mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Best tires for our trails?

Currently running Hutchinson Pythons and they seem to be lacking in the grip area on dirt/rocks/loose gravel. I've been reading and reading but have yet to hear anything from our local riders which I feel is most important being that we likely ride the same trails.

So, in your opinion, what tires have you found to be the best?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I swear by the small block 8 in the back and the rapid rob in the front. They're light, durable, and grippy as sh*t.

I run the panracer rampage on the front with the exeriwolf on the back of my other bike but both those tires are super heavy but have been going strong here for 2 years.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Best tires for our trails? I like to run black ones.
    You'll probably get almost as many answers as there are tires. Tires are a very personal perference and opinions will be allover the place. I ran Pythons on a bike for quite a while a couple of years ago and I thought they were great on some trails and not so hot on others. Every tire I've tried has given me the same results...mixed. Some are better on hardpack without much loose over it, some are better on softer ground, some are better on rocky stuff, some are light but tear the sidewall easily, others are heavy and tough as nails. With all of the loose gravelly, rocky stuff we have out here on top of harder packed surface, you'll be hard pressed to find a tire that will give you the best of everything. It depends on your riding style and what stuff you ride on. The tires aren't the weak link in my riding, the motor is.
    There are a lot of good tires out there: Nevagals, Racing Ralphs (rapid rob is like the old racing ralph), Minions, small block 8, etc. etc. etc. I try to balance weight, tread design, likely durability and maybe most importantly, PRICE. I refuse to pay $50 for a bike tire. Pick your poison and pay your money.

mtbr member
    Are you tubeless?

What pressure are you running F/R?

Pressure makes a HUGE difference.

I run a Hans Dampf 2.35, 25 psi in front and a Fat Albert 2.4, 27-29 psi in back. Both tubeless.

Tires are not cheap,but neither are ER visits, and since your tire's are what you depend on to keep you upright in corners it's not something I want to cut corners(pun intended) on.

YMWV

Young, Shawn Young
    Tubeless
    Small block 8s are great for out here and tough
    Racing Ralphs a close second and what Ive been running the last few years.

As someone said keep you PSI as low as you can. I run my converted rims with RRs at 19PSI
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Running with tubes right now.

I actually just got back from Late Night Trail and I did in fact eat ****. Nearly over the handle bars and landed on some rocks. Thankfully I didn't get hurt.

I was running 25psi front and back. Maybe I go too fast? I just feel like I'm constantly sliding in my turns, mostly understeer.

I understand I am still new but my tires just FEEL like they're holding me back right now. Rear tire spinning out on hill climbs unless I really push my weight forward.

Young, Shawn Young
    Seeing as python seems to be one of their racing tires your giving up better traction for speed/performance. You might want something with bigger knobs but still light. Also, the python doesnt look like it has much in the way of side lugs for cornering. Did I say Racing Ralphs???
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Conti Trail King 2.4's. If you're worried about efficiency, these aren't your tires. If you like to ride over stuff instead of around it, these are your tires. These float in the sandy stuff like on Landmine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I LOVE my maxxis minions. I run the 2.5 exo casing. Great for the corners.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmeyers View Post
    Conti Trail King 2.4's. If you're worried about efficiency, these aren't your tires. If you like to ride over stuff instead of around it, these are your tires. These float in the sandy stuff like on Landmine.
    They lack grip, I put a pair on before going to Cowboy, took them right off. Lots of volume, loved them on the way up, but they were scary as soon as I got into the dirt on Bomb Voyage.

2.35 UST Kenda Nevegals, flexible and strong sidewall, and unbeatable grip from the center and side knobs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    29er ir 26?

I ride a 29er and have had fantastic results with a fat purgatory up front and a spec captian in the back.

mtbr member
    I ride whatever old free tire friends give me.

I used to roll 2.5 front and rear specialized butcher with 27lbs fr and 33 lbs rear tubes with slimes. I enjoyed the setup.

Now I am trying 2.35 fr and rear mixed brand of tires still tubes and slime took a little riding to get used to smaller tires but still having fun.

I love to ride and I dont worry so much about brand of tire, I just want a tire with good knobby center and something on the edge of the tire to hold corners.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Conti Trail King 2.2 Tubeless tires with the protection sidewalls.

Absolutely ****ing awesome with 28ish PSI in em.

Have had them on for 2 riding seasons now, and they still grip out here better than anything I've tried.

(Tried every damn Kenda you can think of, tried Bontrager's, tried Specialized's line of tires, etc)

I've yet to find anything that holds a line like the Trail Kings out here. Just make sure to install them facing in the correct directions for front and rear.

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    They lack grip, I put a pair on before going to Cowboy, took them right off. Lots of volume, loved them on the way up, but they were scary as soon as I got into the dirt on Bomb Voyage.

2.35 UST Kenda Nevegals, flexible and strong sidewall, and unbeatable grip from the center and side knobs.
    The nevegals didn't last me more than a few weeks. The UST versions lose their warranty when you use sealant. Lol. Anyways, they get those bulge/blisters after a few weeks of riding. I don't have that problem with the Conti's. To each their own.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmeyers View Post
    The nevegals didn't last me more than a few weeks. The UST versions lose their warranty when you use sealant. Lol. Anyways, they get those bulge/blisters after a few weeks of riding. I don't have that problem with the Conti's. To each their own.
    Been running Stan's with Nevegals for years, never had a problem with blistering or delamination. Sounds like there was a bad batch somewhere along the way and has turned into an internet sensation.

100 miles of Bootleg and Cowboy will eat up a rear tire, and I go through one front for every two rears. After spending a few G's on a bike, I'm not going to cry about a $40 tire wearing out. I'd rather pay that than have to worry about a lower level of performance every time I pointed the bike downhill.

Referring to the 26" version, btw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've been running Nevagals for over two years and there's a reason they have been the top rated tire for over three, they work. Of course I run them tubeless with Stans and most of the 2.1s blister but I've never had a 2.3 have that problem. Funny right, but even funnier is that the tires that Stans sell under their label are made by Kenda. I contacted Kenda and talked to them about the problem and they sent me a new tire. BTW, Kenda has started marketing a new Nevegal that is supposed to be selant compatable.