Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,146

    I gave the San Andreas a refresh.

    RS Dual air U-turn fork
    2010 X-fusion 02PVA shock
    Titec carbon Pluto bar
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    Spinergy Enduro wheels on WTB Mutano Raptor race tires
    Alligator rotors 160mm front, 140mm rear
    Weight is 27 pounds

    All the other parts are a little older

    The shock has some really good reviews. Everyone seems to feel it's better then a Fox shock. I only got a chance to ride it on the road today, but it seems to work good. The only bad thing is this 6.5" x 1.5" shock is about 1/4" longer then the Stratos shock that was on it. the Stratos shock was always advertised as a 6.5" x 1.5", but it's not that long. I didn't know that till I put the X-fusion on, It wouldn't fit, so I had to cut off a little bit of the front derailer post so it wouldn't the swingarm. And now the BB height is even higher. Which is something I really wanted to avoid. So, I am running 30% sag, and I'll just have to deal with the high BB.

    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Looks Great!!!!

    Please post up your thoughts on the rear shock after you gave had some more time on it..
    I'm about due for a new one myself..
    I was set on using a RS Monarch, (I had one on my other bike and loved it) BUT I have been hearing "really" good things about X-Fusion..

    BTW: IMO Everything I've tried feels better than a Fox air shock due to their lack of midstroke

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Looks Great!!!!

    Please post up your thoughts on the rear shock after you gave had some more time on it..
    I'm about due for a new one myself..
    I was set on using a RS Monarch, (I had one on my other bike and loved it) BUT I have been hearing "really" good things about X-Fusion..

    BTW: IMO Everything I've tried feels better than a Fox air shock due to their lack of midstroke
    I think that's a problem with most air shocks on the SA, because of the 3:1 leverage ratio. Even my newer SA with a 5th Element coil, I had to run the high speed comp. really high to keep it from blowing through the midstroke. I can tell you it doesn't feel like that is a problem with this shock. The reducers and bushings are really tight and I'm having to run the pressure low at 110 to get enough sag and it still doesn't feel like it blows throw the travel.

    If you want one, contact John at jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com . He sold me this 2010 shock for $120, which is a great price.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn
    I think that's a problem with most air shocks on the SA, because of the 3:1 leverage ratio. Even my newer SA with a 5th Element coil, I had to run the high speed comp. really high to keep it from blowing through the midstroke. I can tell you it doesn't feel like that is a problem with this shock. The reducers and bushings are really tight and I'm having to run the pressure low at 110 to get enough sag and it still doesn't feel like it blows throw the travel.

    If you want one, contact John at jvalera@x-fusion-shox.com . He sold me this 2010 shock for $120, which is a great price.
    I'd actually be using it on a Fury, so the ratio is different,but would still like to hear your general impressions of the X-Fusion.

    I don't think it's just limited to the SA, I've tried Fox air shocks on numerous different bikes including 2 of my own and all seemed to have poor midstroke performance compared to others I have tried.
    I have had good luck with the RS Monarch,and Manitou 3 and 4 Way Air shocks in the past on Single Pivot's but I would like to consider other options..

    Right now I'm running a "old" Swinger 3 way air that worked really well but it's getting tired and I don't feel like getting it rebuilt again

    Thanks for the reply!!!!

  5. #5
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,629
    I curious about the shock as well. I have a Hippie Teched 3-Way coil that worked pretty good on my San An, but it works even better on the Fury.
    The high leverage ratios deffinately play havoc on the shock tuning.

    I'd like to hear about the Alligator rotors as well. Stopping power and more importanly how quiet are they.

    Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I curious about the shock as well. I have a Hippie Teched 3-Way coil that worked pretty good on my San An, but it works even better on the Fury.
    The high leverage ratios deffinately play havoc on the shock tuning.

    I'd like to hear about the Alligator rotors as well. Stopping power and more importanly how quiet are they.

    Eric.
    I have two sets of the Alligators. One with Hayes Stroker Trails and one set with the older Hayes brakes, the black set on the SA above, I guess they are called HFX or something like that. The Alligators, so far, and I don't have much time on them yet, don't seem to have the power of the standard Hayes rotors. But they are not grabby at all. The Alligators have enough power, you just have to squeeze a little harder. Trueness is about the same. Iv'e never had a perfectly true rotor and I have owed at least 20 of them. I don't notice any difference in noise, but I haven't had any water on the Alligators yet. I like the Alligators better and I sure they will gain a little more power as the rotors break in. And, they look pretty cool.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    130
    love that bike

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    412
    looks sweet.

  9. #9
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,629
    I was hoping a 20 year anniversary edition of the new SA would be polished, with retro "R" graphics.
    Those things look awesome like that.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mountain Cycle Shawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,146
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I was hoping a 20 year anniversary edition of the new SA would be polished, with retro "R" graphics.
    Those things look awesome like that.
    That would be nice. But, I really like the graphics on the new Mountain Cycles.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •