Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

Took me 2.5 years to build my San Andreas...

since I got the frame, fitted a shock, and then immediately got disabled for 3 weeks with an inner ear infection that started the day after I spent 3 hours polishing the frame. That was in January 2008. Yesterday on a whim I decided to build it to sell it to a guy who had a Rocky Mountain Ti-Bolt which I want in my collection. I test road it lastnight and after thinking it'd be too compact to fit me properly I found I could actually make it work without a dildo-length stem being needed.

As pictured its 30.0 pounds, and it rode ok enough with the DNM Backdraft shock that I might actually keep it afterall. I'm likely to change the bar and stem though if I should in fact keep it, and the shifters would go to thumbies, and different pedals and maybe move up to a Nevegal 2.35 DTC in back (currently its a 2.1 DTC). I think I'd like to find a different shock for it though, the chain torque induced bobbing in the granny ring is severe to put it mildly. I definitely would want some sort of platform valved shock. Also the adjuster on the shock which is supposed to just be rebound apparently affects the compression too annoyingly. Then there's the 15.25" BB height to adjust to, I certainly don't need to worry about striking the big ring with this bike. Probably too much effort for a single-pivot even if it the coolest one that's ever been made

Last edited by DeeEight; 08-02-2010 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    That's awesome!

The San Andreas has always been one of my favorites!

mtbr member
    Very Nice I love the looks of the San An

You can never put too much effort into a single pivot. Less maintenance = more ride time LOL

mtbr member
    thats nice and clean.
    i miss my san
    2014 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2002? MountainCycle San Andreas
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL <-- for sale

And six weeks later its dismantled again. I thought nothing could pogo more than my Trek 9000 did... boy was I proved wrong. Not to mention that ridiculous height BB. In order to not impale myself during a dismount I had to run the saddle over an inch lower than where I ride normally. So... it inchworms along in every gear but especially the granny ring, and its gonna murder my knees slowly.... no thanks.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Hmmmmm
    When you ride in a lot of off camber terrain the high BB is great.
    The bobbing is a result of a poor shock. I had a Swinger 3-Way on my 06 and it was fine.
    It didn't carve corners the way my Fury does though. Then again, where I ride has lots of off camber stuff, and I still miss the San An sometimes .
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I'd let it go.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 11-11-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

And of course the timing of that statement is in no way related to your posting a SanAnn DHS frame up for sale, for more money than my frame.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    And of course the timing of that statement is in no way related to your posting a SanAnn DHS frame up for sale, for more money than my frame.
    I only read the original post, so I thought you decided to keep it. Put a good platform shock on it, a 24" rear wheel and a medium seat tower and you'll like it a lot better.
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 11-11-2010 at 10:47 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT