Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

San Andreas Classic Shock Mounting

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DanJones34 
#1 ·
Ok so I picked up beautiful SA Classic last summer and tried to build it up. Coming from the 29er work I thought I was used to being high up on the bike, boy was I wrong.

I'd like to reduce the BB height and slacken the head angle on my SA and know I can buy a shorter shock (6.5"x1.5") to replace the RP3 that's on there now. But I've been reading about shorter shock mounts and relaxed cleats and am wondering if that is a better way to go.

I'd like to use the SA as a typical XC bike so 6" travel is a bit much. I'm also slightly too long in the torso for the frame as it sits now and am worried it would be even worse with the shorter shock. Would the shorter shock mounts and my current shock lower the BB signifcantly or not? Where would I get them? Any combination use of shorter shock mounts and relaxed cleat? Any effective top tube measurements with different configurations available?

Thanks.

#3 ·
It won't change the effective TT measurement that much.
Even then the change is most notable if you are tall.

Your best bet, is the 6.5" shock with the VPS system, then you can adjust it up or down quite a bit.

The sin cleat doesn't work too well on the San Ans.

What year is it? That would help us help you.

Eric.

#5 ·
Hmm. It's a 2006 I think, it does have the VPS mount. Right now I have it set all the way forward with a 7.0x2.0 RP3 and have a close to 15" BB height. Would like to get it down to 13" and keep an ett around 23". There are a few 6.5x1.5 Vanilla R's with a 900lb spring on ebay for $65 which isn't bad, or there are some old Fox Alps 5's available. May get something to experiment with. Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
agentorangemen said:
Hmm. It's a 2006 I think, it does have the VPS mount. Right now I have it set all the way forward with a 7.0x2.0 RP3 and have a close to 15" BB height. Would like to get it down to 13" and keep an ett around 23". There are a few 6.5x1.5 Vanilla R's with a 900lb spring on ebay for $65 which isn't bad, or there are some old Fox Alps 5's available. May get something to experiment with. Thanks for the info.
That's pretty much the same setup I have (15.5" BB). It's a bit tall for high speed flickabilty, but it pedals over all kinds of off camber stuff.
Still I want a 6.5" shock. A 14.5" BB height would be great for where I ride.

#7 ·
Here my experimental build using a 6.5 shock on an 06 san andreas

The head angle is 66, and the BB is sitting at about 13.75 .... I also had to move the subframe to more crampt setting because otherwise the seatube angle was too slack and positioned you too far over the rear wheel.

the idea for me is a mini freerideish / light DH rig which i can pedal ... the frame plus shock on an 06 SA weighs in at 3kg ... really good

also... you cant use the sin cleat on this setup - swingarm and the toptube dont get along if you try :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.