mtbr member
    Jul 2008

new parts for rumble,need help choosing

currently i have a rock shok100mm on the front and V brakes on both ends.i would like to upgrade to some beefier wheels/hubs,add disk brakes and maybe a 140mm fork.
    is there any limits to the disk size for the rear?im looking for suggestions on what brakes to run.im fairly new to all disk setups.i liked the strokers on my pitch just for comparison sake.
    for wheels i was thinking about picking up a crossmax set from a friend or putting together a mavic 729 rim/king rear hub and a stout front.i want to keep it strong.
    im looking at so many forks i get confused.im sure 140mm would be enough for me so it really comes down to brand.
    any and all feedback is welcome.i just want a well rounded trail/FR/DJ bike.

Hmmmmm
    I know a 140mm fork will work. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike.
    XC equals a shorter fork. All Mountain and park, a longer fork. I don't know what the maximum is on travel.
    I'm partial to Fox. A lot of people also like Marzocchi.
    Since you want an all around type bike, you might consider something with a platform of some sort, so it will sprint well, but still suck up bigger hits.
    I also like Manitou's stable platform damping systems, but not in a super dry desert climate. Manitou's seals have been a stiction nightmare here in the desert. They don't blow and start leaking, but you have to keep wiping the seals and stanchions off during a ride here.
    I'd go with a 15 or 20mm through axle as well.
    Depending on what kind of adapter you use, you can run a 6 or 7 inch rotor. Most of us run a 6" (160mm) rotor on the back of our bikes, but some run 7".
    I personally prefer Avid brakes. The only exception to that, is the BB-5s.
    I've had problems with sticky pistons in Hayes brakes. That may be because of the dry dusty climate though.
    I've been having good luck with some Shimano Deore hydros as well. That isn't off road though! That has been on my "urban speedster".
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are building up a fun bike..
    I've had a few Rumbles and have tried a bunch of different setups.

I mostly agree with what that mopar guy said but figured I'd add my 2 cents

On both my Rumbles I ran a 6 inch rotor in the rear. It fits fine,and I found it to have more than enough power for regular trail-FR use.
    If you want more breaking power, are a heavier rider,or ride in wet or steep conditions,I recommend you run a larger 7 or 8 inch rotor in the front.

As for brand, If you like the Stroker's stick with them. They are a good brake, and If you look around online, you can find some really good deals on them right now..

For a fork, since you plan to do some FR and DJ riding I highly recommend you look for a fork (and front wheel) with a 20mm axle and possibly adjustable travel.
    A Rock Shox Pike U-Turn coil fork would be a good match.
    It's strong,not too heavy,and has adjustable travel (95-140mm) You could run it at full travel for most riding and drop it down for Dirt Jumping.
    Like Eric above said, Marzocchi and Fox also have some great 140mm forks.
    If you don't want to spend a lot, you could also look in to an older used Manitou Nixon (145mm) with TPC damping (avoid SPV) That's what I ran on one of my Rumble's and I'm currently using on my Fury. It's an excellent "Do It All" fork for the money.

For wheels, that "mavic 729 rim/king rear hub and a stout front" would be a great setup for the type of riding you do.
    If you want to spend less an Azonic Outlaw wheelset would work well too..

Hope this helps..E

BTW: For even more help post your question here...

http://www.mountaincycle.com/community/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i know this is prob a stupid question but how much differance does a 20mm axle make?im having a hell of a time finding a fork fitted for a 20mm axle.almost every great deal i find ends up being a 9mm standard axel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    i know this is prob a stupid question but how much differance does a 20mm axle make?im having a hell of a time finding a fork fitted for a 20mm axle.almost every great deal i find ends up being a 9mm standard axel
    Basically 20mm is stronger and stiffer, with the added bonus that your front wheel would never fall out of the dropouts.
    "like" say if you ever forgot to fully tighten a QR LOL

I have had 2 Manitou Nixons on 2 different bikes at the same time. One QR and One 20mm.
    I could easily feel the difference in stiffness between the two while cornering and in rock gardens.
    I'm still using the QR on my XC-trail bike (MC Fury) and a 20mm on my Freeride bike. (was a Nixon now a RS Domain)
    I really regret selling the 20mm Nixon but at the time I only had one 20mm wheel. Now I'm looking for another one LOL

If you really plan to do any Dirt Jumping or larger Drops go for a 20mm.
    For regular Trail-XC use QR will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    well it came together faster than i thought it would.all my parts came in and im picking it up tommorow.ill post some pics when i do.

im looking for a chain guide for it.currently using truativ hussefelt cranks.suggestions?i really like black spire parts

mtbr member
    well it came together faster than i thought it would.all my parts came in and im picking it up tommorow.ill post some pics when i do.

im looking for a chain guide for it.currently using truativ hussefelt cranks.suggestions?i really like black spire parts
    Single or dual ring?
    For dual ring the Blackspire Stinger is cheap and works well..
    I haven't run single ring so I have no idea about that..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Single or dual ring?
    For dual ring the Blackspire Stinger is cheap and works well..
    I haven't run single ring so I have no idea about that..
    dual ring.i sent blackspire a message asking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

mtbr member
    Yes That's exactly what I meant..A friend of mine is using those on 2 of his bikes and loves them..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Yes That's exactly what I meant..A friend of mine is using those on 2 of his bikes and loves them..
    im not sure which one i should get.since im using a truativ huss crank set w/howitzer BB which one should i order?thanks for all the help

mtbr member
    im not sure which one i should get.since im using a truativ huss crank set w/howitzer BB which one should i order?thanks for all the help
    I honestly have no idea. It really depends on how you need mount it (BB,ISCG,ISCG 05)
    contact John at MC he should have the info you need..

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    would i need a 32mm clamp for the rumbles seat post

mtbr member
    I run the Stinger on my Sin (2 ring) it's works well. Run the ISCG mount (if you Rumble has the tabs) and you will be fine. Most of the time with 2 ring set up and those wheel tensions you will have to fine tune it anyway.

The seat tube clamp size is 34.9mm (or 35mm)