mtbr member
    Feb 2009

What's the deal with Mountain Cycle

I've been thinking about getting a TwentySixandSix, but it seems that the only way to get one is through ebay. I was hoping to get one from a LBS so I can have that support. I live in Oceanside, CA, (I'll be there after my tour in Afghanistan), so not too far from where Mountain Cycles is. Does anyone know if that is an actual LBS, or just a HQ? Or does anyone know a better way to get one besides fleebay?
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    Word is that Mountain Cycle has been bought out by Chumba. So Run. Run fast and far. Since the transfer, no one has been able to get ahold of any one at Mountain Cycle, or get any kind of response. That's par for the course with Chumba, and it looks like they've transferred their particular brand of customer non-service to Mountain Cycle.

You can count on their being no support to local LBS of any sort, just like Chumba.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't buy any of the new MC stuff. It's all untried and untested. There could be so many things wrong with it. It's just not worth the chance.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks for the info. You guys confirmed my suspicions. I guess I'll look elsewhere.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    I wouldn't buy any of the new MC stuff. It's all untried and untested. There could be so many things wrong with it. It's just not worth the chance.
    Untested? I've seen the prototype Zen and the twenty-sixandsix going around my local trails for over 12 months. I also know this led to design changes. Untested, sorry mate, your well wrong there.

I know the San An was being tested by other people.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Warranty on the new stuff is a different issue, but to say it untested is complete crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Untested? I've seen the prototype Zen and the twenty-sixandsix going around my local trails for over 12 months. I also know this led to design changes. Untested, sorry mate, your well wrong there.

I know the San An was being tested by other people.

But hey, don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Warranty on the new stuff is a different issue, but to say it untested is complete crap.
    Is there any info out there on the Internet or any other mountain bike publication that potential consumers can read in order to make an informed decision? Just because a few people, who I don't know, are riding around on these frames, doesn't mean they are tried and tested. I can't even talk to these people to see what they have to say. It would be like buying a car on the Internet, before you were able to read any reviews or actually see one in person. Because only a very few people have actually seen these frames. Nothing is truly tried and tested until the consumer has a chance to get their hands on it. We are the ones who make or break a product. We don't buy things because a company tells us it's good. We buy things because other consumers tell us it's good.

Read what HHMTB has to say here. The guy knows what he is talking about:

Mountain Cycle: Management Change
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 05-04-2012 at 12:16 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just bought that HT from eBay. I have never needed lbs support with my touring, committing bikes. This is my first year doing trails. I took an 07 rockhopper for a 24 hour adventure race and wanted something that climbed better. The review on this site and some comments from a pro that I read makes me think this bike is going to climb better than bikes worth 3 times as much. You can't go wrong with the eBay prices since the components are worth it alone.

mtbr member
    I would buy the carbon frame and fork It's just a generic carbon frame and fork made by a taiwanese company. It's the same stuff sold to a lot of other companies.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    If you really have to have some of the new Mountain Cycle stuff, I would wait a while. The prices will come down even more. They'll have to start putting it up on Ebay with no reserve. If you look now people aren't bidding on the stuff that has a minimum bid. The minimum bids are to high.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Crosslakes sold a large twentysixandsix this week with no reserve, no starting bid and I got a medium last weekend with a no reserve, no starting bid auction.

One race report that took a little searching (from Terra Firma Racing, I haven't posted enough to link to it, funny stuff):

The ride started on pavement, very tame, but as soon as we turned off on the first uphill jeep road, it was on. I moved to the front and crested the top of the hill in the top 5 men. All together, there were 261 riders in the rally. My Mountain Cycle Twentysixandsix carbon fiber hard tail demo bike climbed like a champ.

I haven’t been on a 26” wheel bike in over 2 years, and had forgotten how quick they climb. I was thankful for that, because the climbing felt effortless.
    Back to the OP, here are the authorized dealers in CA from the company website (it doesn't looked linked anymore, I found it by a search):

California

Mountain Cycle Inc.
    26371 Beckman Court, Suite C
    CA 92563 Murrieta
    USA
    US (only) toll free: 888 4MC 1988
    (for sales in the San Diego area)

Bike Attack
    2400 Main Street
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    (310) 581-8014
    bikeattack.com
    Last edited by AndyBo; 05-04-2012 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyBo View Post

Back to the OP, here are the authorized dealers in CA from the company website (it doesn't looked linked anymore, I found it by a search):

California

Mountain Cycle Inc.
    26371 Beckman Court, Suite C
    CA 92563 Murrieta
    USA
    US (only) toll free: 888 4MC 1988
    (for sales in the San Diego area)

Bike Attack
    2400 Main Street
    Santa Monica, CA 90405
    (310) 581-8014
    bikeattack.com
    That's old news. No longer valid info. Bike Attack does not have any MC stuff.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Is there any info out there on the Internet or any other mountain bike publication that potential consumers can read in order to make an informed decision? Just because a few people, who I don't know, are riding around on these frames, doesn't mean they are tried and tested. I can't even talk to these people to see what they have to say. It would be like buying a car on the Internet, before you were able to read any reviews or actually see one in person. Because only a very few people have actually seen these frames. Nothing is truly tried and tested until the consumer has a chance to get their hands on it. We are the ones who make or break a product. We don't buy things because a company tells us it's good. We buy things because other consumers tell us it's good.

Read what HHMTB has to say here. The guy knows what he is talking about:

Mountain Cycle: Management Change
    Personally, I don't put any weight behind mtb publications. They all read as paid adverts, so I would be hesitant to say a few reviews constitute tested, particularly when a mag is looking for advertising dollars.

Yes, seeing one in person would be nice. Unfortunately over here if you want something outside the main mass produced manufactures you have to take a punt on frames sight unseen.

That all said, I've seen the zen frame and complete built bike and it is quality.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wonder if the one in Murrieta is still there. When I get back from deployment, I will check it out. I would buy the one on ebay, but I need some modifications like 170mm cranks and a rigid carbon fork.
    Ride, crash, ride again.

Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If you really have to have some of the new Mountain Cycle stuff, I would wait a while. The prices will come down even more. They'll have to start putting it up on Ebay with no reserve. If you look now people aren't bidding on the stuff that has a minimum bid. The minimum bids are to high.
    To be honest, thats what I am holding out for. If it happens I'll grab a San An to go with the Zen. Postage out of the US is a killer though.

There was a San An go with a no reserve auction 2 days ago, missed what it finished at but with a day to go it was $250 odd.

mtbr member
    I just looked on EBay. Nothing with a reserve has a bid. I wonder how long they are going to wait before they drop the reserves.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've been trying to contact them to get a replacement Derailleur hanger. No luck at all. Anyone know where to get a spare one?

mtbr member
    Dude, instead of posting on every thread, just start your own thread asking where to find one!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My bad Shawn. as you can see i need more posts before i can start a thread, so i was trying to keep it all within MC. I was also freaking out a little thinking i might be left with a bricked frame all cuz of this damn hanger.

the noob apologizes.

mtbr member
    Oh, didn't know our couldn't start a new one. Sorry, in that case, post away.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT