Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119

    MC fury build and questions thread.

    ive been looking to replace my pitch i sold for a while now.ive been reading many many threads and ive narrowed it down to a few bikes.given how much i love my rumble im looking to purchase a fury.ive come across a few places selling a whole package for a smokin deal.

    how well will it hold up to free ride/all mountain riding?the reviews state its a solid platform but since im looking at a 06-07 enduro or heckler i want to make the right choice.
    also,does anyone have a nice clear pic of t he fury in green.i cant find a pic.

    ************************************************** ***************************************
    the build has started and is moving very fast.below are updated pics of the build and overall progress.
    Last edited by nation1979; 06-10-2010 at 04:45 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    412

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    awsome.thanks.now i just need to decide on the fury or a 06 enduro.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    412
    if you like your rumble, then the fury,

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by elbry
    if you like your rumble, then the fury,
    I agree... They feel very similar,and make a great combo

    BTW: Before you buy check here first.
    http://www.mountaincycle.com/fury


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    i did check with MC first but i found this deal
    http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...E%26%20Road%29
    ill see if MC can match it or at least come close.
    whats the travel specs on your flury?looks like a perfect AM ride

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    whats the travel specs on your flury?looks like a perfect AM ride
    That is a good deal.

    That pic was taken In 06-07? The fork was a 130mm Fox Vanilla RLC.
    The rear is a stock length (7.5X2.0) Manitou Swinger 3 Way air. It was a great trail-AM build...

    I built it up a little different last week. I'm now running a 160mm Rock Shox Domain 318 IS U-turn fork,stronger wheels,etc. I will be adding a Rock Shox Monarch 4.2 rear shock as soon as I get the mounting hardware..
    The reason I did this is because I'm selling my freeride frame soon,so I'm using my favorite parts off that on my Fury..

    Here's a pic of it from yesterday..The other MC belongs to a friend of mine..

    Last edited by mcrumble69; 05-31-2010 at 03:49 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    does the fury and rumble use the same size seat post?
    im hopeful that maybe the vendor will sell me the bike w/o a seat,post,fork,brakes,stem,bar or front wheel.that way i can put a 140mm fork w/20mm axle wheel combo on it and i can use my extra stroker brake set along with stem/bar i have.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    does the fury and rumble use the same size seat post?
    im hopeful that maybe the vendor will sell me the bike w/o a seat,post,fork,brakes,stem,bar or front wheel.that way i can put a 140mm fork w/20mm axle wheel combo on it and i can use my extra stroker brake set along with stem/bar i have.
    Ask this question here..
    http://www.mountaincycle.com/community/

    What year is your Rumble? From what I can remember,my 04 and 05 Rumble frames had 2 different post sizes and I can't remember what they were LOL

  10. #10
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,773
    I think all MCs use the... errrrr... 31.6? post. That's bad, I should know that by now.

    I had a San An with 6" travel and it floated rock gardens a little better, but the Fury is a better all arounder. It's more flickable and climbs much better.
    I've owned Specialized bikes, and they are a bit slower steering in the tight stuff. They have a long front end and slacker geometry, that makes them steer like trucks in tight switchbacks (comparatively speaking). The Fury is a much better trail / all mountain bike. It's much more fun on tight twisty stuff and slower technical riding, where you want a nimble bike.
    I'd say it's comparable to a Heckler, but has better lateral rigidity, especially compared to the older Hecklers from just a few years ago. They flexed so bad in the rear triangle and main pivot, that they were notorious for eating shock bushings.

    Just to give you an idea for build options: I have an large Fury, with a Vanilla 32, 140R (518mm axle to crown), FLOAT RP23, Maxxis 2.25 tires, SLX crank, XT shadow derailleur, SLX Front mech, XT hubs and Mavic 321 rims, Raceface, stem, bar, seatpost.
    My bike has a head angle of about 69.5 deg, BB height of 14.25", and weighs about 33 lbs. I believe that weight is with the toolpack.
    That makes a great desert cruiser.

    The head angle is a guess, compared to 68 degs on my old bike. I know it does okay, rolling nearly vertical 4ft drops, without any problems.

    Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I think all MCs use the... errrrr... 31.6? post. That's bad, I should know that by now.

    I had a San An with 6" travel and it floated rock gardens a little better, but the Fury is a better all arounder. It's more flickable and climbs much better.
    I've owned Specialized bikes, and they are a bit slower steering in the tight stuff. They have a long front end and slacker geometry, that makes them steer like trucks in tight switchbacks (comparatively speaking). The Fury is a much better trail / all mountain bike. It's much more fun on tight twisty stuff and slower technical riding, where you want a nimble bike.
    I'd say it's comparable to a Heckler, but has better lateral rigidity, especially compared to the older Hecklers from just a few years ago. They flexed so bad in the rear triangle and main pivot, that they were notorious for eating shock bushings.

    Just to give you an idea for build options: I have an large Fury, with a Vanilla 32, 140R (518mm axle to crown), FLOAT RP23, Maxxis 2.25 tires, SLX crank, XT shadow derailleur, SLX Front mech, XT hubs and Mavic 321 rims, Raceface, stem, bar, seatpost.
    My bike has a head angle of about 69.5 deg, BB height of 14.25", and weighs about 33 lbs. I believe that weight is with the toolpack.
    That makes a great desert cruiser.

    The head angle is a guess, compared to 68 degs on my old bike. I know it does okay, rolling nearly vertical 4ft drops, without any problems.

    Eric.
    Yeah E you are right about the Fury. It's 31.6
    As for the Rumble, I had to do a little digging LOL
    2005 and older Rumbles use a 30.9 post. 2006 and newer use a 27.2mm.. nation Looks like you need another..


    BTW: Eric Nice Build!!!!!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I think all MCs use the... errrrr... 31.6? post. That's bad, I should know that by now.

    I had a San An with 6" travel and it floated rock gardens a little better, but the Fury is a better all arounder. It's more flickable and climbs much better.
    I've owned Specialized bikes, and they are a bit slower steering in the tight stuff. They have a long front end and slacker geometry, that makes them steer like trucks in tight switchbacks (comparatively speaking). The Fury is a much better trail / all mountain bike. It's much more fun on tight twisty stuff and slower technical riding, where you want a nimble bike.
    I'd say it's comparable to a Heckler, but has better lateral rigidity, especially compared to the older Hecklers from just a few years ago. They flexed so bad in the rear triangle and main pivot, that they were notorious for eating shock bushings.

    Just to give you an idea for build options: I have an large Fury, with a Vanilla 32, 140R (518mm axle to crown), FLOAT RP23, Maxxis 2.25 tires, SLX crank, XT shadow derailleur, SLX Front mech, XT hubs and Mavic 321 rims, Raceface, stem, bar, seatpost.
    My bike has a head angle of about 69.5 deg, BB height of 14.25", and weighs about 33 lbs. I believe that weight is with the toolpack.
    That makes a great desert cruiser.

    The head angle is a guess, compared to 68 degs on my old bike. I know it does okay, rolling nearly vertical 4ft drops, without any problems.

    Eric.
    what are the specs on the RP23 you used?ill be ordering my bike tuesday(today)
    i cant sleep im so juiced.i get to pic up my rumble today from its new build and order a new FS all in the same day.ive got my fingers crossed that ill be able to order w/o certain items.

  13. #13
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    what are the specs on the RP23 you used?ill be ordering my bike tuesday(today)
    i cant sleep im so juiced.i get to pic up my rumble today from its new build and order a new FS all in the same day.ive got my fingers crossed that ill be able to order w/o certain items.
    My RP23 is a 7.5 (190mm) X 2(50mm), Firm tune on the compression, Mid tune on the rebound. It has the HV can on it (the kind with the outer sleeve).

    The RP23 is a good shock, but those that have run both, say a Marzzocchi Roco TST is a bit better for that frame.

    Thanks for correcting me on the seatpost size Eric.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    Thanks for correcting me on the seatpost size Eric.
    LOL I couldn't remember either so I had to know.OCD?.
    You were also right about most other MC's using the same size..

    I'd love to try one of those Roco's on my Fury..

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119

    ordering drive parts

    couple questions
    for a rear derailer do i need a long or med cage?
    ive already been told i need a low mount front derailer.

    in the wheel set department im on the fence about getting/using a 20mm front axle.is it really needed for AM w/light FR(northstar for example)
    or would the standard work just fine.

  16. #16
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    couple questions
    for a rear derailer do i need a long or med cage?
    ive already been told i need a low mount front derailer.

    in the wheel set department im on the fence about getting/using a 20mm front axle.is it really needed for AM w/light FR(northstar for example)
    or would the standard work just fine.
    I'd go with a 20mm axle. I have 9mm quick releases on mine and it works, but if I had the money I'd switch to a 15 or 20mm axle.
    The through axles work better at speed in rock gardens and other technical situations.
    You'll have less problems with the front brake dragging as well.
    The 9mm is fine for XC work.

    If you're doing a 2 ring a med cage will be fine.
    If you're doing, or thinking about switching to a three ring, definitely get the long cage.
    That's especially true if you are going to use a Sram or Shimano Shadow dérailleur.
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 06-04-2010 at 11:54 AM.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    scored some good deals.a sram x.9 front and rear derailluers.the front is a 31.8 top pull and the rear is a long cage(just incase i add a big ring)

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    412
    go 1 by 9 if you have a long cage rear. ?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by elbry
    go 1 by 9 if you have a long cage rear. ?
    did i get it wrong?

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    and could someone explain to me the main benefits of a 150mm rear vs 135.i cant seem to find any good reading and almost all the wheelsets i find are 150mm/20mm combos.

  21. #21
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,773
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    did i get it wrong?
    Well... did you mean if you go to a single ring?
    Or, did you mean if you switch to a tripple instead of a dual ring setup?

    If you use a triple ring crankset, you want a long cage.
    If you use a dual or single ring setup, you can use a med cage.


    You need a 135mm wheel-set for the Fury.
    The 150mm wheel-sets are usually for Free-ride and Downhill specific frames. Even then, those types of frames come in 135 or 150mm dropout spacing.

    150mm hubs can give you a better spoke angle, and give you a better chainline with wider tires. (like 2.7" tires)

    Also: you need a top swing, bottom pull front dérailleur.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    119
    brake purchase time.how long will the rear brake lines need to be?ive been looking at new/takeoffs but i dont want to buy a set if the rears wont be long enough?

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by nation1979
    brake purchase time.how long will the rear brake lines need to be?ive been looking at new/takeoffs but i dont want to buy a set if the rears wont be long enough?
    What size frame?

    I just swapped the brakes on my size "Small" Fury. The old one has a 56 inch line.
    That fit my Small frame fine.
    I think the one on the bike now is an inch or 2 longer.

  24. #24
    Hmmmmm
    Reputation: Ericmopar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,773
    Insecure guys talking about how many "inches" they need...
    I don't think that will look good in front of the ladies.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

    Peace and Long Rides...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mcrumble69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    Insecure guys talking about how many "inches" they need...
    I don't think that will look good in front of the ladies.
    LMAO..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •