Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    She weighs in at 30 1/4 lbs. (13.720 kg) I run sticky tires, 165mm cranks, and my granny is 25t front 28t rear so climbing is a bear.
    It would be nice to have less weight, but looking the frame over I'm not sure where they could have shaved mass and retained the confidence inspiring, brick house construction.

It costs a little speed in the climbs, but I like to jump and drop. I would change nothing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here we go, finally a progress shot of my Zen2. Still a few parts to go.

Traded some bits with a friend, they sent their 9 speed cassette instead of a 10, so waiting for that. Ordered a Stans NoTubes wheelset as well so i don't have to share these wheels with the San An.

All up, looks like weighing in a tad under 13.5kg's. The Stans wheels will be a big reduction on the ones in the photo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-zen1.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-zen2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looking pretty nice!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm really happy with this one, new wheels will be black which won't look as nice, but they will be lighter and more suited to where this bike is going to be ridden. The San An can keep the heavy duty wheels.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I had a Stans Arch EX laced to a 32 hole Hadley single speed hub for the rear. What model Stans rims did you order?

I'm also curious about cable and brake line routing. It appears you ran yours using the tabs on the swing arm, does this work out well? I ended up running the rear D cable inside the swing arm, works good.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Here is some more of an update taken from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by g
    Well, 'we' have been working on a design for a monocoque for the past few months and on Friday I handed it over to the engineer in the team for FEA (finite element analysis) work then engineering design for tooling; so we are moving forward!

A few people around here have been privy to what we have been doing but until we get it through the first few rounds of FEA and everyone's happy, the wraps shall stay on. What I can say is that it :

1. It's a monocoque.

2. It's made fully in the 'west'.

3. It uses the same Turntable suspension license we used in the MC frames.

4. It will come in 140 and 160mm

andů

5. Love it or hate it, we're using 27.5 wheels, as they make a LOT of sense.

The design's aggressive and far more 'moto' inspired than anything currently on the market and I am looking at some interesting options for people to become involved.

We are calling it 'Privateer' and when ready, I'll throw info up here to share
    The renders look really nice. Well I think so. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the flesh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Here is some more of an update taken from elsewhere.

The renders look really nice. Well I think so. Will be interesting to see how it pans out in the flesh.
    Wow, that sounds very interesting! Can't wait to see it. It sounds like someone is learning from past mistakes, good to see that.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

G..
    mtbr member
    The Beer Components eccentric BB sets the cranks back and down 5mm so it helps correct the fact that the seat tube was slackened and puts the BB height right back to the listed 13.3" stock.....
    Watch out for moving the BB around like that. The suspension is still a SP design and the entire system is set very carefully to optimise chain forces and the like. Moving the BB even 5mm will change the performance characteristics of the system quite a bit.

G..
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    It sounds like someone is learning from past mistakes, good to see that.
    I decided that it is not worth the comment in the end. I read back on a LOT of the opinions you spouted on various threads here over the past months Shawn and realised, in the end, what's the point?

If people want any sort of information regarding the Zen II and SA 2.0, this is where you'll find me: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296660760405714/

As many will attest to, I am more than happy to help those with the new bikes out where I can.

Cheers and beers!

g
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]
    Last edited by G..; 08-04-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    ---

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by G.. View Post
    Watch out for moving the BB around like that. The suspension is still a SP design and the entire system is set very carefully to optimise chain forces and the like. Moving the BB even 5mm will change the performance characteristics of the system quite a bit.
    I was aware of this before I did so and am indeed cautious and weary of making adjustments in that regard. I could not gain a full understanding of what the effect would be without trying it for myself.

I have only been on one ride since building the bike, but man-O-man this thing rides nice so far. I have not experienced any negative effects as of yet.

The eccentric has an offset of 6mm. I clocked the cups in the BB shell at approximately 8 O clock viewed from the D side so the crank spindle went more back than down.

I would imagine going down with the BB in relation to the pivot would be better for square edged hits and resisting pedal induced bob. If you have the time or inclination to post here again would you share your thoughts on what the potential change in performance characteristics would be? it would help me understand what to look for when next I ride.

Thanks G, I'm really pleased with the Zen II and think you did a fantastic job.

G..
    mtbr member
    Hey Jon, glad yer loving the ride and thanks for the words

The effects of moving the BB will have more to do with the way the pedal force interacts with the rear. The system is tuned for optimal system feedback, so obviously moving points will diminish this somewhat. Now, that all said, the effects overall will probably be quite small, as the shock, and a fully loaded rider (of variable weight), has more than a little effect on the system as well! So overall I think you'll be all good; and if you're loving the ride, what's more to say eh?

Come join the party here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296660760405714/

Cheers and beers,

g

---
    ---

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G.. View Post
    I decided that it is not worth the comment in the end. I read back on a LOT of the opinions you spouted on various threads here over the past months Shawn and realised, in the end, what's the point?

If people want any sort of information regarding the Zen II and SA 2.0, this is where you'll find me: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296660760405714/

As many will attest to, I am more than happy to help those with the new bikes out where I can.

Cheers and beers!

g
    ---
    Well, I wish you luck with what are doing now. It sounds interesting and I can't wait to see it.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have Stans Alpines on the Stans Hubs. They were going super cheap locally, so I had to take a punt on them, Sure are light, fingers crossed they hold up as well as people have told me they do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A more up to date shot of mine. Wheels are now on. Only thing missing is the front rotor, should have that sorted this week and I am away.

Thinking I will need to turn the adjustable headset around, may be a tad slack at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-zen.jpg  

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Those should be very light weight wheels indeed. Please report how they fair as I am contemplating a second lighter set of wheels for certain trails were my climbing suffers.

Your Zen is looking real sharp sammy.

You may end up needing a standard headset to get the angle best for you. If I recall you said it stands at 67.5 degrees at the moment with a .5 slackset.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Its 67 at the moment, so if I reverse it I should be at 68. I think that would be a better angle.

I am planning to replace the rims on my San An with the Stans Arch, I have syncros rims on it at the moment so going to the arch on that bike would be a massive weight saving.

I think the Alpine will be fine on the Zen because I won't be riding anything stupid on this bike. It will be my general trail bike so the wheels should fair well, I hope.

mtbr member
    I have Stans Alpines on the Stans Hubs. They were going super cheap locally, so I had to take a punt on them, Sure are light, fingers crossed they hold up as well as people have told me they do.
    How much does the wheelset weigh?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I bet those Alpines weigh in the low 1400 gram region, if not below 1400g.

I took to messing with my Zen and purchased a rear fender for a Devinci Wilson just to see if it might squeeze into the swing arm and help keep debris from being flung toward the pivots and switch link. I cut, drilled, and used a heat lamp to shape the darn thing till it would cooperate.

What do you think? is it out of place? I'm not sure a 2.3 or larger tire would clear it. As of now I am running a 2.1 Kenda slant six-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taking a gamble on a Zen II-fenderonly.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-fenderback.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-fenderside.jpg  

Taking a gamble on a Zen II-fenderndside.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    How much does the wheelset weigh?
    Had to just go and check the Stans Wheel Weight calculator. Turns out they are around 1450g for the set.

Pretty happy with that and will definitely getting some Arch rims for my San An.

mtbr member
    I bet those Alpines weigh in the low 1400 gram region, if not below 1400g.

I took to messing with my Zen and purchased a rear fender for a Devinci Wilson just to see if it might squeeze into the swing arm and help keep debris from being flung toward the pivots and switch link. I cut, drilled, and used a heat lamp to shape the darn thing till it would cooperate.

What do you think? is it out of place? I'm not sure a 2.3 or larger tire would clear it. As of now I am running a 2.1 Kenda slant six-
    The fender looks good. But, I would think the Seatpost would protect that area pretty well.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Had to just go and check the Stans Wheel Weight calculator. Turns out they are around 1450g for the set.

Pretty happy with that and will definitely getting some Arch rims for my San An.
    Nice! That would put my Nickel in the low 26 pound range. And if it ever gets below 100 degrees here, close to Los Angeles, I may even be able to get it dirty.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The fender looks good. But, I would think the Seatpost would protect that area pretty well.
    Well thanks for the feedback, I'll decide how I like it after I ride with it to see how it fares.

I noticed some crud collecting around the eccentric and thought I might try a little something, we'll see if it make a difference. Take another look at that last photo, thats not a place I want to invite the ingress of dirt

I was thinking of building up a second set of wheels with Crests, I want to hear back from you sammy about how well the Alpines hold up after you get a chance to put them through the paces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm not too worried about debris or mud getting into the shock far that very reason. It all nicely tucked away forward of the post and should stay out of most of the muck.

That said, I don't tend to ride once the trails get too muddy.

Lars the Swede
    Mar 2012
    Hello U lucky guys!
    How are you doing with your new Zen's?
    I'm interrested of build me a new trail rocket but whan't to go 650b wheels.
    By your experience of the Zen II, do you think it's possible?
    // Lars the Swede

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I'm really happy with my Zen II, but I doubt there is room for a 650B. I run a 2.1 Kenda slant six in the rear and have less than 1/2" (12mm) clearence between the chainstay crossmember and the top of the tire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast