Proud American

Bristlecone to Cold Creek... what gives?

This past Friday I rode Bristlecone with a friend and noticed a turn off trail about 3 or 4 miles up the trail. I asked him where that went, and he had no idea. We didn't stop to read the signage, as we were pedaling up the hill. Today.. we took a Father's day trip to Cold Creek and after checking out the wild horses continued up the road to 'Bonanza Trail' head. Lo and behold.... the map showed an 18 mile path connecting to Bristlecone. I got so excited, but, was quickly saddened by the "no bikes" sign. WTF! We walked, as a family about a mile up the trail and it was perfect for MTBing. Given the status of Bristlecone (as multi-use), why in the world is a connecting 18 mile trail not open to biking. I imagine very few people hike that length trail regularly. Anybody know anything about this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have ridden my bike up the bonanza trail a little ways from the bristlecone side. Bikes are not allowed from what I hear but it was midweek and curiousity got the best of me. Didn't see a soul. The trail was pretty steep and there were switchbacks heading up. I didn't get too far before I had to turn back. I have always wanted to explore more. The part that I did wasn't the best, straight lines, steep inclines, 180 degree switchbacks. The dirt and topography is killer (darker dirt and pines). I would imagine that if the trail leveled off just a little after the steep elevation climb at the begining that it would be great. I have heard that parts of the trail in the middle between cold creak and bristlecone are too rocky to bike through (climb a bike) but I have never been back that far. I don't know if it is a. Ig deal or not to be on this trail. Weekdays in the afternoons are usually really quiet up there.

mtbr member
    I "think" it's in Wilderness Area.... or at least parts of it are. I've ridden from the Bristlecone side up to the Wilderness sign (maybe a 1/2 to 3/4 miles) many times in the past... but I have no idea what happens after that.

I'd love some more info on this as well. I didn't know it connected clear over to Cold Creek. That would be an awesome ride.

Proud American
    KRob... The mile or so of trail on the Cold Creek side is perfectly suited (in my opinion) for MTB. I understand there might be some hike-a-bike parts midway or so, but, that length of beautiful forested single track would be outstanding. That "wilderness" thing is a joke. And... apparently it's cool for horses. Another joke.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    So when are we all going to go out and ride this thing? My vote would be to end at cold creek as that trail head is at a lower elevation than the bristlecone trail head.

Proud American
    Bcall8....All ready in discussions. I agree with start location. I'm ready to go!

mtbr member
    I'm in..... although I don't usually come down to LV in the summer. Maybe later in the September.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Has anyone contacted the local Forest Service Dept. and asked them? I was under the impression that if caught in a "Wilderness Area", your bike would be confiscated and you would be fined.... If not, let's ride the heck outta that trail

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Based on the signage bikes can ride one mile up Bonanza off of Bristlecone. The climb up is brutal but the roi is well worth it. You get tight single track with nice switch backs. I would do it all day long if my lungs allowed for the climb.

Proud American
    I'm down for this weekend.

keepin' it rural
    iair is right, bikes aren't allowed past the wilderness area signs on Bonanza all the way to Cold Creek. Past the wilderness sign to Macfarland Peak would be a tough climb, definitely several hike-a-bike sections until you get to the base of Macfarland, but doable if it were allowed. My brother in law works at the juvenile detention center up at Charleston and he and a group of the kids works with the NFS to clear and maintain the trails up there. It's probably not a good idea to poach this trail and risk hurting our already limited access up there.

BTW the hike up to the peak of Macfarland is a great hike! you have to scramble about 1,110 feet in .5 miles, but the payoff is worth it.

mtbr member
    I have to agree ! BAD IDEA ! Punishment starts at $5000 up to $350,000 and jail time if it is an endangered species habitat.....oh AND CONFISCATION OF YOUR BIKE!

At a time when we are making progress opening communication with USF & BLM it could really hurt us,mtb'er,in the long run.

So ride the mile thats legal,it is alot of work up, and alot of fun down. I rode it last nite. But please don't poach it! The odds of doing it and not being seen by a hiker or Ranger are next to nil.

So enjoy the tree's and lower temps up there. But please don't give the haters any ammo.

Sorry to be a buzz kill. Just my take on it.

Sent using BOTH my thumbs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Punishment starts at $5000 up to $350,000 and jail time if it is an endangered species habitat.....oh AND CONFISCATION OF YOUR BIKE!
    OK. Nevermind. I'm OUT.

mtbr member
    Quote: CONFISCATION OF YOUR BIKE!

Wow, I just got Turner to replace my cracked frame and have been borrowing
    a bike from whomever had one available. I can't risk losing it again I guess I will be a
    hiker.

It would be cool to see a bunch of bikes parked at the Bristlecone trail head showing
    people we love the forest as well.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    I have to agree ! BAD IDEA ! Punishment starts at $5000 up to $350,000 and jail time if it is an endangered species habitat.....oh AND CONFISCATION OF YOUR BIKE!

At a time when we are making progress opening communication with USF & BLM it could really hurt us,mtb'er,in the long run.

So ride the mile thats legal,it is alot of work up, and alot of fun down. I rode it last nite. But please don't poach it! The odds of doing it and not being seen by a hiker or Ranger are next to nil.

So enjoy the tree's and lower temps up there. But please don't give the haters any ammo.

Sorry to be a buzz kill. Just my take on it.

Sent using BOTH my thumbs
    Alright! Dammit! I don't wanna give the hater ammo. Just can't stand idiotic policies. I guess I'll head to Guacamole or do Tin Can Alley this weekend.

Thanks for the input people. Might have saved me 5K +

keepin' it rural
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    Alright! Dammit! I don't wanna give the hater ammo. Just can't stand idiotic policies. I guess I'll head to Guacamole or do Tin Can Alley this weekend.

Thanks for the input people. Might have saved me 5K +
    I hear ya, i would love to try and ride to Charleston Peak via the North Loop! If you could ride it in one shot via the South Loop you would deserve your own plaque at the start of the trailhead.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I think Mr. D has a good idea. We should schedule a time where we get as many bikes up on that trail head as possible. We can do it respectfully showing the forest service that we are not a bunch of monkeys but a group of responsible people who should be allowed to enjoy the area too.
    I suggest we do it on a Saturday or Sunday in July when that trail is likely to be most busy.
    Who is in with me?