Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bears Best MTB Trail

88K views 602 replies 67 participants last post by  Camaleon 
#1 · (Edited)
Bears Best MTB Trail [o]'s added

Heres a short(crappy) video of the new climb at BB Trail....this trail is getting better all the time:thumbsup:

#380 ·
That was a fun ride at Bear's Best last night. Too bad that we had two injuries including a possible broken wrist. - M
:eekster:Ouch! Hope their ok, broken wrists SUCK!!!
BBT is a pretty technical ride for a night ride, I'm impressed so many of you get out there and do it in the dark:cool:
Brett that night photo is sweet. Be cool to do a time lapse at night.

#382 ·
NO broken bones for me! Outside of hand is swollen, but I'm gaining movement as the day progresses so It's all good !
It's cool to see so many people out there at nite
Edit: A big thank you to Jeff and Jim(?) a for maken sure i got down ok:thumbup:
Sent from my Galaxy S II

#385 ·
trails were fun!! thanks for building some berms..shows that someone actually cares, more please!!

So a bit of a concern here: at the south end of the trail system where the trail kind of dead ends and spits you out by where the other cement basin is there were a couple people shooting guns pointing west towards the trail system!!! I heard the gunfire but wanted to gain a visual...they were set up on the cement area again pointing west, they had a table set up next to a new red pickup truck, I am guessing that these people had no idea that there is a trail system right behind where they were aiming their guns!!

So just a heads up ...I am from out of town so I just would like to report this inccedent so you all can maybe inform people or put up signs that its not cool to shoot guns there...Im guessing that these trails are fairly new and some people do not know they are there.

I did report this to the police, not trying to get anyone in trouble, I am in all favor of shooting guns...but someone can get shot ya know, so shoot somewhere else!!

on google maps this was down by South Town Center dr. and w tropicana ave....directly west from the T intersection is....some one should go out there and post some signs "not a shooting area!!"

#388 ·
It's not legal to shoot most places in this county ,but the shooters don't care or can't read or both. They feel entitled I think. I have shot out there and many,many other places that are no longer SAFE to shoot at. I was out there couple of weeks ago standing at the first right at the ridge to drop into the downhill and a red truck with a table was shooting east into the hillside(towards town). SO YES, BE AWARE OUT THERE. Wave or yell ,try to get thier attension. If they are not total idiots they should atleast stop, if not realize this is no longer "a cool" spot to go sight in the big gun, cuz they were def shootn a big one that nite.
Sent from my Galaxy S II

#391 ·
That shooting area is to the Summerlin shooting community the same as BBT is to riders. It is technically illegal to shoot there, but it's technically illegal to be in the whole area at all. The fine if caught is less than $100 and nobody cares so nobody issues them. The metro chopper rountinely observes shooting going on there and they have no concern.

There is no danger in shooting into a mini mountain facing the houses. And you don't have to be 3 miles from homes, you have to be 1000' from them.

I ride street and dirt motorcycles, don't mind riding horses, camp, fly airplanes, shoot guns, hike, hunt, and go Jeepin in the great outdoors. I do all this in the same areas that we all too often have to share between the different groups.

None of the groups as whiny as the cyclists. The cyclists always want to cry about horses shitting on their trail or cars going too fast and too close, or motorcycles being too noisy, or hikers that won't get out of the way, or shooters safely shooting into a backstop. Cry about this, cry about that, cry about anybody that's doing anything besides cycling.

To each there own. Just because somebody else likes to practice a different hobby in your area doesn't mean they should stop doing it or stop doing it in your area.

Just my 2 cents, not directed at anyone.

#393 · (Edited)
*That shooting area is to the Summerlin shooting community the same as BBT is to riders. It is technically illegal to shoot there, but it's technically illegal to be in the whole area at all. The fine if caught is less than $100 and nobody cares so nobody issues them. The metro chopper rountinely observes shooting going on there and they have no concern.

REPLY~
It's def. illegal to shoot or ohv in this area as signs have been posted by both summerlin and the blm, here's a map showing so(for shooting only)...

Why do you say it's technically illegal to be there at all?(honest question)
Because, I know for a Fact the county is in the process of building a park and Mtb/hiking trails in this exact spot!

*There is no danger in shooting into a mini mountain facing the houses. And you don't have to be 3 miles from homes, you have to be 1000' from them.

REPLY~
BS.... You have to 1000' from a designated road...paved or not and any occupied facility.
Gaspipeline road IS a designated road. And also smack dab in the middle of the green area(illegal) on the map posted above.
There is a major danger if said area is now populated with other outdoor users including lots of seniors from Sienna and Summerlin South hiking that bluff and Mtb bikers using BBT.
Ever hear of a ricochet hit?
Don't believe it can happen?
Would you like me to provide links to accidents right here in the valley?

*I ride street and dirt motorcycles, don't mind riding horses, camp, fly airplanes, shoot guns, hike, hunt, and go Jeepin in the great outdoors. I do all this in the same areas that we all too often have to share between the different groups.

REPLY~
Good for you! I also do all of those things except fly planes, did get to fly my pops R44 heli a few times though.
Owned all sorts of ohv in my time, just sold my rhino :(

*None of the groups as whiny as the cyclists. The cyclists always want to cry about horses shitting on their trail or cars going too fast and too close, or motorcycles being too noisy, or hikers that won't get out of the way, or shooters safely shooting into a backstop. Cry about this, cry about that, cry about anybody that's doing anything besides cycling.

REPLY~
Don't necessarily disagree with this, however bullets whiz zing past is a lil disconcerting.

*To each there own. Just because somebody else likes to practice a different hobby in your area doesn't mean they should stop doing it or stop doing it in your area.

REPLY~
I agree, except when said hobby can kill another human being.
There's lots of desert outside city limits to go to. There's also a GR less than 3 miles away. :rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents, not directed at anyone.
My REPLYS~ above.
( your remarks are noted with a asterik)
However "we" know I'm no angel (and def. not a tree hugger) so I personally try not to be the "one" to tell others what is illegal or not.... I. love to speed on the freeway on occasion too ;)

#392 ·
^^ I hear ya and I agree that people should be able to recreate in their own way...

but when it comes to shooting guns extra caution needs to be exercised, and not everyone is shooting into a backstop....anyways a hiking/biking trail and shooting range in the same area is not a good idea

either build the trails where they will keep you away from that area or shoot somewhere else

again im not trying to cry or whine, just want to put this out there and make sure people are aware of a potential problem, and I hope something constructive comes out of it

#394 ·
Yes you can post the ricochet incident which happened at a designated shooting area if you want. I had a ricochet from my 7.62x54 rifle at that same location. The bullet flew behind me, hit my truck and landed in the bed. It didn't even scratch the paint. I once fired a 44 mag at a solid target. If whizzed back through the grass and hit my buddy in the shin. It didn't even leave a bruise. Once at an indoor range we were firing 12ga birdshot. When we were done I noticed my buddies shirt looked like it was invaded by termites. We looked down and we were standing in a sea of birdshot that came back at us. I've had two buddies take ricochet splash in the face from a 25mm round that hit right next to them. I've had my face within 1 ft of a quad barrel Russian antiaircraft gun when somebody negligently discharged it.

I still shoot. Still shoot outdoors. Still shoot indoors.

Shooting in any area will pose a remote risk just like anything else you do including sitting on the couch eating buffalo wings. Even after that ricochet death that you refer to the area remains open to shooting because bottom line is "**** happens". That shooting area is "within 1000'" of a major interstate freeway no less and an earshot from a NHP post.

At the Clark County shooting park the road to the rifle/pistol range actually travels directly through the line of fire of the shotgun range which is not an issue if everyone uses clay/birdshot shells. What if some non-firearms expert "most people" goes and says "lets see if I can hit a clay with a slug"? People have done dumber things including shooting themselves once they safely made it through the shotgun firing area and to the rifle/pistol ranges. Someone might die out there one day. It'll remain open. Life goes on.

Dangerous for seniors to be out there? ****. Show me a senior behind behind the wheel of a Mercury Grand Marquis and there's your dangerous situation right there.

Any rider has a far better chance of death and injury from riding the BBT than by getting shot. If safety is what this is about let's close BBT and sell our bikes.

I'm in that area all the time and I've never once witnessed shooters being unsafe. They may have even been firing in my general direction. They see me. They stop.

I used to do early morning/late night raids for a living. I know a thing or two about firearms and danger and none of it stopped me from having some roast chicken and some delicious vinagery sweet cucumber salad and some pita bread afterwards. lol

Anyhow I just got back in from 13 miles of good riding at BBT. I could've died, got shot, crashed, ran over by a Jeep, I know, but **** it, it's fun and good exercise.

#395 · (Edited)
Lmao, good reply :thumbsup: least your honest about it.... And like I said I'm not gonna lose sleep over it either, if it happens it happens... But the possibility is there as your own experiences testify to. We'll now have to decide if the lower section of the trail will be called "sitting duck", "shooting gallery", "ricochet", "gun show", or ???
:smilewinkgrin:

What about your comment about "being out there is technically illegal period" ????
Do you mean for shooters or peeps in general?

#397 ·
Lol those are those are some good names. Firing line, combat zone, ammo alley, Baghdad bonzai, ambush alley, bullet sponge, war zone wash a few more.

In all seriousness the shooting I've seen is mostly people shooting clays from the basin itself in a westerly direction. People by the trash/debris shooting area shooting west or easterly. I've never personally seen anyone shooting towards BBT. Those areas are between 1/4-1/2 mile from BBT I wouldn't sweat it. In fact it would be awesome if during the process of Clark County doing all these other projects an official Summerlin shooting area would be cool. I know there's Desert Sportsman within spitting distance of the beginning of BBT, but the more the merrier. A Summerlin shooting spot for people who don't want to join a club.

The thing that does scare me is that psychotic bum that lives on the hill. The other day he or she was screaming some obscenities and screaming about stabbing somebody. Me, the guy riding down the new section or somebody else. Beats me who it was talking about wanting to stab up, but it was alarming.

You're probably more familiar with the boundaries between the Red Rock Conservation area and the Summerlin Boundary than I am. We know for certain that OHV and shooting are explicitly prohibited. Conservation areas are typically by default no go zones unless specific activities are approved in specific approved areas. I don't have anything in front of me that says it's closed to any and all activity, but that is usually what conservation area means. Humans not welcome.

#398 ·
Homeless Harry is def. a interesting dude :crazy: ... I've had ridge to ridge "discussions" with him ;) the wind seems to set him off more than anything.

The barb wire fence is the supposed boundary line for the conservation area....however after several discussions with the red rock blm office it seems as if it's the "forgotten land", they say their boundary for RRNCA is the edge of the bluff high above. On GIS maps it shows the area being a mix of Howard Hughes( private) and BLM so I think it's just kinda a in between buffer zone with no real use planned. However as I said above Clark County has announced plans to build a park and hiking/mtb trails on the major bluff to the south overlooking Mesa park below :) ( the mountain directly south of the trop detention basin)

#399 ·
That mesa is a heck of a climb. Heart attack hill x6. I remember when I 1st started getting back into the whole fitness thing a few years ago my legs were ready to explode by the time I got half way up that mamajamma.

Time to jog the BBT and rest the bike today. Start from heart attack hill go up towards Harry's hill, down three bridges and around past the rest bench and back down aydenator.

BBT everyday :thumbsup:

#400 ·
Time to jog the BBT and rest the bike today. Start from heart attack hill go up towards Harry's hill, down three bridges and around past the rest bench and back down aydenator.
That's a great lil loop and is my quickie ride when I don't have enought time for bigger ones... I like it opposite direction as well... The climb your calling up towards "Harry" is actually called "Boner". So you would be doing ...HA>Boner>TresBridges>SlickWilly>Aydenator>HA :thumbsup:

#402 ·
Shooting in any area will pose a remote risk just like anything else you do including sitting on the couch eating buffalo wings. Even after that ricochet death that you refer to the area remains open to shooting because bottom line is "**** happens". That shooting area is "within 1000'" of a major interstate freeway no less and an earshot from a NHP post.

Really? Come on, riding a bike and getting hurt is quite a bit different than shooting your gun illegally or otherwise. As a gun owner you better be a hell of alot more responsible when discharging your WEAPON.
I have been riding in the same area and upon hearing gunshots just turned around. I know people do it and Im not opposed to it but there is a HUGE responsibility as a gun owner to your safety and others. To think otherwise is ignorant.

#405 ·
Really? Come on, riding a bike and getting hurt is quite a bit different than shooting your gun illegally or otherwise. As a gun owner you better be a hell of a lot more responsible when discharging your WEAPON.
I have been riding in the same area and upon hearing gunshots just turned around. I know people do it and I'm not opposed to it but there is a HUGE responsibility as a gun owner to your safety and others. To think otherwise is ignorant.[/QUOTE]

Turning around every time you hear gunshots in the desert is ignorant. For all you know they're a mile and 3 ridges over. Thinking you're in danger when somebody's half a mile a way shooting in another direction which generally describes the typical shooter/cyclist encounter out there is also ignorant.

I was jogging the BBT the other day and 2 men and a young boy were shooting directly at BBT. This was the first time I had ever witnessed this risky setup. They were parked a little further down the fire road past the bbq grill. I heard the shots, very loud since they were no more than 125 yds away. I rounded the corner made contact with them, yelled and waved "hey mind if I run through your range", they ceased fire till I was well away and I continued on. No big deal. I didn't turn around, didn't cry out of fear, didn't trip over a rock, heck I wasn't even all that thirsty. In fact when I got down there I went over and had a chat with them. I let them know that they were firing directly towards a well traveled mountain bike trail.They've been shooting there for 10 years. Nice folks kid was very well mannered.

#406 ·
I rode past those guys Sunday. They were aiming at a hillside just beyond the trail. I was concerned when they continued shooting even as I approached the turn closest to their target. The older man said they were well aware of the bike trail and the presence of riders and, as noted above, stated that he'd been shooting here for many years.

I'm not a gun guy. I'm assuming it's safe to shoot in the desert and I'm all for personal freedom. It just seemed a little close to me. And it seems illegal.

If I had had my cellphone and called metro, would anything have happened?

Should we report shooters? Who do we call?

Or is it best just to let Nevada be Nevada and ride our great new (bootleg) trail in anonymity?

#407 ·
lol I can't imagine how that would go if Metro was called. Like I said in my 1st post on the subject. The metro chopper regularly cruises over the area. They show no interest and no one ever shows up.

Caller: omg 911, there are people target shooting in the desert.

Operator: Sir you should call the non-emergency 311 number for that or just go ahead and not call us at all next time. All our officers are currently engaged in revenue generating operations on Hualapai between Trop and Flamingo citing soccer moms on their way to Smith's. We're going to charge you with misuse of the 911 emergency system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.