mtbr member
    May 2009

Mountain Cycle MOHO Rebirth

1997 Mountain Cycle MOHO STS - a story of giving this fascinating MTB a new lease of life!

I'll start off from the beginning. I've been riding bicycles from very early age. Then, for my
    10th birthday (in 1992) I got my first 26" wheeled 18-speed MTB. It had a steel frame, rigid fork,
    basic non-SIS shifters and wheels that used to bend easily, but I've been happy with it until I got
    a GT Timberline FS in early 1998. With its CrMo frame, RapidFire shifters, a mixture of 21-speed
    Shimano STX-RC and LX components, basic RockShock suspension fork and strong alloy wheels,
    it was a revelation and I started enjoying cycling much more from then on .

(Un)fortunately, I didn't get to enjoy it for too long, because in the beginning of 1999 I bought this
    utterly fascinating Mountain Cycle MOHO STS. I often refer to it as "the best thing I've ever bought
    in my life" - and I'm sure it will stay that way for quite a while. And not only did it look like nothing
    I've seen before, but the ride feel was really special (now that pic brings some nice memories!).

It featured a beautiful hand-made 6061-T6 alloy frame with a patented "Softail Traction System"
    rear fork, Chris King A-head headset, 24-speed Shimano XT groupset (with an exception of XTR
    front derailleur), RockShox Judy XC fork and a very strong Bontrager wheelset with IRC Mythos XC
    tyres - all the proper stuff back in the day, plus some very rare bits such as Modolo Pilot stem and
    handlebar, Selcof CNC seatpost and Gipiemme Pluma Titanium saddle.

I simply loved riding it and even done some MTB/Cyclocross races on it but have then discovered
    road cycling, got into racing etc, so the MOHO became a "secondary bike". That's until I stopped road
    racing and dismantled my road bike to build a new one and equipped the MOHO with slick tyres and
    started using it more again, mostly on the road though.

It took me a while to gather all the parts for my new road bike - Kovjanic Custom (click here),
    but then the MOHO had again "taken the back seat". Although it was still in pretty good shape,
    the age has taken its toll and my next mission was to completely restore it to its former glory.
    While dreaming about it and slowly gathering parts, in 2007 I came across a Spinergy carbon
    wheelset for sale locally, something I've been after for my road bike as it happens. I couldn't
    miss such an opportunity, so I've had to buy them:

Nothing has changed much over the next couple of years, as I got back into active road cycling.
    I've only been using the bike for short rides in the city and surrounding hills. Also, I managed to
    get a Spinergy wheelset in 28" road bike form too - here they are both together:

By now, the bike had developed yet more creeks, squeels and groans and I've been daydreaming
    about rebuilding it, as it really deserved it! Since it hasn't seen too much use in its life, perhaps
    thorough dismantling, cleaning and regreasing would have been enough to bring it back to its
    former glory, but I decided to go a step further...

Read more about it in the following updates!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho

mtbr member

I also love this bike....

It's mine, bought in late 1998, upgraded every year until today....

http://iridemountaincycle.com/my-mc-moho-sts-from-italy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Cycle MOHO Rebirth-14022010221.jpg  

Last edited by superguzz; 03-10-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    "Walk softly and carry an armored tank division, I always say..."
    (Col. Nathan Jessup, "A Few Good Men", 1992)

mtbr member
    and I have also another brother waiting in garage for rebirth....
    Moho road....

:-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mountain Cycle MOHO Rebirth-001__moho-road-ep.jpg  

"Walk softly and carry an armored tank division, I always say..."
    (Col. Nathan Jessup, "A Few Good Men", 1992)

mtbr member
    May 2009

Listen!

Before I could actually start the rebuild, I've had to make some critical decisions. The first thing
    was the type of rebuild I'm going to carry out. I really wanted to do a proper restoration to original
    condition, however, I wouldn't be sattisfied with anything less than a brand new bike as a result.
    Since it seemed that it would be nigh on impossible to find each and every original component as
    brand new old stock, I decided that this will be a "hot rod" type of restoration instead - combining
    old with new, to create a retro product with modern appearance and improved performance.

With that in mind, the next thing to decide was whether to go for discs or not. Since going for discs
    meant changing the wheels, buying a new fork and making a custom caliper mount for the frame
    and since I didn't indend to ride this bike in snow and mud - I decided to stay with the V-brakes.

Then I started thinking about the suspension fork. Firstly, I like my fork and secondly, none of the
    better new forks have V-brake mounts. So I decided to stay with my Judy XC. I was thinking of
    creating custom graphics to make it more look up to date, but decided I'll stick with retro looks.
    The same goes for stickers on the frame - they've had to stay exactly as they are.

Speaking of the frame, my intention was to keep it looking polished, though I couldn't find anyone
    who could confirm that it will be possible to do that, due to any eventual protective surface coating.
    A small test shown that it might be possible to do it, but still I've had a few colour choices in the back
    of my mind, as a backup solution, should polishing fail.

Finally - I've done a mockup of the completed bike in Photoshop, ordered the remaining few bits
    and then the restoration, rebuild or more appropriately - rebirth - could commence!

14/Jul/2009 - Day 1 of the Rebirth

Naturally, I had done a few "before" photos (mmm... retrotastic!):

And then took it to my bike builder, who quickly disassembled it and then we assesed the situation:

It was a scary moment - I was without a MTB for the first time in 17 years and there was no going back!

The fork was also disassembled. Since it runs a sealed cartridge insert (that appeared to be fine,
    due to not seeing too much use), all we needed to do about it is clean and regrease the internals:

Day 1 complete - the story continues with the following update!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho and http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    missed out on buying one of these frames about two weeks ago. one day i will have one!
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    16/Jul/2009 - Day 2 of the Rebirth

The 2nd day was reserved for renewing the frame, wheels and fork, starting with stripping the decals:

I left the MC headtube sticker and the "hand built" one on the seat tube, to retain some originality.

Spinergy decals have also been removed, bar the "Rev X" logo:

Also, I removed the freewheel and one of the bearings to go hunt for new replacement parts.

Next up was getting the frame thoroughly polished to remove any oxydation, scratches etc.

We had to use the alloy polishing paste to get rid of the nastiest bits and then fine polishing
    paste to get a mirror finish. The result was a very shiny and sexy looking frame:

We'll see if the finish will be as long lasting as it was from the factory.

Then I picked up a complete decal set I designed based on the original decals (for the frame)
    and updated look decals for the wheels. I stress that these stickers have been unavailable
    for many years now, otherwise I would have got original manufacturer ones:

I got all the decals profesionally applied and the final result was a brand new looking frame!

The same could be said for the wheels.

And finally, we assembled the fork, polished the legs and the crown and touched up the stickers:

Started this day's work in the morning and finished it late in the night, but got everything ready
    for the final build! So far, so good!

Day 2 complete - the build commences in the following update!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=2
    Last edited by cybernck; 03-13-2010 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    17/Jul/2009 - Day 3 of the Rebirth

A preview of things to come . Here's the collection of parts I've gathered over the last few years:

On the way to my bike builder, I got the main bits weighed at a nearby grocery store .
    The frame weighs 1770g, the fork is 1210g and the wheels are ~940g each.

Having done so much planning and work, I genuinely felt as if I had built the frame .

Then we started building it up. The plan was first to build a frameset and then (re)build the wheels.

With RockShox Judy XC fork and Modolo Pilot stem fitted, the next in line was Mike Burrows (Giant)
    carbon fibre aero road seatpost - the choice that probably won't be approved by MTB-ers, but it will
    look great on the bike and aero seatposts are my "signature". USE 31.8 > 27.2 thermoplastic seatpost
    shim does its job properly.

Frameset built up and looking great - the bike is starting to take shape!

Then we started the work on the Spinergy wheels. The front wheel was fitted with brand new bearings and
    an innocent new hub killed in order to donate the freewheel, axle, cone and ball bearings for the rear wheel.

The cassette is a 11-32 tooth Shimano XT cassette. I would have got 12-28, if there was such an option.
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 directional tyres - one of the best XC tyres money can buy.

Wheels (re)built, running super smooth and looking as new!

Day 3 is half-way through now and continues in the next update!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=3

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Day 3 of the Rebirth finally continues...

I initially planned to get a chainset with carbon cranks, but opted for full compatibility and ease of
    maintenance in the end, so in the end I bought Shimano XT M770 chainset. Upon (a difficult) removal
    of the bottom bracket, it seemed that the start of the thread was damaged!

Luckily, it only turned out to be residue of the bottom bracket cups. Guys in a Shimano shop kindly
    cleaned it out. It took a best part of two hours though!

Shimano XTR M971 (top-normal) rear derailleur, XT M771 front derailleur and XT M770 V-brakes.

Shimano XT M770 STI levers - much better than the previous model. Unexpectedly, I got used to
    them within a few hours and would never switch back to RapidFire.

Gipiemme Pluma Titanio Evolution saddle - by some very strange strike of luck, I've managed to find
    a brand new item, a few years ago! The choice of grips is ODI Yeti Hard Core (not as comfortable as
    the ProGrip's I used to have, but still nice) and for the bar ends PowerPlay Carbon Pro (they will go
    along nicely with the seatpost and the wheels).

I also got new pedals (VP 104, like the ones I used to have, but in red) and new MTB-specific shoes
    (Shimano SH-M160) - no more slippery and dangerous steps in road shoes!

Woohoo! Completed and looking exactly as I had envisaged it! It rides like a new bike (which it basically is)
    and also much better than it has ever had. I'm really overwhelmed with the result.

Another dream come true... and Day 3 of the rebirth complete!

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=4

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Great Job!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Red Cateye Strada Wireless cyclocomputer was added a few days later.

A year after the rebirth, it's still going strong. I love it! :-)

Full size photos here: http://photos.cybernck.com/mcmoho?page=5