mtbr member

Need San Andreas Classic Swingarm

I recently started rebuilding my circa 1993 San Andreas and saw a crack in the rear swingarm (inside the swingarm up by the shock mount). I was hoping to rebuild the bike but it's scrap aluminum without the swingarm!

I am looking for anyone who might have a swingarm laying around, hopefully off a San An that has a broken frame. If so, please PM me so we can work something out if you are willing to part with it.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    I still have the swingarm from my broken San Andreas DNA. Dunno if that fits though.
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, not sure if it would work but I'll ask the experts. If it does, would you be willing to part with it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shmrcksean
    if you are willing to part with it.
    Very good question.... I have a NEVER used, straight out the box, Classic swingarm hanging in my garage... Not sure if my OCD will let me part with it

BTW... the DNA swingarm will not work for you.

Considering my brand new swingarm is worth more than your used main frame... how bout you sell the main frame to ME & forget about your build

I will have to think about this one... Let me know if you want to part with your half...

mtbr member
    You'll need another Classic era swingarm as the later models used bearings rather than the through shaft on your frame. I had my late model (non DNA) swingarm modified to allow it to mate to the old front end http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...76705#poststop but if you could source an original, that would be the best bet.
    ---
    Old skool is the new skool

My dot net

75% Mountain cycle

Small enough to be heat treated

You may be able to get it repaired. It's small enough to be easily heat treated again after welding so you could probably find a metal shop that could hook you up. Talk with your local motorcycle shop, dirt bikers are jhard on their equipment. Don't scrap the main frame if you decide to get rid of it, I'm sure you can find a buyer for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MC9.5
    I will have to think about this one... Let me know if you want to part with your half...

MC9.5...that's a tough decision. My San Andreas was my first "real" bike. Got it from Robert Reisenger himself...my neighbor was good friends with him and they hooked me up back in the 90's. I went to school out in Gunnison, CO, and they wanted it ridden around Colorado and Utah to get the name out. So I have sentimental attachment to it.

I do think that two good parts are going to waste that would make a great classic bike. I still have my Manitou 3's, Magura hydro rim brakes, and XT everything. I can't find my thumbies though but my rapid fire shifters are hanging from Grafton shifter perches.

If you live near SoCal, maybe we can meet and Ro-Sham-Bo over it....best 2 out of three. Unless I lose, then 3 out of 5!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    MC9.5...that's a tough decision. My San Andreas was my first "real" bike. Got it from Robert Reisenger himself...my neighbor was good friends with him and they hooked me up back in the 90's. I went to school out in Gunnison, CO, and they wanted it ridden around Colorado and Utah to get the name out. So I have sentimental attachment to it.

I do think that two good parts are going to waste that would make a great classic bike. I still have my Manitou 3's, Magura hydro rim brakes, and XT everything. I can't find my thumbies though but my rapid fire shifters are hanging from Grafton shifter perches.

If you live near SoCal, maybe we can meet and Ro-Sham-Bo over it....best 2 out of three. Unless I lose, then 3 out of 5!
    HAHAHA Sorry I live in RI, so we may have to find another way...
    I see what your talking about. I would not want to let it go either if I were you.

Tell me this. Does your swingarm have bushings or bearings? My classic has Bearings...
    Let me know, maybe we can work something out.

Dave

mtbr member

How to tell bushings or bearings?

MC9.5...how can I tell the difference? I've never taken it apart at the swingarm. I just kept pumping grease through the port to keep it moving...never had a problem when I rode it.

I got it in 1993 and had one of the elastomer Aftershocks on it. It was upgraded a short time later to a Noleen coilover. I don't know if the age will tell but I can take a look at it to see what it has.

mtbr member
    On the 'Classic' the bearings are outboard on the swingarm, not internal. shmrcksean, yours is def an original first or second issue SA with the Delrin through shaft and no bearing cartridges - I started out with one of those around the same time . The two are not interchangeable without modification.
    ---
    Old skool is the new skool

My dot net

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Swing arm repair

I am currently in the process of having the derailleur hanger on my 2002 San Andreas repaired. The welder says that it is no problem to fix but I need to find out the exact alloy used so...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH ALLOY WAS USED ON THESE FRAMES???

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mountain Cycle Member
    That's easy, they were made of 6061 t6 Alloy, I myself have an old 1993 San Andreas in parts and 6160 alloy is what it says on the frame.

Also I don't want to part from my San Andreas, i still want to built it up as it was sold with the Suspenders USD, Pro-stop disc brakes and Pulstar hubs....
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    That's nice that you still have the Suspenders and Pro-Stop brakes. I wish I had gotten those. It would have been cool to have a complete buiid.

I have the Onza Mongo II headset sitting on my workbench and a Synchros quill stem in the box. I wish I could use them but I'm going to update the fork and other misc parts. I might keep the 7 speed drive train though.

I might try the weld to fix it. My buddy welds aluminum as a hobby to make things and he wants to take a shot at it but I his idea of heat treating and cooling is to pour some of his beer over the weld afterwards. I might look for a pro for the weld fix this time.

mtbr member
    How many (of you) would purchase a late model San Andreas Classic swingarm with retro kit to mount to your vintage San Andreas mainframes ?

mtbr member

I'm in!

I'd order one a new swingarm with a retrofit tonight if it was available. I'm not a purist...I'd just like to ride the bike again!. It'd be great if there was option to put a different shock stroke length on it...upping the travel to 4 inches without altering the geometry too much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd consider it if the price was reasonable. Mine's been hanging on the wall since Summer of 04.

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    How many (of you) would purchase a late model San Andreas Classic swingarm with retro kit to mount to your vintage San Andreas mainframes ?
    I don't need anything like that, because I own a 06, but I think it might be a good idea.
    Those older San Ans didn't have VPS, so you might have to come out with a different cleat, to keep the correct shock mounting geometry between the old frame and new model swingarm.

Later, Eric W.

I had a great ride at Bootleg today!
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by markg0410
    I am currently in the process of having the derailleur hanger on my 2002 San Andreas repaired. The welder says that it is no problem to fix but I need to find out the exact alloy used so...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH ALLOY WAS USED ON THESE FRAMES???

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    I'd like to know what this welder is planing to do.
    Aluminum must be heat treated after welding, or it will break at the new weld in short order.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I'd like to know what this welder is planing to do.
    Aluminum must be heat treated after welding, or it will break at the new weld in short order.
    I agree, mine was repaired about as good as you can and cracked outside of the new welds and gussets. It worked for about a season before several new cracks showed up. The monocoque is probably too thin to repair, but I'm not even close to an engineer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    Hi John,

I probably would if it was a good price - would be nice to have it as a back up. My original '93 frame snapped around the main pivot weld, replaced with a 1 1/8" mainframe (still non VPS) and then the original tube style subframe was replaced by the newer version (they made one to fit the old style front mount) and so I do worry the swingarm might eventually fail!

Gus
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    I'd order one a new swingarm with a retrofit tonight if it was available. I'm not a purist...I'd just like to ride the bike again!. It'd be great if there was option to put a different shock stroke length on it...upping the travel to 4 inches without altering the geometry too much.
    You can do that with a 152mm i2i shock (DT Swiss or Fox). It won't affect the geometry too much - the original was a 140mm i2i. 165mm is where it starts screwing with it on a non VPS frame IMO. Will take your travel to just under 4".

I use a basic DT Swiss air shock (rebound only) and it is very good - top Swiss quality and the version with the carbon air can is just gorgeous!

Gus

mtbr member
    Whats reasonable ?

mtbr member
    John - probably in the region of 250-300
    Gus

Hmmmmm
    There was different length shocks and different types of mounts on the swingarm and frame over the years.
    They will need to accommodate several model years somehow.
    I don't mean my 03 - 06 but even the older bushing models had crossovers in mounts etc.
    It would require very careful research on what models require what geometry.
    Even if they designed a 03 style swingarm with the shock cleat and a bushing compatible mount, it doesn't mean it would work for instance on a 95.
    At least I don't think it would be that simple.

Peace and Long Rides...