mtbr member
    Dec 2008

San Andreas Resurrection

Hi Guys!

First of all apologies for being such a newbe! I've been out of the mountain biking game for the past 7 years but on having the oppertunity to buy one of my childhood dream bikes, I couldnt miss it.

Here it is :

Ok, purchased (I believe it's a 99) a San An non VPS bare frame and it didn't come with any rear suspension so this is my first question: Any specific brands/models that seem to suit the san an from your experience was thinking about the Fox range?

Does anyone know sizes of suspension ect how hard the shims are to obtain to mount to the frame?

Also, I'm worried that my front mech (from another bike) wont be able to handle the small chainring. I was intending running a spare Middleburn RS7 crank with compact drive rings but looking at the chain path from the rear cassette to the front inner ring, It's going to clash on the front mech (currently as far down as the frame as it can stopping on the weld) See the cassette in the background. Guessing this isnt normal, Either its the mech or the CD rings being too small.

Last is a non related san an question. I stuck on a friends 08 XTR rear mech (a rd-m971 sgs) Having the problem of the mech starting from gear 3 from the 9 speed XT cassette and rising to just short of gear 9. - Anyone know what type of rear mech model I need to get?

Again, Sorry for all the stupid questions, I've just been out of the game for so long. I appreciate all your time in reading this (and probably laughing at the dumb questions) buit any answers would help a great deal.

Oh, is there a plastic cable run at the bottom of the bottom bracket for the front mech? It seems to be missing on my frame if there is one.

Hmmmmm
    The shock you'll want, will be a 6.5 X 1.5". (165 X 38mm)
    Most of us haven't liked the Foxs on the San Ans or Furys that much.
    The Manitou Swingers, Marzocchi Rocco, and Rock Shox Monarchs, seem to work a little better on these bikes. All air versions.
    The mounting hardware (shims) on my newer San An, is 22 X 6mm, for both the upper and lower mounts. I think it's the same for the older model you have.
    If I'm wrong, someone please say something.
    If there is no cable stop, on the back side of the bottom bracket, then you need a rubbing block. If there is a cable stop on the back of the bottom bracket shell, then you run the housing all the way around.
    You need a top mount, bottom swing, bottom pull, front dérailleur. (or, top and bottom pull, universal type)
    Any standard rear dérailleur should work. If you have three rings, use a long cage for sure. There is quite a bit of chain growth on a San An.
    I like the Shimano "Shadow" type rear mech.
    The Sram X.9 is good.
    You'll need shifter pods that are specific to which brand you use.
    Sram and Shimano use different ratios.
    The rear mech you have should work, unless there is a setup issue, or the shifters are wrong for the cassette. IE a 8 speed shifter paired with a 9 speed cassette for instance.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Cheers for the reply Eric! Off to buy the rear sus the now!

Solved the drivechain problem, Stupid me really, the H and L adjustments were way off! I swapped the front mech for a bottom pull XT. All seems fine now.

Nice one, the only thing I need now is the rear sus and shims, I'm guessing the shims are easy enough to get a hold of?!?!

Will post a pic of the finished article in the next week or so.

Hmmmmm
    The mounting hardware is easy to get, and comes standard on some new shocks.
    The pivot is a little high on the San An. Because of this, you'll not want to get more than about 3 cogs down in the back, if you are in the granny ring.
    Have fun.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Alright lad,

I just posted some info on shocks on the Flying Scotsmans post for his old style San An.

Same goes here - the original bikes had a 140mm eye to eye length with 1" shock travel (giving 3" wheel travel) The 165mm shocks raise the bottom bracket too much and steepen the head angle too much.

A quick look on http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/C...CategoryID=175 gives you options from Fox and DT Swiss in 140mm and 152mm i2i lengths. I use a 152mm Dt swiss shock which gives about 3 3/4" travel at the wheel.
    Shock bushes have 2 measurements - the width of the bush and the size of the bolt (will normally be 6 or 8mm). In your casae it shoulf be 16x6mm on the swingarm end and 32x6mm on the main frame. Your picture is really dark so i can't see the distance on the frame but the swingarm shock mount is 16mm wide.

If you need anymore advice just shout! Oh and think very carefully about getting rid of the triple clamps - the old frames don't have the fork stop that stops a triple clamp fork crushing the monocogue frame in a crash. Get some 100-120mm travel single crowns and you'll have a (very) fast aggresive XC bike!

Gus
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    what serial #?I have one it is #20294 could I find the year this way?It looks similar to yours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi there,

Unsure what the serial number is as it's had a new paintjob. I'm suspecting it's a 1990 though. Cheers for the advice Gus, I already bought the 165 X 38mm rear sus, but I'm trying out a cheapy one to see what it feels like.
    See what you mean though, it's pretty high! Need to take it out for a decent outage to get a feel for her, there's always the option to for a smaller unit.

Here's what it currently looks like, I went for old frame, new parts, horrible I know but retro'ness is coming... p.s the flat is getting renovated

mtbr member
    Look'n good but I'd be wary of the double crowns on it.... though I dare say that the frame, def around a 2000 ym is a might tougher than the DNA that came later.
    ---
    Old skool is the new skool

My dot net

mtbr member
    Bit of indoor North Shore in the 2nd pic there, rad dude!
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mig Pilot
    Look'n good but I'd be wary of the double crowns on it.... though I dare say that the frame, def around a 2000 ym is a might tougher than the DNA that came later.
    Yep, bad idea! All the bike has to do is fall over on the ground and the main frame will be worthless. Unfortunitely, most people just have to learn the hard way.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stuarty
    Hi there,

Unsure what the serial number is as it's had a new paintjob. I'm suspecting it's a 1990 though. Cheers for the advice Gus, I already bought the 165 X 38mm rear sus, but I'm trying out a cheapy one to see what it feels like.
    See what you mean though, it's pretty high! Need to take it out for a decent outage to get a feel for her, there's always the option to for a smaller unit.

Here's what it currently looks like, I went for old frame, new parts, horrible I know but retro'ness is coming... p.s the flat is getting renovated

If that's the original subframe, then it is a '96 or later.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Is that a large subframe? It looks bigger then my medium.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    Yep, bad idea! All the bike has to do is fall over on the ground and the main frame will be worthless. Unfortunitely, most people just have to learn the hard way.
    yep learnt that lesson on my oldest SanAn. it has dents both sides of the frame,but they are not too big. seen pics of some that must make the frame a right-off.

stuarty:-hows the build going?
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!