mtbr member
    Dec 2007

going to buy San Andreas DHS -questions..

hi guys
    Im bidding this frame on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170183129412
    I've never have any MC bike before.Im trying to build some am/enduro/fr bike..I saw this frame and I thought it might be ok.Seller said it has adj. travel 4 to 7 inches and it weight 5,5 lbs - is it really possible?so light?...is there anything I should know about this frame before?...how do u think its gonna work with MZ AM 1 Sl 160mm in the front?...i would like to get about 30-35lbs weight bike...thx

Hmmmmm
    If it has the standard subframe it will be more like a 20" bike and the subframe does not move up and down to make it 17" or any other height.
    The subframe is adjustable to change the seat tube angle.
    It's what is known as a San Andreas Classic and they make very fun bikes like what you want to build, but they are a tall bike with a very high Bottom Bracket. They are great for areas infested with obstacles, but don't carve corners as well as some bikes because of the high Bottom Bracket. I should add, that they do corner better than some new designs despite the height.
    That fork should work well with a San An frame.
    Your target weight is achievable with the right parts and enough money.
    The frame weight with a coil shock is about 7.5lbs. The weight varies according to what shock is fitted, but I don't think you will ever see 5.5 lbs !
    The San An is light for what it is though.
    It's best described as a fun, reliable, thrasher bike, that does all things well.
    When set up correctly, you can put some serious miles on one.

I'm sure someone else, can add some info to mine.

Later, Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    thanks...yes I think thats the worst thing about san andreas - high bottom bracket
    I got Iron Horse sunday in garage which is I think the lowest DH bike on the market but it takes corners SO DAMM GOOD ...anyway I think I'll give a chance to San Andreas if I win the auction.
    If there is anything else that I should be worry about speak free

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    wojtul1898 , I have a catalog of MC frames.
    The data is as follows

San Andreas DNA is 6-7.5 inch travel Vs SA Classic that is 4-6 inch
    The Classic can be XC/AM and some FR
    The DNA design for AM/FR/some DH

It lower than Classic, lower than Sin and ShockWave by BB

If you looking for AM/induro and some FR , I think you need SA Classic, but better choice for it is the Fury model.

But, if you will got good price, you can assemble for test most of the parts of the IronHorse
    To ride and compeer. But don't give up from the Fury, it doing ALL. Almost all

To have 2 MC bikes is better than one

Hmmmmm
    I forgot to add, that there is a small subframe available for the San An.
    So if you have short legs.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    The 5.5 pound frame weight is probably without the shock. I JUST got mine tonight and I weighed the pieces of the frame as I took them out of the box and the swingarm, bolt hardware, subframe and main frame together weighed about 2.65kg which is about 5.8 Ibs, but mine is Ti bolt hardware and what's supposedly the "big" subframe.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I forgot to add, that there is a small subframe available for the San An.
    So if you have short legs.
    I think the small is still over 19", so not exactly a petite frame. That height, compounded by the high BB means not the best bike for short people. The subframe had to be built tall enough to give shock clearance under it's bridge.

Are different subframes still available? What models did they come in? What did they change? I want more TT length personally.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Are different subframes still available? What models did they come in? What did they change? I want more TT length personally.
    There are really just two types of San Andreas, the San Andreas Classic and the newer model the DNA. All those names like "R Series", "XC", "DHS", don't really mean anything. Over the years the SA frame as changed a bit to add new features.

The older SAs had wider shock / sub frame mounts, and the forward sub mount fit between the two uprights. The newer frames with VPS shock mounts have a different configuration with the forward mount forking around the shock / sub frame mount.

There may be some of the modern sub frames in stock in both sizes. If you have the older style frame, you can get the newer sub frame to work by rigging up some spacers and garage ingenuity.

I have found that the sub frame mount holes may be off a few millimeters due to different years and allignment jigs. These can still be made to match up with a little effort.

Has the changes in shock mounts and such accounted for why the leverage ratios of different tested frames (by magazines) are all over the place for wheel travel over the past 15 years? Its more than just changing shock strokes going on that's for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    Has the changes in shock mounts and such accounted for why the leverage ratios of different tested frames (by magazines) are all over the place for wheel travel over the past 15 years? Its more than just changing shock strokes going on that's for sure.
    Well, actually the leverage ratio should stay averaging to 3.1 to 1. The confusion is with different assumptions of actual travel. Some say 4" some say 4.5", and you know that things like this are often averaged out or exagerated, such as Marzocchi 170mm travel forks being called 7". I've also seen photos of Mountain Cycle Furys where they said it had 6" rear travel, but is actually 5".

There were many odd stroked shocks such as 1.25" or 2.25" used on the San Andreas frames that helped confuse people about actual travel or leverage ratios too. I personally used a 2003 San Andreas with the older style 2000 VPS mounts, and a 9.5" x 3" shock to get just under 9-1/2" travel measured on a frame alignment jig.

Truthfully the variations are not enough to be worried about or wasted time over.

Ok because I put a 1.75" stroke shock on it and manually pulled the swingarm and axle thru 5" of vertical wheel travel.