the legal waivers to protect the the Riders and land operators. Contact SNMBA through their Facebook site at www.facebook.com/SNMBA. Otherwise, authorities may be called due to trespassing ordinance. But, no worries, because SNMBA is a great group that will accommodate you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ok cool, ill have my daughter look into it, shes more facebook savy and has an account. I signed up for this forum just googling more sites after my trip up to coyote springs.

Is there a contact person that i could contact? someone i could call, again dont wanna wait for my daughter to get home, now im excited didnt know there was a club!!!!!!

Also, since you seem to know a bunch about that area....when i went on UFC trail, I saw some other trails on the other side of the road (west side i think), are those part of the same club? do they ride those AND UFC trails on the East side of road (again think east side)???

Proud American
    Yes. Message me privately. Its only $30 to join SNMBA ( Choose Membership | International Mountain Bicycling Association )and we're actually having a club ride there on Saturday morning. Go to the link above and follow instructions. Also, like the FB page.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    www.facebook.com/SNMBA ..... Awesome photos!!!! looks like a real club!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    MR. D... I wouldn't contact anybody.
    This is how we lose access. Unless the property owners have authorized people to just come and go as they please, respect their property.

mtbr member
    I don't know why I was under the impression these trails were in Mesquite, they are almost as close to my house in NLV as Cottonwood/Bootleg. If I sign up for the SNMBA, and sign all applicable waivers, will I be allowed to ride this trail system solo occasionally?

mtbr member

Re: Coyote Springs Ride Saturday Morning

Their not that close. Still about an hr.
    But to answer your question: no you can't. At this time the only way to get access is with SNMBA on one of our events, of which there are not any scheduled. Probably won't have another one til it cools off in the fall.
    But stay tuned, we should have some Brianhead trips coming up when it's dried up and cleared.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Their not that close. Still about an hr.
    But to answer your question: no you can't. At this time the only way to get access is with SNMBA on one of our events, of which there are not any scheduled. Probably won't have another one til it cools off in the fall.
    But stay tuned, we should have some Brianhead trips coming up when it's dried up and cleared.
    You should do a group night ride out there, it's awesome.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast