Maaaaan

Mountain Cycle is not in any 09 buyer's guides.

So far, I haven't seen MC mentioned in a single 09 buyers guide.
    What gives?

Later, Eric.
    Communist Party Member Since 1917.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The closest thing I have seen is photo of Jim D. on a Rumble taking part in a race @ Ray's. I believe it was in the last issue of MBA.
    It sucks there has been no love for MC lately in the mags....

mtbr member
    Trad mags work on a 'love for money' system folks. No advertise, no love. Sad but true and it's only the enlightened mags that don't work that way...
    ---
    Old skool is the new skool

My dot net

mtbr member
    Why?
    Because they don't have 20 neet looking bearings - Pivots to wear out in 6 months!!! "DUH"

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Why?
    Because they don't have 20 neet looking bearings - Pivots to wear out in 6 months!!! "DUH"
    Yeah, that's why Commencal and Cannondale both came out with single pivot bikes with bell cranks. The Moto and Metas look more impressive with those bell cranks and links.
    I bought a 09 buyer's guide that is put out by Decline magazine, and I can't believe the over complicated crap that they are starting to come out with.
    The new thing seems to be, links connecting links.

mtbr member
    Eric can you explain "bell cranks" fro me - not heard that terminology before.

Cheers,
    Gus
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by thekiltedskier
    Eric can you explain "bell cranks" fro me - not heard that terminology before.

Cheers,
    Gus
    Some of the Commencal bikes use a single pivot design, but they use a connecting link to a bell crank, which allows the shock to be mounted vertically against the seat tube.
    A bell crank is a triangle shaped way of transferring the direction of force.
    Instead of two bearings they must have at least 8, based on the number of pivot points I can see.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanis...bellcrank.html

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Commencal-Me...-MTB_19802.htm

This is Cannondale's take on it.
    http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/ima...20moto%202.jpg
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 03-21-2009 at 06:55 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Eric, that's kind of what I thought ie a type of single pivot with linkage driven shock.

I still love the original San Andreas construction with the swingarm pivot being a Delrin sleeve through the main frame with a grease injection port. Much better than sealed bearings! I wonder if someone else used that system and a marketing department got behind it if it would become the "Next Big Thing"?!
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

Maaaaan
    Quote Originally Posted by thekiltedskier
    Thanks Eric, that's kind of what I thought ie a type of single pivot with linkage driven shock.

I still love the original San Andreas construction with the swingarm pivot being a Delrin sleeve through the main frame with a grease injection port. Much better than sealed bearings! I wonder if someone else used that system and a marketing department got behind it if it would become the "Next Big Thing"?!
    Marketing hype has most persons convinced that bearings are better.
    I used to own a 2000 Stumpjumper FSR XC that had bushings with a kind of fibrous crush washer that kept out the dirt. I took it apart twice a year and greased them. It only had cartridge bearings on the main pivot. I liked that system.
    My 03 Stumpjumper FSR XC had full ball bearings, and needed periodic tightening of the cartridge bearings, but never broke.
    My 04 Jamis Dakar was a total POS that broke the bearings every two to three months. (also broke two swingarms).
    My 06 San An has been fine for 3 years of desert riding. No bearings replaced or even needing an adjustment. I just clean around them once in awhile.
    Turner uses greaseable bushings.
    I like both systems, when properly executed.

mtbr member
    Perhaps the magazines emailed them, and they didn't respond. God knows, I can't get them to respond to any emails that I've sent so far.
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    I didn't get any e-mails... Maybe nobody likes me
    What did you need Dropmachine ?