mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Shockwave 9.5 vs. the 2009 Shockwave

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2009 Shockwave frame.

According to most people, there have been some changes. Obviously, they come with 8" of travel. It is possible, however, to purchase it with linkages for 9.5" of travel. But MC also mentioned that there were some geometry changes. Did Mountain Cycle actually change the dimensions/angles of the main frame? Or were the changes ONLY to the linkages themselves?

Basically, what I'm wondering is this: if I were to purchase a 2009 Shockwave with 9.5" of travel, would there be ANY difference between it and the Shockwave 9.5?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    bump

Hmmmmm
    The problem you're having with getting an answer, I think, is because people have kept their old Shockwaves forever.
    Most haven't traded in the old ones for new ones.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Mountain Cycle Member
    It might be possible to do that, but do you really need that extra 1,5" of travel in the rear.
    Would 8" not be enough for you??
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    Waspinator try asking your questions here http://getsatisfaction.com/mountaincycle a MC employee should be able to answer this for you.

mtbr member
    Here is what I know. The new SW has a linkage (dog bones and pivot) change as well as shock change (eye 2 eye and stroke). Also the HT is 1 degree slacker on the new SW. So, in purchasing and new SW and converting to 9.5 linkage you should get an old 9.5 with 1 degree slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    Here is what I know. The new SW has a linkage (dog bones and pivot) change as well as shock change (eye 2 eye and stroke). Also the HT is 1 degree slacker on the new SW. So, in purchasing and new SW and converting to 9.5 linkage you should get an old 9.5 with 1 degree slacker head angle.
    So, the actual monocoque main-frame of the new Shockwave is different from the Shockwave 9.5? Specifically, the slacker headtube angle is built into the main frame, and is not simply a result of 8" of rear travel propping-up the rear-end of the bike less than 9.5" of rear travel would?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It probably just drops the bottom bracket (thus creating a slacker HA)

NOT Team Sanchez
    so what is the head angle on a 9.5? I have Go-Ride flat crowns, does that make it a lot steeper than stock 05 888 crowns?
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a 2009 8.0 I love this ride i had 2 SINS fail on me the MOUNTAIN CYCLE hoooked a siicckk deal got the new ride did not know if i would like i was ridig a Canfield Lucky in between the warranty time have to say prety nice rig would buy again just my .02 of info been with MC for 10 years and feel they are a great company but when KINESIS owned they had some issues i believe they resolved all issues good job JOHN AND ERIC great reps.