Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    I'm really happy with my Zen II, but I doubt there is room for a 650B. I run a 2.1 Kenda slant six in the rear and have less than 1/2" (12mm) clearence between the chainstay crossmember and the top of the tire.
    I have to agree, I am loving the Zen but wouldn't be confident trying to stick a 650B in there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Couple questions regarding the Zen II

Hi, congrats on buying and enjoying the Zen II. I'm looking to buy a frame at the moment.
    I'm 6'2", I think the correct size frame is the LG, or would it be the XL?
    Can anyone let me know what mount diameter I should get for the front derailleur? And it's bottom pull no low mount necessary, right?
    How have the frames held up for those riding a few months?
    Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perek View Post
    Hi, congrats on buying and enjoying the Zen II. I'm looking to buy a frame at the moment.
    Can anyone let me know what mount diameter I should get for the front derailleur? And it's bottom pull no low mount necessary, right?
    Thanks in advance!
    You do realize that they are not made anymore, and there are no replacement parts or warranty available if you break something?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I'm 6'1" and I ride a medium but I would say a large would typically be a better fit for someone your height.

I can't recall what diameter front derailer clamp off the top of my head, I'll get back to you on that if no one else remembers. Low mount bottom pull for sure.

Mine has been flawless, I just pulled the swing arm and shock link apart last night to clean and inspect and really like how everything is fashioned. I'll post pics later.

You really can't go wrong with the ZenII.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    You do realize that they are not made anymore, and there are no replacement parts or warranty available if you break something?
    MC Shawn speaks the truth, thus if you want one you have to be willing to take a gamble.

Low mount is necessary, the clamp or mount diameter is 34.9mm.

Here's pics as promised, 8 cartridge bearings and 3 thru shafts with threaded caps for setting bearing preload. It looked a lot more involved then it actually turned out to be, really straight forward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130107_223844_892.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130107_225606_616.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thats true, but I still haven't heard of any breaks. And depending on what brand you get, the warranty is as good as no warranty.

With the MC's its just a matter of weighing up cost v's risk. cost won out for me and both the zen 2 and San An 2.0 have been sweet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Thanks in advance!
    I'm 5'10" and the medium is spot on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Thats true, but I still haven't heard of any breaks. And depending on what brand you get, the warranty is as good as no warranty.

With the MC's its just a matter of weighing up cost v's risk. cost won out for me and both the zen 2 and San An 2.0 have been sweet.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I looked at the SC Nickel at $600. It's a great bike, even at full price. SC customer service is top notch and they have promised to support the Nickel and Butcher for a long time. I'm just loving my Nickel, I just can't find anything wrong with it no matter how hard I try. I even put a 57mm stroke RS Monarch RT3 shock on it to give it 145mm of travel and I put a new 150mm RS Revelation Dual air on it, and saved some weight at the same time. I'm in at less then 27 pounds now.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I'm in at less then 27 pounds now.
    You suck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    You suck

Haha!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I have a pile of parts waiting to go on my Zen in hopes of shedding a couple of pounds but I don't think under 27 is going to happen for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, I know what you mean. That's why I looked at the SC Nickel at $600. It's a great bike, even at full price. SC customer service is top notch and they have promised to support the Nickel and Butcher for a long time. I'm just loving my Nickel, I just can't find anything wrong with it no matter how hard I try. I even put a 57mm stroke RS Monarch RT3 shock on it to give it 145mm of travel and I put a new 150mm RS Revelation Dual air on it, and saved some weight at the same time. I'm in at less then 27 pounds now.
    My initial build on the Zen was 29.5 pounds.

I've since replace the wheelset. While I haven't weighed it since the change, in theory it should now be down to around 28.2 pounds. Could shave some more off the bars/post/seat but won't bother. A lot more tuning would be required on the engine for any benefit. I'm guessing sub 27 would be possible, I just don't know for me that there will be enough of a benefit in chasing it.

I do need to replace the wheels on the San An now though.

After all this time on the bike, only fault I have with the bike is my decision to put the headset in at -0.5 degrees, With the longer fork I should have had it at +0.5 degrees. Will change it one day.

mtbr member
    My initial build on the Zen was 29.5 pounds.

I've since replace the wheelset. While I haven't weighed it since the change, in theory it should now be down to around 28.2 pounds. Could shave some more off the bars/post/seat but won't bother. A lot more tuning would be required on the engine for any benefit. I'm guessing sub 27 would be possible, I just don't know for me that there will be enough of a benefit in chasing it.

I do need to replace the wheels on the San An now though.

After all this time on the bike, only fault I have with the bike is my decision to put the headset in at -0.5 degrees, With the longer fork I should have had it at +0.5 degrees. Will change it one day.
    I could drop another 400 grams with a light wheelset. But I like the wheels on it. I'm going to convert the rear wheel to 10mm and add a DT Swiss RWS through bolt. That will add a little weight, but not much. I'm really not a weight weenie. it's just that I got such a good deal on the frame, and I took my time finding new parts on deep discount, I just couldn't help but buy light but durable parts.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The reality is, any weight you add for a through bolt you won't notice, but you will notice the positive impact on stiffness.

Don't get me wrongI love the Nickel frame, even at full RRP. I always had a soft spot for the Bullet, dated now, but still a great frame. I actually prefer the simpler Santa Cruz bikes.

Having spent time on the new Zen though, I wouldn't have been disappointed if I paid full price for it, I just would't have had a San An and Zen.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Ya Sammy I'm still curious to hear your impressions on the difference in handling characteristics once you rotate that slackset. Did you ever measure the distance from the BB to the front axle the way it is set up now?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I haven't measured, but I will do it this weekend for you.

mtbr member
    The reality is, any weight you add for a through bolt you won't notice, but you will notice the positive impact on stiffness.

Don't get me wrongI love the Nickel frame, even at full RRP. I always had a soft spot for the Bullet, dated now, but still a great frame. I actually prefer the simpler Santa Cruz bikes.

Having spent time on the new Zen though, I wouldn't have been disappointed if I paid full price for it, I just would't have had a San An and Zen.
    I think it's very cool that you have one of each.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Since I had the swing arm, eccentric, and link apart I went ahead and had the pieces anodized. I was never that thrilled with the yellow colored link and the black eccentric in the black frame was less than complimentary to such a cool component.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130119_240030_289.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Look awesome. I would have to make the link red though. Which would leave me with a dilemma for the eccentric.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Look awesome. I would have to make the link red though. Which would leave me with a dilemma for the eccentric.
    The black eccentric on the white frame looks pretty good, I didn't like it on the black frame because it was to hidden.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Did you end up going with a single, double or triple ring up front?

I have been running a single 32, but am looking now at a double or triple set up. Not sure which way to go.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I run a double ring up front that is composed of a 25t rotor ring and a 38t standard round ring.

I only have six cogs on the back wheel so I run the double up front to keep a decent gear spread, plus I ran a 1x9 an missed having the ability to quickly down shift, one click an I can climb.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I got bored and decided to have the link redone in a high polish. I sent it to STB performance coatings-
    STB performance coatings~Home

He's a fellow MTBR member under the handle crazy8 and a great guy. I asked for the high polish and he also threw in a touch of ceramic coat in the recesses that really set it off. This man is an artist.

My low res pics don't really do the piece justice, it really looks slick in person.

Name:  IMG_20130628_153708_149.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  56.9 KBTaking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130628_153805_490.jpgName:  IMG_20130630_130251_230.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  101.8 KBTaking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130630_130432_467.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    That looks sweet.

Not sure it would work on my all white frame, would probably need to be anodised red to stand out, but against the black, the polished look is great.

Are you still liking the bike? I never got around to changing the headset around on mine. I need to.....just lazy.

Still going through the eternal debate over 1 or 2 chainrings up front.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The truth is I haven't ridden the bike off road for a couple months. I've made a ton of changes to the bike and feel it is my dream trail machine, lots of carbon and lighter wheels. I haven't wieghed it since my last upgrade but it should tip the scale around 26.5lbs which I don't think is bad at all for a 8.5lb frame.

I think a red anno link would look real good on a white frame. As far as gear train I'm extremely happy with 2X6 but I stand and mash. Lots of opinion on 1x9, 1x10, 1x11, 2x and 3x but it is too terrain and rider preference dependent to say for sure what would suit you best. I like having a front derailer for rapid downshifting and chain retention. If you decide on multiple chain rings I can't recommend Wickwerks enough!

I have loved bikes my whole life and this is easily the best one I've ever built
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130630_130358_644.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130630_130444_201.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-img_20130630_130601_652.jpg  

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast