Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Bbt - what's with all the bright colored posts and flags?

Just rode bbt last night for the first time in weeks and noticed many bright colored posts and flags. Are those marking for upcoming excavation or is someone marking for a possible organizaed race?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It looks to me as though they are laying out the golf course. The green posts have the flags with the hole # on them. The Blue posts are marked as fairway on the spike driven into the ground next to the post. Not sure what the red posts are for as I haven't gotten close enough to one to check. Maybe the start of the next hole as they always seem to be positioned after the green posts in order of blue, green then red.

I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts...

official eMpTyBRain
    Looks like construction of some sort is finally coming. Another one bites the dust?
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mdk89135 View Post
    It looks to me as though they are laying out the golf course. The green posts have the flags with the hole # on them. The Blue posts are marked as fairway on the spike driven into the ground next to the post. Not sure what the red posts are for as I haven't gotten close enough to one to check. Maybe the start of the next hole as they always seem to be positioned after the green posts in order of blue, green then red.

I'm enjoying the ride while it lasts...
    I bet red is the tee box . . . . really sad to see this trail network go, as its one of the most fun trails around. We do need more mega-McMansion's and another golf course though because housing is so limited in this town and the existing golf courses are overrun with players
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Viva la Vida!
    On the bright side it's a desert out there.
    Build them and they will ride them.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Look to the south of BBT. I rode some stuff in there the other day that was pretty cool. It is a little washed out right now from the mega storm that hit last week but in a week or so with some tracks on it the trail should clean right up.

Look for it on Strava.

b a n n e d
    It goes without saying, but get your miles in on BBT while you can. I rode there this morning and for the first time, saw active work crews out there and with each ride, there are more and more markers.

My prediction: fenced off on January 1.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well the bulldozing has started. I rode today and noticed a bulldozer has started to plow a road through the trail. The beginning of the end is here.

official eMpTyBRain
    This is heart breaking news.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

\m/ \m/
    Sad
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    **CLOSED**

It's official. BBT is now closed the No Tress signs are up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I had a chance to talk to a surveyor placing more posts today. Two gentlemen were on 4 wheelers around the area of the clubhouse/pool if you saw those markers earlier.

Couple takeaways from the conversation:

- He thought heavy equipment would arrive end of next week/beginning of November. They are cutting in a road so that folks could drive out to see the area up to the clubhouse area (and beyond?).

- They seem worried about touching BLM land - they are purposely offsetting 5 feet from the BLM property (the fence?). He mentioned another conversation with a mountain biker about trails on BLM land that would allow us access to the new stuff to the south from north around the construction. Anyone got a map? I thought BLM land was a no-no for us too.

- The area he described to be developed was bigger than I pictured in my mind it to be. He was talking about land all the way up to the southern flood basin over by Mesa park.

- He wasn't sure why they haven't placed Keep Out signs or are making an effort to keep us away, but thought maybe once the heavy stuff moved in we'd see some signs - he didn't seem to care that I was out there. Wasn't sure (didn't know) if a fence would go up for the initial earth moving operation.

Have fun while lasts...

Edit - saw the post above after I hit enter - sad day indeed. Where did you see the signs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This is sad. A lot of work went into building these trails and now they are gone.

About 20 years ago, I lived in SLC, UT and rode corner canyon frequently. They began to develop the area where the trails were that we had been riding and the MTBers got upset about it. Fortunately, Draper was aware of the situation and required the developer to build new trails for MTBers to use. At the end of the day, not many trails were lost but the trail system improved dramatically. Now, there is a corner canyon high school nearby that has literally hundreds of kids that are on the MTB team for the HS. The area has blown up for riding and the work is being done professionally. If you haven't been there, it is a must see and ride.

Why does that not happen here?

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by 702Biff View Post
    **CLOSED**

It's official. BBT is now closed the No Tress signs are up.
    When was the last time you rode up there?
    Reason I ask is because they had been NO TRESPASSING signs there for a long time already, did you see any new ones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    When was the last time you rode up there?
    Reason I ask is because they had been NO TRESPASSING signs there for a long time already, did you see any new ones?
    I have not personally been there in the past week. The local groups are saying that the signs are up or going up very soon. A LBS has posted that they were told yesterday that BBT is now closed and signs would go up this week. Reportedly a road has been carved thru part of the trail system.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I posted on the road being plowed through the trail. That being said they has been no trespassing signs there for along time; there is one facing the street by the sidewalk.

Now I would imagine people are seeing a lot more signs than they are used too. I would imaging chain link to go up soon as it will bet dangerous having bikers out there with heavy equipment moving dirt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mennylove View Post
    This is sad. A lot of work went into building these trails and now they are gone.

About 20 years ago, I lived in SLC, UT and rode corner canyon frequently. They began to develop the area where the trails were that we had been riding and the MTBers got upset about it. Fortunately, Draper was aware of the situation and required the developer to build new trails for MTBers to use. At the end of the day, not many trails were lost but the trail system improved dramatically. Now, there is a corner canyon high school nearby that has literally hundreds of kids that are on the MTB team for the HS. The area has blown up for riding and the work is being done professionally. If you haven't been there, it is a must see and ride.

Why does that not happen here?
    I don't see anyone buying a home worth many many millions of dollar in an area being touted as the most expensive development in Vegas to want me - some sweaty mountain biker going through his backyard.

The reality is this is private land and they can do with it what they want. it all comes down to money; none of which will be designed to accommodate some dude on a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by oilnewby View Post
    I don't see anyone buying a home worth many many millions of dollar in an area being touted as the most expensive development in Vegas to want me - some sweaty mountain biker going through his backyard.

The reality is this is private land and they can do with it what they want. it all comes down to money; none of which will be designed to accommodate some dude on a mountain bike.
    True... but this also depends on the market and the community. I have been to Corner Canyon in Draper and can assure you that there are million dollar plus homes right next to the trail head. So it can be done......I don't think that its a possibility with this development which is a bummer. Guess we better build more, good thing its fun to ride and to build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bcall8 View Post
    True... but this also depends on the market and the community. I have been to Corner Canyon in Draper and can assure you that there are million dollar plus homes right next to the trail head. So it can be done......I don't think that its a possibility with this development which is a bummer. Guess we better build more, good thing its fun to ride and to build.
    That's a fair point. Utah is a very friendly outdoor activity state and probably and arguably one of the best biking states out there.

mtbr member
    Dreamers might think that the BLM would step up to the plate and allow new trails to be built on the land just west of BBT to replace what has been lost to the community. A bunch of local & out-of-town riders & runners used BBT and that load will be place on the existing trail networks. Perhaps some proposals are in order......

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I like your thinking Biff. The only problem is that the BLM will require an EA and likely an EIS in order to get approved to do something. Those studies cost money and they don't pay for them.

You can apply for money from the SNPLMA funds as the county did for the 1 mile segment of trail they are going to build just to the south and east of BBT. I am guessing you won't get anything based on where the money seems to be spent.

We really need a forward thinking BLM office here and we simply don't have that. Here is a link to Caliente, NV and some work by that BLM office.

Mountain bike trails planned in Caliente - Lincoln County Central

Here in Vegas, we are limited to riding out in the desert without trails...which is perfectly legal. Once we get a trail burned in then I guess we can improve it for safety purposes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    MTB trails are a pretty good asset for developers to sell with. MTB trails get tons of XC runners on them and hikers also. The trails simply set up really well for those additional uses.

In Utah, with the addition of better trails, more people are riding and it is actually making people want to live in the areas with the trails more. That increases property values.

If the developer were to fund an EA so we could do additional trails, they would not encroach on the homes in the area but the points of access would be close to the development. Someone that has any ties to the developer might put this idea into their head.

mtbr member
    It's nutty that other areas get so much cooperation with BLM but very little happens here. It seem that what we have was once illegal then approved at a later date. Is that the way things get done around here?...kinda of like it's easier to be forgiven than to get permission.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The worst part about it is that the BLM sells land off in the Las Vegas valley and makes an average of $200 million per year. That is a lot of cash by any standard.

To date, I haven't seen an inroad to getting anything done with the BLM. Anyone else?

Viva la Vida!
    The only change as of today 10-22-14 is that one of the signs that had been there for over 2 years and reads private property no trespassing was vandalized with red paint
    And that now they are working crews out there.
    IMHO much better than drunk guys shooting.

So just get out there and ride.

BTW they are already 2 more new trail systems within 10 minutes drive of BBT on each direction South or North.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast