Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007

Moho STS cable routing

Im new to the MC scene, just bought a slightly used 03 Moho STS mtb frame. I'm trying to figure out exactly how to mount the cables. The frame came with the guides, I'm just wondering if anyone can post some pics of how they're run (can't really find any good ones on google).

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    The front derailer cable is run down the bottom of the down tube. You run housing to the housing stop, then run bare cable the rest of the way. When you come to the aluminum tube, there should be a thin plastic tube inside that the cable runs through. There should be a plastic bare cable guide that screws the the under side of the botom bracket where the cable goes around it and up to the derailer.

The rear brake cable is run on the top of the top tube on the left side. You run the cable housing to the first stop. Bare cable to the second stop, then housing from the second stop to the rear brake. there is a housing guide in front of the seat post, just slip the cable housing into it.

The rear derailer is just like the rear brake, but you run it on the right side. But you will have an extra section of bare cable and housing. So it will be housing to the first stop, bare cable to the second stop, slip the housing in the guide in front of the seat post and run it past the seat post, down the seat stay, then bare cable to the next stop, then housing to the derailer.

There maybe a cable stop above the rear rim brake and just below the seat tube seat stay junction, right in the middle, next to the rear derailer stop. This won't be used it you are running a v-brake or a disc brake.

The best thing to do is find some housing adapters for the cable stops, so you can run full housing the whole way. They are little adapters that screw into the cable stops.

Here are some images I just took, I was going to post some pics here today anyway. I have mine setup as a single speed, so I can't show you all the routing.

Do you have a rear disc mount for yours? Iv'e been looking for one so I can run a rear disc brake.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mountain Cycle Shawn; 01-20-2008 at 12:21 PM.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the response, although it looks like my setup is a little different. I did find a pretty good pic of what mine looks like:

Looks like:
    1) rear der. goes under mono on right side/follows bike on right side/no break in housing
    2) rear brake goes under mono on left side/follows bike on left side/no break in housing
    3) front der.(top pull - there is a welded guide behind the "M" in moho) goes on left side as well? This is where I can't really tell. It looks like it runs on the left side and from the guide under "STS" makes a pretty hard loop to the guide behind the "M"?

Mine does have rear disc mounts (but I'm using v's for now!) Also there are no welded mounts on the top of the mono. The silver/chome/raw looks hot btw! (mine's black like above)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    Thanks for the response, although it looks like my setup is a little different. I did find a pretty good pic of what mine looks like:

Looks like:
    1) rear der. goes under mono on right side/follows bike on right side/no break in housing
    2) rear brake goes under mono on left side/follows bike on left side/no break in housing
    3) front der.(top pull - there is a welded guide behind the "M" in moho) goes on left side as well? This is where I can't really tell. It looks like it runs on the left side and from the guide under "STS" makes a pretty hard loop to the guide behind the "M"?

Mine does have rear disc mounts (but I'm using v's for now!) Also there are no welded mounts on the top of the mono. The silver/chome/raw looks hot btw! (mine's black like above)
    You have the latest version of the STS frame that came with the continous cable routing and IS disc mount. It's actually an '02 (maybe '01) since the frame was replced with the rumble in 2003.

Do you have the plastic cable guides that are screwed into the tabs? If not MC can get you some. The guides should help tidy things up, but i think you basically have things going in the right direction.

Tim

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    Tim,
    I wasnt given much info on the frame (seller said 03) so I'll take your word its an 01-02

While Im on the subject, it measures 23" from center of head tube to center of seat tube. I take it this is a large? Any idea what size rider this best fits? Im 5'11", 140 (lanky mofo)

Oh and I do have all the guides in a bag.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcxu
    Tim,
    I wasnt given much info on the frame (seller said 03) so I'll take your word its an 01-02

While Im on the subject, it measures 23" from center of head tube to center of seat tube. I take it this is a large? Any idea what size rider this best fits? Im 5'11", 140 (lanky mofo)

Oh and I do have all the guides in a bag.
    That looks like a large, possibly a medium. It should work fine for you for crosscountry riding. Just adjust the stem length and seat so you are comfortable.

Install the cable guides to help get your cables in order.

Good luck,

Tim