Thread: Zen Stem Length

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Zen Stem Length

Hope someone can help so I don't waste money.

I'm 5'11" riding a large Zen frame with a 100mm 0 rise stem. I was thinking of trying a shorter stem to see if it'll reduce some of my hand numbness but thought I'd ask the opinions of the experts to see what they ride.

Thanks,

Bryan

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    I'd say it would help, but it depends on a lot of variables. I am also 5 11 but ride a medium with a 90mm stem (neg. 6 deg), no numbness problems. I've actually ridden a Lg with a 100mm (neg. 5 deg) stem and that (for me) felt stretched. For the record, my cockpit length (that is, nose of saddle to middle of handlebar) is right at 22" (I could probably go to ~23" though no problem, I just prefer a kinda compact cockpit). That should be about right for you imo, so you may adjust stem length and/or saddle fore/aft to get it just right. But again, lot of variables in body geometry/style of riding etc.

Also, Ergon makes grips that have great support for your palms...I use them on long distance/marathon races and they're pretty awesome. Might be an option too.
    Last edited by jrcxu; 05-20-2009 at 10:45 PM.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    This is also why there are so many bars on the market. Different sweeps, bends and rise fit us all a little different. If the pressure on your hands is to great or not dispersed evenly you may get numbness. As before mentioned you should make some changes (even small one can make a difference).