mtbr member

Anyone ever ride Copper Basin?

I'm gonna be heading to Battle Mountain for the week of Thanksgiving and came across these trails. Has anyone ridden there? Can you give me any info I may need to go ride these trails? Any other riding spots around Battle Mountain I should check out? This will be my first time in this part of Nevada and I would love to get some riding in. Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    Found this
    Travel to Battle Mountain for the best in Nevada recreation.

and this trail map http://www.nvtrailmaps.com/pdfs/maps/copper_basin.pdf

I'm gonna hit it up. I'll post a report if anyone is interested in riding it in the future.

Also mentioned was the Pony Express mountain bike loop. I may try this as well since I'll have a week to kill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Do post if you find the ride interesting. I live in Winnemucca and have always wanted to give the trail a go. Just haven't found the time because Battle Mountain is a great destination! (I hope you caught my sarcasm.) You'll find a week there to be very long and boring and you'll be ready to leave by day three. Other than be prepared for cold weather, I don't think you really need any other advice. We've had snow already and predicting more this weekend.

I haven't heard of the Pony Express Loop. I'll ask the LBS here when I can... Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ah, I read up on the Pony Express Loop from your link. Did you know that Austin is 1.5 hours South? It's a quaint town full of mining history, go there if you're a history buff, kinda neat.

Then again, we have a trail system here in Winnemucca, only an hour from BM called The Bloody Shins. I ride here all the time. The other is Winnemucca Mountain. It's a kick in the butt kind of climb, not a whole lot of fun, just pain. LOL!

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks for the info on Winnemucca, Jonny! I may check it out. How can I find the trails you speak of? Yeah I have heard Battle Mountain is full of excitement . I figure if there is some riding to be had and beer I'll be happy. I love exploring Nevada. I think that I'm gonna take the scenic route and hit some hot springs on my way over.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bloody Shins
    Nevada Trail Maps.com ? Nevada's Largest Trail Database

There's no website for the Winnemucca Mountain Trail, it was finished just this year. It's not that great of a trail anyway (IMO). The only distinguishing characteristic about it is the climb which is 2,500' in 6 miles. I've done it once, rather not do it again.

mtbr member
    Following up with this, I did go out and ride the Cooper Basin Mountain bike trails. The trails appear to be under used and when I was out there where in some need of maintenance. I did have a great few days riding out there exploring the various trails in the area. There are posted signs and although some of them were down it was pretty easy to find my way around. Some of the trails went through creek washes and were deep in sand and difficult to ride but most of the trails are fun and flowing. This place really just needs people out there riding it. I don't think there is much of a mtb scene in the Battle Mountain area. My in laws live right near the bottom of this trail system so I know when I come back I'll be bringing my bike. I'll be back in Nevada for Fears Tears and Beers can't wait!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for the follow up! Glad you had a good time. Now the snow just needs to melt and the ground to dry up...

mtbr member
    I think this spring maybe I will venture out to ride some of the Pony Express trail.
    That would be fun to say I have ridden my mtn bike on that.

Thanks for the pictures.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down