mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Bootleg Canyon -- protection?

What's the norm for riding Bootleg Canyon regarding using or not using knee/shin/and or elbow pads? Excluding the dedicated downhill runs, would the protective gear be overkill here or reasonably warranted? And if so, which specific gear is most appropriate/desired?

I'm trying to balance protection against comfort assuming a full day of riding. I am a capable rider, but have not been on this trail yet so just looking to be more prepared (ego checked at the trailhead).

Appreciate any feedback ... and if possible, any specific pad recos that others have found success with for this trail in terms of weight/protectiveness/heat/etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    There are some rough spots in the dedicated xc trails for sure, but I still don't wear protective gear other than helmet and gloves. Most of it is not super technical, and I just walk a little here and there. It is very fun!!! Go for the high comfort factor.

MyBikeStand.com
    Here is a new short film that hightlights some of the dh . but you can get an idea of surrounding areas = Featured Short Film - TIME IS THE ENEMY - BOOTLEG CANYON AND PIRATES | MyBikeStand.com

mtbr member
    For a first timer to bootleg I think pads would be a good idea. Everything is sharp I have fox launch Knee pads and I find the pads very comfortable. I also have six one elbow pads.

good luck and have fun
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    For a first timer to bootleg I think pads would be a good idea. Everything is sharp I have fox launch Knee pads and I find the pads very comfortable. I also have six one elbow pads.

good luck and have fun
    +1 Everything is sharp out there I never ride Bootleg without hardshell protection (POC) or (Lizard Skins)
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Young, Shawn Young
    Under age of 40- You dont need any stinkin protection!
    Over age of 40- Yes, armor is your friend. Your old and break easier(and dont forget the permission slip from the wife)
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Young, Shawn Young
    All kidding aside I am 47 and I still dont wear armor although there were plenty of crashes where I wish I had. I have started to think about getting some leg and arm protection but havent made the jump yet. For Bootleg it cant hurt. Even the XC trails will get you if you go down, you have my word on that!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

keepin' it rural

knee-shins

although i haven't had a bad crash out there in quite some time, I always wear my knee-shin guards. Like others have said everything is sharp and pointy out there, i've taken friends to the emergency room to get stitched up several times due to minor crashes, but a bush or rock caught them just right to give them a good slice.

Also consider your riding style. I am very familiar with the trails and know most of the lines to take, but i never like to walk a section and always try to ride my hardest when im descending, so a bad crash usually isn't to far away. If you are going to take it easy and don't mind walking unfamiliar sections then you could totally get by without any protection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

thx to all ...

appreciate the feedback, pads it will be then.

btw, WingNutt ... Nice vid! works well for background. for those looking for another quick link if the website proves uncooperative ... Time is the Enemy: Bootleg Canyon - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    They don't sell Bootleg Canyon Blood Donor t-shirts for nothing. Knee/shin protection does help when you go down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Pedal to the top with my knee pads strapped to my pack. Pad up at the top of Boy Scout and bomb back down to the car.

mtbr member
    I always wear knee pads in the desert....ya just never know.

MyBikeStand.com
    Thanks it was filmed by Endless Thoughts Media and featured on the site.

desert dweller
    I ride with softshell 661 kevlar knee/shin pads now after two crashes that ended up with me in the ER last year. Redmon's if your over 40 -- is correct! I'm thinking i wouldn't mind getting some soft elbow pads as well.

mbb

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    no protection, just ride:}

mtbr member
    Come on Guys, It just takes one fall and you could be in the hospital or dead. Let's keep us protected as much as possible. I would wear the reccomended protection on Bootleg. Have Fun!

mtbr member

Re: Bootleg Canyon -- protection?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJITSU View Post
    Come on Guys, It just takes one fall and you could be in the hospital or dead. Let's keep us protected as much as possible. I would wear the reccomended protection on Bootleg. Have Fun!
    The "recomended protection" is what you feel safe with.

I just watched some vids from the race a couple of weeks ago up there, and half of those guys had nothing more than gloves and full face helmets on doin downhill race runs.

If you have it, wear it. Everything is sharp and hard.
    If you don't, just don't fall and "it's all good"