mtbr member

Mountain Cycle speculation

I think I may have an idea on what is going on. This is pure speculation. I went over to the Chumba section and looked at their bikes. They have a bike that looks a lot like a SA. A single pivot, built out of tubes instead of a monocoque, which is what MC should have done when it needed to be modernized. My guess is that MC has a multi year deal with Sotto to license the Turntable and Chumba bought MC in order to get that licensing agreement. I have a feeling that, because we haven't heard anything about the future of MC, Chumba is going to shelve MC and use the turntable on Chumba bikes. I'm guessing that G, John and crew were thrown a little bone to sign a Non Disclosure Agreement. That's why we don't hear any hard facts from them. It makes a lot of sense, Chumba is their baby. They don't owe MC or it's followers anything. Remember, this is pure speculation that is based on, basically no evidence.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Double-metric mtb man
    Don't put any faith in Chumba...they have disappeared off this forum (mtbr) and their own forum (on the Chumba website, coming up on 3 months and 2 months respectively) and they have been proving very difficult to get a hold of.

If they have their hands on MC, then you guys may be in for the same bumpy ride as the Chumba forum members have been getting. The Evo G2 has what can only be described as a major design flaw (suspension linkage bottoms out on the seat tube (all sizes of bikes) long before the suspension and travel reach their indicated max throws) and getting spares is like pulling teeth.

If they bough MC for that licence agreement, then my condolences go out to the fans of Mountain Cycle...it does not bode well.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Hmmmmm
    Mike is right. The one thing the new MC owners have shown, is total disrespect for current owners.
    I'm so glad my Fury is out of warranty and I didn't buy a new bike from MC.
    To think... When my trusty San An bit the dust 2 years ago, I considered a Chumba XCL, not knowing what was going on with Chumba.
    I don't really care for the bigger brands, but it's getting to the point were you can't trust the micro builders at all.
    If I ever get a new MTB, it'll probably be a Specialized, Kona etc. I'm not buying small anymore.
    Ellsworth is another brand with a dark history.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    I'm going to Santa Cruz for my next bike.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

mtbr member
    I'm with Shawn. I had great experiences with SC customer service when I broke my "used" Bullit.
    Good CS is how I base all my cycling related purchases,and one of the reasons why I had stuck with MC all these years. John,Eric,and Tim were great people to deal with.
    I'm hoping MC continues this tradition,but so far It's not looking so good

Double-metric mtb man
    Smaller builders can be a great investment or they can be hell. It depends on who you have running the ship. If you get folks like Noel Buckly (Knolly Bikes) and the gang at Santa Cruz or Banshee behind you (and most of them ride...the business is a way to make what they want to ride) then you get solid product and excellent customer service.

If you get someone who doesn't ride (or rides little / with little passion for the sport) and only sees a bike company as a business (i.e. in it for the money) then watch out. That's where all the corners get cut to make a buck...the product and CS go to pot and the owners are left hanging.

Prime example of it both ways: Ibex bikes. Previously, I wouldn't have touched one under the previous ownership and it got managed into the ground. Now, the current owner seems to care and, from what I have gleaned from someone with a new Ibex, they also seem to look after their customers.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    bye bye mc was great fun.will never forget the good times
    hello ibis mojo sl.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad
    2002? MountainCycle San Andreas

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    " it's getting to the point were you can't trust the micro builders at all."

One major exception to that is Niner bikes. They are a small 'boutique' brand that has outstanding customer service. They are pretty much the polar opposite of Chumba.

There are plenty of other small builders out there who do it right. Chumba is bad enough to leave a taint on almost all of them though.

mtbr member
    It's like ma and pa shops, it's just to hard to be small and make it.

I went to high school with the owner of Niner, he has always been a very classy guy. I'm not surprised at all about his success.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

the train keeps rollin
    Some of the smaller bike brands are still rocking it out, Ventana, Turner, Yeti, Pivot, Knolly, IBIS, Transition, Niner, and I'm sure a few others have really nice bikes and CS. I wouldn't let Scumba turn you to big brands, not everyone is a troll like Alan of Scumba Bikes.
    beaver hunt

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter View Post
    not everyone is a troll like Alan of Scumba Bikes.

Now you have insulted all the upstanding trolls.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I consult a Chumba XCL, not knowing what was going on with Chumba.
    It is a bigger brands, but it's getting to the point were you can't trust the micro builders at all.If I ever get a new MTB,it will probably be a Specialized, Kona etc. I'm not buying small anymore.