mtbr member
    Jul 2010

How to Protect the BB Shell on my MC Fury???

So I was doing a once over on my Fury before taking it for a ride and I noticed a deep nick on the BB shell. It got me worried, and I did some research on frame protection but couldn't find anything that would work on the BB Shell. I found protection for the downtube, and alota people described using a piece of innertube or tire zip tied. I've been trying to figure out a way of strapping or adhering something to protect it. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    So here's my experiment; it's not pretty but it does the job!

mtbr member
    Lizard Skins makes stick on frame protection patches.
    One is made from clear plastic that you can cut to fit, The other is a patch made of leather.
    I have used the leather ones to prevent cable rub in the past and they work really well,but you MUST make sure you clean the area very good before applying them or they will fall off.

Also if you have a Home Depot nearby, They "used to" sell thick clear stick on plastic sheets similar to the clear Lizard Skins one mentioned above.
    It's a few mm thick and very sticky. You can also cut it to fit the area you need to apply it to.
    I haven't seen it in my local store in a while, but it's worth a look if you have one close enough.
    A friend of mine bought a few feet of that stuff and covered his frame with it a few years back. It was overkill, but did work LOL

Is that mark on the BB from cable housing rub,or something else?
    Just curious because I've had my Fury since 2006 and have never hit the BB shell on anything. It sounds like it could be an interesting story
    Last edited by mcrumble69; 04-18-2011 at 06:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69

Is that mark on the BB from cable housing rub,or something else?
    Just curious because I've had my Fury since 2006 and have never hit the BB shell on anything. It sounds like it could be an interesting story
    The cable housing would have made a smooth mark, but this mark is indented and jagged. It appears as if a jagged rock flew up and took a nice chunk off. Since the BB is such a small area I don't think I could have run into a large rock without it also hitting my chain rings, so that only leaves the possibility of a rock flying into it at high speed.

Rides a Bike
    That tire solution you have worked will do the job for the BB quite well. Aside from this, and perhaps gluing some rubber directly to the frame, you could look at protective films.

I make a range of custom-shaped frame protection kits for bikes, but you will find that the protective films will adhere less well to an anodised finish than a gloss finish. This means so you will replace them a little more often. Alternatively, you could look at Framewrap, but you will find it works less well at the BB as it needs to stick to itself and it would be challenging to wrap. I'd stick with your device for the time being.
    Frameskin™ Bike Protection Film
    Protect your plaything!
    www.frameskin.com
    Supporting Kowalski Brothers Trailworks