Mountain Cycle Member

Mediacoverage Interbike

Does MC still exist for the outside world in media coverage? I see a lot of Virtual boots for other small company's, but not for MC. Do they not want to showcase the MC booth? Do they think the line-up is 'old'?

It's kinda sad that so much other small company's that exist only for a few years are known to a lot of bikers, and that MC, which is one of the revelutionary icons of the bike industry is now hardly known by the majority of bikers.
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

Hmmmmm
    You're not missing much.
    If they had live coverage, it would have looked like a brothel, what with all the Bootleg Canyon "Ho's" running around Crash's booth.
    John and Crash were running around looking like a couple of lost pimps fencing off stolen goods.
    Dan Haskins, who is the new trail master at Bootleg, looked puzzled at all the half naked women flesh running around the booth.
    Of course, we can't blame Dan too much, if anyone has seen the world famous local video, of Francine in the Super D race, in which her pants had fallen down near the beginning of the course, you'd be thinking "is that what she's hiding under those bike shorts?" too.
    (She kept racing like that too)
    Me...I was nicking stuff whenever no one was looking...

Pretty boring stuff really...
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 10-22-2009 at 04:14 PM.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The lack of MC coverage wasn't for lack of trying on our part, I assure you.

A lot of the newer, smaller brands actually had an organised booth at the outdoor Demo and at Interbike proper which is why they got coverage and some of the more established brands didn't. I made a point of looking for Mountain Cycle (we're big fans on the site and I wanted to get some new pics to give them a bit of a push) but could not find a booth. And I had the Interbike guide so if MC were there in an exhibitor capacity they were very well hidden.

The great thing with Interbike is also it's worst point, from a media perspective: There are literally hundreds of products that need to be covered and very little time to actually get everything we need to. 9 hours a day might sound like a lot of time but until you've been in the halls you really can't get a grasp on just how little time it really is.

I saw a sum total of 3 Mountain Cycle products during Interbike: 1 was a Battery frame at the Elka Suspension booth, 1 was a fully built up Battery that was leant up against the stand of a Taiwanese exhibitor (who seemed to be making stickers. It was quite confusing), and the 3rd was a Fury that was being wheeled around the halls which I believe belonged to an attendee rather than being on display.

I know that to exhibit at Interbike costs a fairly serious chunk of change so I'm not in any way complaining about any manufacturer who was unable to take a booth. However, Evil had a pretty effective way of getting around that by having press & dealers come to their hotel suite to view the product. Even this isn't ideal with meetings having to be scheduled so close to each other, (even getting from the show floor to the hotel can take 30 minutes - and they're attached to each other!) but it's one possible solution.

I really want to see MC succeed and will continue to do whatever I can to promote them. However, if there's a lack of media coverage please don't just assume it's because we're not interested. We can only work with what's made available to us and sometimes we're given no option but to run the two features we've actually been able to write because a brand works with us over the one we'd like to go with.

For what it's worth we're running a trail bike test early in the New Year and are still hoping to include a Fury in the line up.

Hmmmmm
    They were there at Interbike.
    MC shared a booth with Dave "crash" Collins, AKA Crash Inovations.
    At least at the outdoor demo.
    Some didn't make the outdoor demo though, like Maxxis.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I could not find MC at Eurobike either, well just some frames on a wall on somebody else's booth and no one to talk too.... ;-(