Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New stuff.

Hmmmmm

New stuff.

San Andreas 2.0

New stuff.-193307_10150429339780720_351182540719_17537976_5040700_o.jpg
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Hmmmmm
    Zen II

New stuff.-191958_10150429339860720_351182540719_17537977_3364381_o-1.jpg
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 03-17-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Peace and Long Rides...

Hmmmmm

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I was waiting for MC to post these somewhere besides their facebook page.
    Eric looks like you beat them to the punch LOL

I really like the Zen 2, If I can get it in "all" black It's mine.."Well" when I can afford it anyway

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Oh no. This bike is not an San Andreas, never.
    I want back the old chassis with pivot location an geo of the Santa Cruz Heckler
    The new one also looks very very heavy!
    Oh no, i was waiting so long and now

Hmmmmm
    I've been wondering what size San An that is. It looks short.
    As far as weight goes. My old 06 was 33lb or so, with a similar build.
    I noticed in some of the photos that there appears to be some kind of geometry / BB height adjustment worked into the yellow link. (At the bottom of it)

I'm thinking Zen as well Eric. There is something I like about the new San An, but It's not me. Ironically the Zen is more like the San An was, in spirt anyways.

Is is just me, of do they look like they are using bushings in the pivots?
    That is not a bad thing. Bushings are actually better in high load situations anyways.
    Cartridge bearings are a misapplied marketing hype thing in too many cases.

I'm also thinking, that the raw frame, heavy duty milled proto pics we saw recently, must be the new Shockwave.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I'm thinking Zen as well Eric. There is something I like about the new San An, but It's not me. Ironically the Zen is more like the San An was, in spirt anyways.
    Yeah I like the "idea" of the San An, but it's not for me. My next build will be a "lightish" trail bike to replace the Fury. Then again the Zen looks fairly "beefy" sort of like the Fury..Perfect LOL
    Is is just me, of do they look like they are using bushings in the pivots?
    That is not a bad thing. Bushings are actually better in high load situations anyways.
    Cartridge bearings are a misapplied marketing hype thing in too many cases.
    WOW I think you might be right, In the close up pics It doesn't look like it has room for cartridge bearings. I do like the idea of bushings too though. May be needle bearings?

I'm also thinking, that the raw frame, heavy duty milled proto pics we saw recently, must be the new Shockwave.
    The bike in the proto pics appeared to have an adjustable head tube or headset that adjusts the head angle?,so you are probably right. I don't see that in the bikes in this post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Be interesting to see the geo and weight on these suckers. I had an original San Andreas back in the day and it was an awesome bike. Not sure I would go for a high/forward single pivot now but would love to try one out and prove myself wrong.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Got a 2003 SA, and if I hadn't got a Tracer VP a couple of years ago, I'd be very tempted by these. Like the SA2, a bit of a Santa Cruz toptube, Commencal swingarm (theirs used to look like the SA monocoque) Tremor curves, SA mast and look - and the red looks a bit like the Foes Hydro too. Cool distinctive love or hate looks (very MC still) and if it rides as good as looks, it should be a winner!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I was lucky enough to see the prototype Zen II in the flesh as I ride with g regularly.

Unfortunately due to me being vertically challenged, there is no chance of me ever riding one of g's bikes, so I can't comment on how it rides (Touching the pedals and reaching the bars is just out of the question) although g was raving about it.

My thoughts, it is a lot lighter than it looks and I know they tweaked the proto frame to get it down further. It looks really solid and is definitely going to be stiff. Its not a super light bike (but then I don't thin it was designed to be), but is definitely competitive with others on the market in its travel range. Personally I can live with a bit of strength as a trade off anyway, but weight is not an issue on the Zen.

Couldn't give you geometry figures from looking at the bike, other than to say it all looked right, if that makes any sense.

It will be interesting to see the difference in weight between the Zen and San An, but I am not expecting it too be too much at all.

I'll be getting a San An myself, but the Zen really catches the eye. Hard call between the two, but I am going for the extra travel for some of the steeper trails around here.

Hmmmmm
    Well, the more I look at it, the more the new San An is growing on me.
    I can't afford a new bike though.
    That head angle is really slack on the San An.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I keep coming back to the photo and get that dangerous 'new bike' itch, but with 4 nice bikes (including an 03 San An) I can't really scratch... Cool looks with visual MC cues, but like it's evolved. Worth the wait - hope it rides well and gets the good reviews - it'd be good to see them on top again. In the meantime...MUST...BE...STRONG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by playbike
    Oh no. This bike is not an San Andreas, never.
    I want back the old chassis with pivot location an geo of the Santa Cruz Heckler
    The new one also looks very very heavy!
    Oh no, i was waiting so long and now
    I agree, they should call it something else. That just alienates anyone who knows what a SA is. Same with the carbon XC bike - alienation. I wish MC would stick to what made them a cult bike builder and only change the things that drove them out of business.

Sent from my Iphone
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I wish MC would stick to what made them a cult bike builder and only change the things that drove them out of business.
    I agree with this alot. But i love the new bikes and hope they come out soon,and be available to be purchased in frame only not like the new carbon which is complete bike only. Also wonder the travel on these as well as the geometry. Looks like a 1.5" headset which would be nice and the swing arms look the same except for the yellow links. Interesting very interesting.......just got a Rumble and Fury now this. Gonna need some more room.
    Mike G.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lv4sndz
    I agree with this alot. But i love the new bikes and hope they come out soon,and be available to be purchased in frame only not like the new carbon which is complete bike only. Also wonder the travel on these as well as the geometry. Looks like a 1.5" headset which would be nice and the swing arms look the same except for the yellow links. Interesting very interesting.......just got a Rumble and Fury now this. Gonna need some more room.
    Mike G.
    Frame only is a must. People who buy Trek, Giant and S are into complete builds. people who buy Mountain Cycle, build their own.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agree with Mountain Cycle Shawn.
    That bike has not 1 feature that resembles the San Andreas.
    Really should of got Robert Reisinger to design the new San Andreas. That would have been an awesome touch.

Josh

I agree, they should call it something else. That just alienates anyone who knows what a SA is. Same with the carbon XC bike - alienation. I wish MC would stick to what made them a cult bike builder and only change the things that drove them out of business.

Sent from my Iphone

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well the new web page is up and running and it looks like the bikes are not gonna be available as frame only. Looks like they are gonna come with forks wheels and cranks. Not impressed at all, i already have my own parts that i want to put on it. Don't need all the other stuff. Please please MC make these available as frame only...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lv4sndz
    Well the new web page is up and running and it looks like the bikes are not gonna be available as frame only. Looks like they are gonna come with forks wheels and cranks. Not impressed at all, i already have my own parts that i want to put on it. Don't need all the other stuff. Please please MC make these available as frame only...
    X2!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbmx
    Agree with Mountain Cycle Shawn.
    That bike has not 1 feature that resembles the San Andreas.
    Really should of got Robert Reisinger to design the new San Andreas. That would have been an awesome touch.

Josh
    I actually talked to Robert about that a while ago, as I had a new idea for him. He said that the SA was incredably difficult and time consuming to design as a monocoque, and that he wasn't interested in doing it again. That's why the frame geometry was never modernized as longer travel bikes became the norm. He kinda said that it couldn't be modernized and work. That's why the Tremor had bad breakage problems.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    In my opinion, I wish SA would have been like a Porsche 911: A simple basic design that is true to it's roots, that gets better year after year after year. A bike that 20, 30 or 40 years down the road, would resemble the original design. At one time, when everyone started going with longer suspension, I thought the SA was really outdated. But with the invention of stable platform shocks, a simple single pivot with a low BB is all you need. The only problem with the classic SA is the high BB. If the original could be redesigned with a low BB, a better ratio and maybe a link similar to the Nickel and Butcher to give a little better performance, I think that MC wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    If the original could be redesigned with a low BB, a better ratio and maybe a link similar to the Nickel and Butcher to give a little better performance, I think that MC wouldn't be able to make them fast enough.
    Judging by the photo,You "basically" just described the Zen 2 LOL (minus the seat mast of course)
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the Zen 2 was IMO: A better looking Nickel..
    I see what you are saying though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Judging by the photo,You "basically" just described the Zen 2 LOL (minus the seat mast of course)
    The first thing I thought of when I saw the Zen 2 was IMO: A better looking Nickel..
    I see what you are saying though...
    The new SA should look like a SA. And the Zen is really, travel wise closer what the SA should be. I guess what I mean is a SA sould be no more then a 130 - 140mm travel trail bike. More like a Nickel.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    The Nickel is much sexier.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Hmmmmm
    I've looked at the close up pics on other websites like Facebook and the new San Andreas is at least semi monocoque. The upper tubing is stamped and welded halves.
    The San An has a seat mast, although it's not adjustable.
    It's a modified single pivot.
    It's red.
    I wish it had a red or black swingarm though.
    I see the San An in that bike.

The Zen uses the same basic pivot point and I think from the photos uses the same swingarm. I wish the one model wasn't black and white though, because it makes me think of a police bike. I wish it was all black.

Getting back to the San An 2.0, I do like that multi colored black, white and red paint job.
    Actually I like the red too, I just wish it had a red swingarm.

The original San Ans were great bikes, but they were outdated in later years. The new bike addresses those issues while still maintaining the spirtit of the original.

I'm actually glad my original SA broke a year ago, it's given me a fresh look on what needed to be done.
    My only real concern is this. Is that new San An as short as it looks, or is there a long version.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm with Eric. The San An was dated and as good as they were, slightly tweaking the design wasnt going to work. while a few "hardcore" MC fans may like this sort of thing, it would be committing commercial suicide to be releasing an outdated bike.

Personally I see quiet a few references In the new San An to the old. Can't wait to ride one myself.

Still tossing up between the Zen and San An though. Zen is probably the more suitable bike for my riding but I keep going back to the San An.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast