mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Pro-stop fork adapter?

Hi all,
    New here, and as of yesterday (thanks to a very generous friend), finally the proud owner of a San Andreas !!
    Among other upgrades planned, I want to change out the Suspenders forks. Has anyone done this and still retained the big Pro-stops with a new fork? I think the caliper is a 30mm mount - are there adapters out there to accommodate the 9" rotor and allow me to mount the caliper on a new fork?

Any info would be awesome.

Some pics of my new toy...

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I would not change a thing!!

Hmmmmm
    That thing is a collector's item.
    I've never gotten that good a look at an older one before.
    I'm beginning to wonder, just how closely related my 06 actually is, to one of those early models.
    My swingarm is beefier.
    My mainframe looks taller.
    My head tube is taller.
    The post for the front mech is different.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    WOW!!! That thing is a work of art.. I would not change a thing..
    It's rare to see an original one in such good condition.

If you want to upgrade..I highly recommend you sell that to a collector (possibly for a profit) and buy a newer one. If not, be sure to keep the original parts.

Nice bike!!!!

Mountain Cycle Member
    Yes, t'm with all the others above, keep it like it is.

Well, if possible...... only change the brakes from cable actuated to full original oil lines and brake levers
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the comments guys...anyone know which year MC I have?

BTW , Looks like I'll be CNC-ing my own caliper adapter when I get the new forks!

Mountain Cycle Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Scotsman
    Thanks for the comments guys...anyone know which year MC I have?

BTW , Looks like I'll be CNC-ing my own caliper adapter when I get the new forks!
    I'd say at least 1993 or older, whats the serial number??

And what kind of fork are you going to use??

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The serial on the BB is

10506 (written vs stamped)

On the shocks, I was thinking of something like a Rock Shox Revelation 426 for the front - rear, still undecided - but that elastomer won't be staying.
    I know it might be easier just to upgrade to a more recent disk setup, but i would really like to keep that big 9" beast at the front. Still works really nice too!!

I'm so happy with this bike - I was in love with it when I started riding (back in 95) and after a few rides, i know have an idea why they have the reputation they do.
    For an older bike, it is tight, accelerates beautifully, gets airborne like it is full of helium - it's awesome. Ive ridden newer bikes that just don't 'feel' as good as this MC.

I'm officially a MC convert!

Mountain Cycle Member
    If you insist on riding an SanAn, sell this one to an Retro adept, and buy a used newer SanAn or a Fury for that matter, and proudly ride that.
    Or keep it, but keep it like it is now.

For the RS fork, you might also be needing a new Headset, i don't know you're headset type and size, but my retro SanAn has an 1,1/4 headset, and not an 1,1/8 headset.

For the rear shock you would be needing an 152mm (if memory serves me right) shock to replace it, good luck on finding those, nowadays the minimum size is 165mm, standard starts from 190mm. second hand is possible, but probably RST or sorts
    Last edited by cHoc Nr1; 03-08-2009 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info.

You make a good point on the shocks - It has a Onza Mongo II on there and I have a feeling it is a 1 1/4"
    Did a quick measure and the rear shock is 5 1/2 eye to eye as it sits. (about 140mm?)

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cHoc Nr1
    but keep it like it is now.
    x2

Want to sell it?

Mountain Cycle Member
    Thanks for the info.

You make a good point on the shocks - It has a Onza Mongo II on there and I have a feeling it is a 1 1/4"
    Did a quick measure and the rear shock is 5 1/2 eye to eye as it sits. (about 140mm?)

Chris
    For the front you then would need an Chris King Devolution headset 1,1/4 - 1,1/8 or maybe that an other headset manufacturer also make those, i don't know.

For the rear, yes, that would then be 140mm, then don't bother, really, you would just go from one pogo stick to the other, the only shocks that would fit, are probably the ones on those cheap Wallmart "mtb full suspension" """"dh"""" bikes or the likes....

If you insist on using new suspension, it's you're money, but in my opinion it would be a waste of money to do so.

Hmmmmm
    Risse Racing has been making shocks for San Ans for years. They will custom make one in 140mm.
    If I remember correctly, the Risse shocks also give you a bit more travel while keeping the eye to eye the same.
    I keep forgetting that those older models use such a short shock.
    You're going to need a very short suspension fork as well. Try to find something with a similar axle to crown height.

Whatever you do, don't lose the original parts.

http://www.risseracing.com/index.shtml
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Awesome bike.

Please don't change anything!! you own a little piece of cycling history there.
    Definitely either a 1992 or 1993 specification. Posted again, here is the MBA advert
    from December 1992.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for all the tips and feedback guys,

Don't worry though, I like the way the bike feels just now, so I wont be doing anything crazy change-wise.
    My DH days are a thing of the past so I wont be breaking it in two either. (There are newer, less 'significant' bikes for that)

Any parts that come off the bike I will repair where possible (eg forks) and save. Honestly I'm pretty surprised there are so many 'original' parts still on the bike after all these years. Makes me more inclined to hold onto all of them.

CG

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all the tips and feedback guys,

Don't worry though, I like the way the bike feels just now, so I wont be doing anything crazy change-wise.
    My DH days are a thing of the past so I wont be breaking it in two either. (There are newer, less 'significant' bikes for that)

Any parts that come off the bike I will repair where possible (eg forks) and save. Honestly I'm pretty surprised there are so many 'original' parts still on the bike after all these years. Makes me more inclined to hold onto all of them.

CG
    WOW!! even though i have two newer SanAn's i would still like an "original" as you have there. lucky,lucky you and KEEP IT ORIGINAL!!
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I love reading all this jib jab about the old day's. Hammering out the skins (Hydro Forming) for the Main Frame and swing Arms was my first job At MC. I still have my San Andreas Team Elite from '91. Its seen some up grades but is still retro. '91 main frame, '95 DHS swing arm, Risse Terminator, Mr. triple crpwn for w/cable actuated Pro Stops converted to full hydro, Cook Bros. cranks and Gun Metal blue XTR. remember the Dec. '05 issue of "Bike" I will post when I have a chance.

mtbr member
    Aye aye lad. Few options for you;

Suspenders - Try and speak to Paul Smith (ex MBUK but they could put you in touch) He got rid of the elastomers and used springs from (I think) a Mini engine. Made them a very usable "old school" fork with great function. He brought the first San Andreas into the UK and I have the third but it's changed a lot now!

Rear shocks - 140mm was the standard, Risse could do a custom for you but no back up in the UK now. 140 and 152 eye to eye work well on the old style non VPS shock mount (bushing sizes are 16x6 and 32x6mm) and don't steepen the head angle too much unlike the 165 i2i shocks. A quick look on shows some options from Fox and DT Swiss in both those lengths. I run a 152 DT shock which gives me about 3 3/4" travel but keeps the geometry close to original.

If you need any info about the original San An's just give me a shout.

Cheers,
    Gus

PS I'm in Perth Scotland BTW.
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    Oh, and it looks fantastic!

mtbr member
    Headset - 1 1/4" headset - didn't Gary Fisher have the right idea all along - bigger bearings, larger welding area for the headtube etc - oh aye all the arguments the 1.5 brigade gave. Why did we settly on 1 1/8" back in the day?!

Chris King do a devolution headset as mentioned - pricey but King is awesome I have a 10+year old headset on it's first set of bearings.

Evolution Importers (do Yeti Chris King etc) used to do a sleeve that reduced a 1 1/4" head tube down to 1 1/8" (as most of the old Yetis used the bigger headtube) Not sure if they still do them but it meant you could use any headset.

Gus

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cheers for the info Gus -
    Big help.
    Bookmarked all the sites and info.

Perth is a cool city - been there a few times, havn't ridden that area much though. My old haunts were around the Braid hills and Pentlands by Edinburgh and anywhere I could get to around Glasgow. Missing the terrain now I live over the pond in California now. Looks to be some bad-ass trails nearby me now though- with the added benefit of nice weather!
    4 and a half years in the US and 2 years in California is turning me into a wimp though - rained last weekend and I seriously thought twice about going out on the bike. Then i remembered that back in Scotland, i almost never got back home after a ride dry, warm and clean!!! Bring on the rain and mud!

mtbr member
    If you want to send that bike into MC we will be happy to hook you up