Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Rumble 29er Kit Geometry Questions

I'm not an Mountain Cycle owner, but as someone who once pondered the idea of using dropouts to fit a 29" wheel on a 26, I had a few questions.

- Normally 29ers have an extended BB drop to compensate for the bigger wheels. Will this affect the Rumble?

- What about toe overlap with a 29" front wheel. What testing has been done with longer travel 29" forks?

- Could this same "dropout kit" option be applied to other Mountain Cycle frames? The Fury with a 15mm rear thru-axle 29" dropout would be pretty wicked, as I loved my Cannondale Prophet, just hated the flex and loved the big wheels.

G..
    mtbr member
    PaintPeelinPbody, the best place to ask these sorts of Q's are here: http://www.mountaincycle.com/community/

But, for now...

The Rumble 29r has been raced by a racer that is totally independent of Mountain Cycle, he in fact works for another component brand. So far race reports have been so positive that we are now organising a production run of the dropouts for the Runble. The bike he's been racing is a full 29r spec, so that includes the forks. Due to the original design spec of the Rumble, moving it over to a 29r has been a flawless exercise.

We have been very careful about any geometry changes that might take place in doing this and as such have designed the 29r dropouts in such a way as to affect very little in frame geometry. In regards to the rise of the BB, yes, it does come up a little but nothing that is not within the acceptable range of hard tails on the market.

No, these dropouts can not be used on any other Mountain Cycle frame.

Hope that this info helps.
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]