Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Consolidated Mountain Bike Trail Listing for Southern Nevada?

7K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  Camaleon 
#1 ·
After reading the Twlight thread in this group, its obvious to me there is some confusion on where trails are located, that an integrated trail guide might be a nice thing. Ugh. I'm sort of a new guy here, but I sure can't find decent trail maps of the greater Las Vegas area. I'd sure like to fix that. From another thread:
knoob said:
Our trails are not marked worth a sh!t! But there is some help coming on that front. Hopefully 1st part of the new year.
I would like to VOLUNTEER (that means free!) to put an integrated map / lookup system together for the area. I've made a few calls and email submissions to the local organizations with this offer, none of them have bothered to respond. Not sure why that is so hard. What I'm looking for is a not-for-profit web site that is willing to display mountain bike trail maps.

I've spent time in Strava, endomondo, garmin connect, seen the two large paper maps of the area, done plenty of google searches, etc... Its clear to me that there is no way to overview what's available in the area. I'm a computer geek, with lots of web experience (CSS, DB, Javascript, java, php, Ajax libraries, etc..) I've been playing around with the Google map API's lately. The web site that sticks in my head for a decent format are the individual trails linked from the Sun Valley Idaho trail map... BCRD Summer TraiLink - Home

I'm thinking:

--Map oriented overview of trails in the area.
--directions to trailhead, including parking instructions.
--couple of comments about the trail.
--Map which can EASILY be printed on 8.5x11" paper so you can slip it into your pocket for your ride.
--GPS route for easy download from the web site (.gpx format?)
--Three times around your block does not really qualify as a mountain bike trail. (Yup, you did it on your mountain bike, and yup, you threw it onto garmin connect, but ...that doesn't really work.)

The goal is that a visitor (or even long time local resident) can go to a search engine, type in "Las Vegas area mountain bike trail maps" and find an integrated system to help them choose a ride, drive a car to the trail head and negotiate the trail safely.

Again, what I'm looking for is a not-for-profit web site that is willing to display mountain bike trail maps.

The meetup organization is one place, but an integrated map tab won't really fit into their current web schema (I strongly recommend that they save money, do their own thing. ref: Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup )

The Southern Nevada Mountain Bike Assoc ( SNMBA | Southern Nevada Mountain Bike Association | SNMBA ) would be a great place to post, but they apparently aren't interested. They don't answer their phone or email and don't check their messages, sigh. Their web site shows the next meeting is 12 Sept 2012. I'm thinking they are not on top of their game.

Your comments? Does anybody have names, email address, phone #'s for direct contacts of local groups? (The web site "contact us now" stuff is apparently ignored...)

If you need to respond to me personally, please use the private message system. Many thanks, zip.

See less See more
#39 ·
CAMALEON--> I welcome all forms of criticism and especially when it's constructive =) Thanks for the insight. I guess I just figured the folks that didn't want to mess with the fancy schmancy stuff would just use the print map and print it.... This is no excuse, but I do know there are holes in the site.... I am working on it. I am a one man band so it's sorta slow....and later this year I hope to make things work MUCH better on the site across all platforms (phones especially).

Specifically, I would love to know what you had trouble with so I can look at any options to make it easier =)! Was it the "Garmin custom maps"?? Or the MAPRIKA app Maps??
Please let me know so I can try to improve the user experience-as my MAIN focus is trying to make it EASY to use....Should I have more info on the site about "HOW" to use the site?

As far as Not having all the trails....Now I am very curious as to what ones I am missing!!!??

Happy Trails and feel free to shoot me an email at info@mountainbikemaps.com anytime!! =)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.