mtbr member

New Zen Swing arms are in

Hi All,
    New Zen swing arms arrived at Mountain Cycle last week. I installed mine last night and I thought I'd post an account of the installation so that the details are known. Firstly the swing arm is ostensibly identical to look at as the original Zen swing arms. The key difference is that the chain stays now join to the main pivot yoke at 45 degrees and therefore have, what should be, a much stronger weld. The the reinforcing additional piece of aluminum below this weld remains so it is likely to be a very strong joint. I weighed both swing arms, original and new, completely stripped of all parts and I came up with 2.0 lbs for the original and 2.1 lbs (2 lbs 1 ounce) for the new - so no real difference in weight. The difference is probably all in the paint as the new swing arm is black while my original was anodized shot-peened aluminum. I'm thoroughly pleased with the aesthetics of the black on white. MC is selling these at a very reasonable price so if your in need, jump on it while they have them - if not - I have a lightly used one for sale.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

nice!

bike looks better with the black swingarm. what size frame is that? dont have a Zen in my collection and that looks like the right size for me.
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!

mtbr member
    That is a large frame - which fits me great at 5'10". I'm told that when MC was sourcing the new swing arms, Kinesis came across 20 or so front triangles they still had. So I think you could get an original Zen brand new from MC with the upgraded swing arm if your quick.
    No conventional wisdom, just current wisdom. Reinvented knowledge that is seldom relevant as the variable landscape is vast.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hey Cracker, I've been on John's list since September last year for a new swingarm, do you have any advice on how to get hold of a replacement? I'm desperate to get riding again.

mtbr member
    Hey Capetown,
    I replied to your message a couple of hours ago but it didn't take, so I tap it out again. The swing arms are for sale at MC just give'm a call at 951-696-2560. They are selling for 200 bucks plus shipping. As you can see above, I didn't need a new swing arm but I did want to be sure that I got one of the new designs before they were all taken. So now I have two swing arms which should ensure that I can keep my Zen for a few more years - after owning all sorts of cockamamy contraptions from all over, Haro, Redline, Trek, Fisher, etc, all claiming to have reinvented riding nirvana, I've come full circle to a good ol' honest single pivot Zen with 100 mm of travel. I'm glad the guys at MC felt the need to help out the Zen owners; I really like this bike.
    All the best

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info Cracker, I was fortunate enough to stumble on the Zen a few years ago too and was very relieved to find out that MC had addressed the swingarm problem. I've broken two of the original swingarms (as have two of my buddies0, so hopefully the re-designed one will go the distance. I tried calling the MC office yesterday but unfortunately I went through to voicemail. I'm sure John will get to my claim soon though. I'm training for a 4 day race in a few months time, so I'm pretty anxious to get going on the Zen again.

mtbr member
    So we did get a "few" in (the US) and sent a few out for testing and fit. As an F.Y.I. there have been a few people waiting a really long time for a replacement and I would like to thank them personally for hanging in there. This was not an easy road for anyone. We did want to wait for the full shipment and MC EU to have inventory before we announce "in stock". We did this so that we were sure everything fit well and works well. I guess it does and MC US will be starting to ship US claims and purchases Monday March 30(swingarms will be available this Friday in the US). Please be patient as claims and purchases for MC EU still need to clear customs.

mtbr member
    Also I would like to add the $200.00 price was a 50/50 original owner out of warranty claim. If you are not the original owner (with valid documentation) then the swingarm is $400.00 + S/H
    * And again, much thanks to all the MC owners and fans who continue to support us

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's a good day! Thanks for the update.

mtbr member

oops from the purveyor of misinformation

I guess I didn't realize that that I got one of the early swing arms and that the rest were coming, nor did I know the pricing arrangements. My apologies.......it wasn't my intention to represent it any other way than the way it was.

VeloFello
    Just a quick Europe update - we've still not received the swingarms (quick boat Taiwan - California, Veeery sloooww boat/s TW-EU...) but as soon as they come in we have a couple due out to the UK, South Africa and Italy.

If you are not already on the list - either for a warranty, 50/50 or simple purchase, then get your orders in quick! We ordered a healthy number of these - but it's great to see we've got quite a few older Zen's being put back onto the trails... they are probably about 1/2 allocated already!

Now we have our new swingarm jig paid for and ready, we can / will order more in the future as & when we need to.
    I'm a Mountain Cycle employee...
    Check out our new blog at MountainCycle.com
    Or if you are hooked on Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the update VeloFello. I've decided to make use of the delay to get my Zen's main triangle re-painted. I've gone for a Mountain Cycle red powder coat finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    2 months later, and still no swingarm...

mtbr member
    Cape-
    Send an e-mail to the USHQ. My direct e-mail has not been working on this new network.

VeloFello
    I'm going to post something about this topic elsewhere - titled something like "we are not a postal carrier"...

I know we've been getting some serious flack on this forum recently regarding "MC never delivered XYZ.." so let me just make one thing quickly clear (as I'm typing this, waiting on hold, again, with one of our shipping companies) once we ship goods - it's the transporter who is responsible for delivering them...

We spend a lot (way too much) time chasing them up, and as I have news for Peter I'll let you know.
    I'm a Mountain Cycle employee...
    Check out our new blog at MountainCycle.com
    Or if you are hooked on Facebook

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    If you'll give me the shipping details, I'll be happy to do the chasing up... the problem is I've requested this from you on many occasions without any joy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Swing Arm Story

I broke two of the original swing arms, each in about 6 months, one on weld and other on machined piece in front of weld. I did some calculations and on the third I installed aluminum bars parallel to chainstays about an inch above them. It's been over 2 years and still going. Definitely a design flaw, but my work around is succesful.

By the way, I have some spare hangers and bearings and an extra triangle too, in case anyone needs them.

Frank

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Frank, that sounds like an interesting fix, I'd love to see some pictures. I received a replacement swingarm about 2 weeks ago... so far so good. The first shipment from MC Europe went missing so they sent another, for which I'm very grateful. If you posted 3 weeks ago I would definitely have taken you up on the extra triangle offer :-)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Fix for swing arms

Picture a ~ 1 cm aluminium bar parallel to each stay but about 2cm above them. Each end is drilled and tapped into its end and fastened to the frame with strong 10-32 bolts. They fit tightly, so resist compression and bolts hold them to resist tension. Only a fiddler would take the time since securing the ends well requires a bit of work, but I enjoyed it and they work! Recently snapped a bolt on a fast descent of extremely rocky stuff - shows the tension was high. I'm going to fix it soon before the thing breaks again. Not sure how to post pics.

mtbr member
    Dear All,
    When was the last time you serviced your bearings ?
    I think some of us overlook the "sealed bearing" because its sealed. Truth is they can be cleaned and re-greased (or replaced). This is just a friendly maintenance reminder to look out for your bearing because they "in turn" will look out for you.
    Spin well my friends.