Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mountain Cycle is not in any 09 buyer's guides.

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  JRA009 
#1 ·
So far, I haven't seen MC mentioned in a single 09 buyers guide.
What gives?

Later, Eric.

#5 ·
mcrumble69 said:
Why?
Because they don't have 20 neet looking bearings - Pivots to wear out in 6 months!!! "DUH" :D
Yeah, that's why Commencal and Cannondale both came out with single pivot bikes with bell cranks. The Moto and Metas look more impressive with those bell cranks and links. :thumbsup:
I bought a 09 buyer's guide that is put out by Decline magazine, and I can't believe the over complicated crap that they are starting to come out with.
The new thing seems to be, links connecting links. :skep:

#7 · (Edited)
thekiltedskier said:
Eric can you explain "bell cranks" fro me - not heard that terminology before.

Cheers,
Gus
Some of the Commencal bikes use a single pivot design, but they use a connecting link to a bell crank, which allows the shock to be mounted vertically against the seat tube.
A bell crank is a triangle shaped way of transferring the direction of force.
Instead of two bearings they must have at least 8, based on the number of pivot points I can see.

http://www.flying-pig.co.uk/mechanisms/pages/bellcrank.html

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Commencal-Meta-6.2-Mountain-Bike-2009-Full-Suspension-MTB_19802.htm

This is Cannondale's take on it.
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/im...llsize/Bikes/Cannondale/Cannondale moto 2.jpg

#8 ·
Thanks Eric, that's kind of what I thought ie a type of single pivot with linkage driven shock.

I still love the original San Andreas construction with the swingarm pivot being a Delrin sleeve through the main frame with a grease injection port. Much better than sealed bearings! I wonder if someone else used that system and a marketing department got behind it if it would become the "Next Big Thing"?!

#9 ·
thekiltedskier said:
Thanks Eric, that's kind of what I thought ie a type of single pivot with linkage driven shock.

I still love the original San Andreas construction with the swingarm pivot being a Delrin sleeve through the main frame with a grease injection port. Much better than sealed bearings! I wonder if someone else used that system and a marketing department got behind it if it would become the "Next Big Thing"?!
Marketing hype has most persons convinced that bearings are better.
I used to own a 2000 Stumpjumper FSR XC that had bushings with a kind of fibrous crush washer that kept out the dirt. I took it apart twice a year and greased them. It only had cartridge bearings on the main pivot. I liked that system.
My 03 Stumpjumper FSR XC had full ball bearings, and needed periodic tightening of the cartridge bearings, but never broke.
My 04 Jamis Dakar was a total POS that broke the bearings every two to three months. (also broke two swingarms).
My 06 San An has been fine for 3 years of desert riding. No bearings replaced or even needing an adjustment. I just clean around them once in awhile.
Turner uses greaseable bushings.
I like both systems, when properly executed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.