mtbr member

Cottonwood Canyon - Bonnie and Clyde Info

Hey guys, a few of us are coming down from St. George to escape the snow and freezing temperatures and we're looking for an epic type ride of 25-30 miles. I found a gpx file for Bonnie and Clyde with a diversion to Goodsprings for a beer but in searching it appears this trail is not well used and may be hard to follow. Would this be a good option for us or is there something else someone would recommend?

Thanks
    Dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It is very hard to follow, to the point where I got lost once and had to do a big hike a bike to get out. The last time I was on it a couple of years ago, a couple of sections were big time washed out. As much as I loved riding it, I have written it off. You can easily get that mileage at Cottonwood, and there is a beer store right next to the bike shop, which is the trail head for most.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick response. We'll cross that off the list and go by the bike shop and get a map and some recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    It is very hard to follow, to the point where I got lost once and had to do a big hike a bike to get out. The last time I was on it a couple of years ago, a couple of sections were big time washed out. As much as I loved riding it, I have written it off. You can easily get that mileage at Cottonwood, and there is a beer store right next to the bike shop, which is the trail head for most.

Big B's Trails
    Start at bbt, finish it at the gas pipeline rd take it south to cottonwood do a 8-10 mile loop in CW then head back same way and finish on the bbt again
    I dig dirt!

Viva la Vida!
    I can get you a .GPX that you can follow turn by turn in MotionX on your iPhone.
    MotionX® | MotionX News » MotionX-GPS
    For Bonnie and Clyde right now is the best time of the year to go from the Late Night trail head all the way to Good Springs for drinks and lunch and ride back for an "EPIC" (TM by Specialized) all day ride.
    We just rode it three weeks ago and its not that bad.
    If you are coming this weekend I might be able to put together a ride together for you guys on Sunday.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Young, Shawn Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    I can get you a .GPX that you can follow turn by turn in MotionX on your iPhone.
    For Bonnie and Clyde right now is the best time of the year to go from the Late Night trail head all the way to Good Springs for drinks and lunch and ride back for an "EPIC" (TM by Specialized) all day ride.
    If you are coming this weekend I might be able to put together a ride together for you guys on Sunday.
    Id like to see those tracks. How long a ride was it time wise?
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I have a file for the ride that I got from a link in the Vegas sticky that looks good and with your update we'll stick with the Bonnie and Clyde ride. We will be riding Saturday at about 9:00 and all are welcome.

mtbr member

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Id like to see those tracks. How long a ride was it time wise?
    There you have them Shawn.

Time wise depends on your group as you can see riding time is about 3 hrs for the B&C Loop and about 4.5 hrs all the way to Goodsprings at a nice 7mph pace. Now if you add the couple hrs at the Pioneer saloon drinking and eating + a break at the actual Wilson's Water Thank it can be a 6-7 hr ride.
    I am posting one .gpx here the full B&C loop but there is also a shortcut at the end of the Big Horn Climb through the Yuca gardens that will take another 4 miles off the loop so that can save you another hour if you are press for time.
    I couldn't post the one for the B&C loop all the way to Goodsprings due to the file size so if anybody wants it just PM with your email and it will gladly email that to you.

I also want to quote one of the most influential (at least for me) and knowledgeable MTB riders in town which also happens to probably be the best active trail builder.

"People always complain about the lack of new trails however this is one of the longest officially sanctioned trails and we are loosing it to the indifference of the MTB community"

Yes the trail is washed out and overgrown in different places but that is in part because we don't ride it enough and we certainly don't maintain it (that's a whole other issue all together) never the less just riding it more often will help and will bring awareness to its existence.
    Guycool I know that you like to work and maintain the trails and you know what you are doing so please don't write it off.
    Instead go ride it and do what you can to improve it.
    On a side note this is also one of the few trails where you can get to most of the spots that need work driving your vehicle and hauling all the tools food and refreshment that you might need.
    *DISCLOSURE*
    I am not saying or suggesting that anyone should go out there and work on the trail with out the proper authorization from the owner of the land.

I am just stating the facts.
    So go ride your bikes on this great trail while the weather is favorable.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Camaleon; 12-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.

Viva la Vida!
    Yeah there you have it that is the one going all the way to Goodsprings
    If you get the phone of the Pioneer Salon you can even call in advance and have hot pizza and cold beer waiting for you once you get there.

I like MotionX because once you upload the .gpx and hit follow it will tell you once you are off the course. I am sure that you can do the same with some garmins or other devices but that's what I use to follow unknown and hard to follow trails.
    I will love to join you guys but unfortunately I don't have enough time on Saturday.
    Have fun and remember that once you come back down the "Three Mile Smile" you can still go down "White Rhino" and head towards "Black Velvet" then continue on to the "Land Mine Loop" clockwise down to Blue Diamond grab some more snacks and drinks and climb back to the Late Night Parking via "The Hurl" to "Rusty Bucket" to "Duckie" making it a truly "EPIC" (TM by Specialized) all day tour of Cottonwood

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    ..."EPIC" (TM by Specialized)...
    ROFL!! I just noticed this! Funny sh*t!

Viva la Vida!
    Better safe than sorry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Start at bbt, finish it at the gas pipeline rd take it south to cottonwood do a 8-10 mile loop in CW then head back same way and finish on the bbt again
    More info please! Specifically the gas pipeline road section. There's clearly one major dirt road coming from the BBT towards Blue Diamond but it looks a bit iffy as it gets nearer BD. I'd love to try it sometime.

mtbr member

shortened Bonnie

Cottonwood Canyon - Bonnie and Clyde Info-bonnie.jpgI'm looking at the tracks now in google earth. Is it pretty easy to lop off the additional 5-6 miles by connecting right at Wilsons tank? Looks like the trails get pretty close there right below Wilsons Tank. Worth shortening or would I be cutting out awesome trail?

Viva la Vida!
    You will be cutting out some AWESOME trail.
    Including the Big Horn Sheep Climb and The Yucca forest.

mtbr member
    You will be cutting out some AWESOME trail.
    Including the Big Horn Sheep Climb and The Yucca forest.
    What about doing the portions you mentioned as an extension to Wilsons tank but then tying back into Wilsons tank without going all the way around the mtn? I'm assuming at worst I could link the two with the dirt road there. Looking for more of an extension from the top of 3 mile smile and Wilsons Tank.

Viva la Vida!
    Yes you can also ride up to Wilsons tank and continue on to do the upper Bonnie and Clyde Loop.

mtbr member
    I think I'm going to have to do some exploring over the break....Can't wait.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is some good info. I will have to check out some of these longer trails.
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com