Thread: Fury questions

jzt
    mtbr member

Fury questions

Hey,

I just got a Fury and have been riding quite a bit on it.

Where I ride the trails are either really steep going up or down, with not much flat open sections. They are also pretty technical - lots of smooth, mossy rocks, roots and ruts. The soil is clay-based, so quite slippery when wet. And its been wet lately (tropical weather).

Some observations:

Seated climbing is really difficult. I feel like A) the bike keeps tipping backwards. B) Whenever I hit a small bump on the rear suspension, the pedals kick back and this can be quite momentum-killing especially if you're about to crest a small climb and on the last legs of your strength.

I am not a novice rider, have raced XC and DH and have done those same climbs on my hardtail seated as well as on my 4X and DH bike standing.

I understand that the second issue is simply attributed to the high single pivot, and was kind of prepared for it I guess, having owned a Heckler and Bullit in the past.

But the whole tipping backward thing; the only thing I can think of is either the slack 67 seat tube angle extending my effective top tube disproportionately or the short chainstays, moving my center of mass backwards. Frame geometry here. Mine's a Short.

So I experimented with the seat tube angle theory by twisting my seatpost around, so the clamps were now offset forward by over an inch instead of backwards. Voila! Climbing is now a lot better, I feel like my body is a lot more "in" the bike than hanging off the back, my knees are directly over the pedal spindle at 9 and 3'o clock.

So, really, problem kind of solved. But I really hate how the bike looks now, with the seatpost twisted around. I'm not a midget by any means (170cm/5ft7in, 67kg) and my body proportions are pretty average.

I just wanted to check with other Fury owners if they had similar problems. The geometry chart indicates an all-mountain bike with the average head angle and top tube length. Was I under the wrong impression that this would be a suitable bike for seated, granny-ring spinning up steep rocky rooty technical climbs?

mtbr member
    This is strange..
    I have had my Fury since 2006. Most of my local trails are "seated, granny-ring spinning, steep rocky rooty technical climbs" and I have never really had the feeling of tipping over.
    Actually I think my Fury performs excellent for these types of climbs.

What are you using for a fork? If it has a really tall axle to crown height "I guess" it could cause more of a rear bias, Though I have run a 160mm RS Domain and it still wasn't too bad
    Also you might want to try a zero offset seat post like a Thomson. and possibly run less sag in the rear shock? I usually run 25% sag on my Fury and that works well.

G..
    mtbr member
    Answers to all your questions can be found here: http://www.mountaincycle.com/community/

As well as a bunck of other info you might find useful, such as Owner Registration, etc.
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]