Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007

Reactive S suspension question (Zen)

Alright, forgive me if this is obvious, but I was having a discussion at the shop a couple days ago and we were talking about different suspension designs...anyway, is the "Reactive S" suspension on the Zen considered a "single pivot" design?

Someone claimed that because the Jamis XCR has a pivot where the chainstay/seatstay meet its not considered a single pivot design. I can't say thats even true, but if so, does the flexing of the seatstay on the rear triangle classify as a pivot? And does the linkage mounted to the seattube mean anything?
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The zen is a single pivot. The Jamis xcr is too. Most other designs are technically four bar: Trek ABP, Specialized FSR/ Horst link, and dual links. And some single pivots are high pivot unified rear triangles and won't have the linkage mounted on the seat tube. Trek's ABP is dope- it basically is a floating brake design and also the only design to NOT attach the shock to the front triangle.

G..
    mtbr member
    You know where you should be asking this

(click that link in my sig...)
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]

mtbr member
    It gets me how suspension designs, so much more different and complicated compared to the SA, are also called single pivots.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    very good series in Dirt magazine over the last few months explaining the various systems. The Trek is actually a single pivot!
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!