mtbr member
    May 2006

Fox RP23 on a San An?

Guys I need your help...

I'm looking to change the rear shock on my trusty San An Classic ('03) and i'm leaning
    towards a Fox Float RP23. However i'm worried that the "air can" on this particular shock
    is quite large in diameter and might be very close to the main monocoque of the frame,
    on the shocks underside (the bottom leading edge of the "air can" nearest to the upper
    shock mounting bolt). Hope thats makes sense...

I've looked at the Fox website for dimension's of the shock but they don't list them, only
    the weight and available eye-to-eye lengths -really helpful Fox!

Anyone currently running one of these shocks on a San An?? or, if not, got one on a Fury
    or Zen that they could measure the diameter of the "air can" for me.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GM

Hmmmmm
    I haven't tried the RP23 on my San An, but the folks that have tried them on Furys, say they don't have good midrange damping.
    The Fury has less travel than a DHS, but the basic suspension geometry is the same.
    Most of the people seem to prefer a Swinger air or a Rocco TST.
    People have also had good results from Risse racing in the past, but their quality in the long haul is spotty. Some shocks are great, while others have a had lot of problems with Risse, I've discovered.

Anyways the RP23 will probably fit, there is more room there than you think.
    I keep hearing that, the San An Classics run better with the 6.5" eye to eye shocks. I want to try one myself, but can't afford it right now.
    I run the 7.5X2" and my bike is a bit tall at the BB.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

75% Mountain cycle

here's a float

Here's a Float R - of course, these are the shorter shock mounts but I think they are teh same distance off the main frame. It's dang tight in there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    You might also want to check out the Rock Shox Monarch.
    I ran one most of last season on my (non MC) trail bike and I'm very happy with it.
    The 4.2 model is a bit more tunable (platform) than the RP23,cheaper, and IMO has better mid stroke damping than all the Fox Air shocks I have owned or ridden.

That said, The main reason I mentioned this shock is because RS actually has the dimensions on the website...
    http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...-002-000_A.pdf

mtbr member
    Fox float shocks came with three varying tunes from the factory depending on the level of propedal. Make sure that you get the one with enough low speed compression / propedal tune so that it would not blow thru the mid stroke as well as not bob when pedalling. I'm not exactly sure but being a single pivot, the San Andreas would probably require the tune with the most pro-pedal .

You could also search for the float shock with the AVA (Air Volume Adjust) feature that lets you tune the progressiveness of the shock. I have that on my BMC and it helps on tuning the feel of the rear end.

http://www.iain636.quickanet.net/Flo...%20AVA%201.JPG
    DH:Mountain Cycle Shockwave 9.5 w/ 888R
    FR:Marin Quake w/ 888RC
    AM:BMC Superstroke 01 w/ 66RC2X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickgto
    Fox float shocks came with three varying tunes from the factory depending on the level of propedal. Make sure that you get the one with enough low speed compression / propedal tune so that it would not blow thru the mid stroke as well as not bob when pedalling. I'm not exactly sure but being a single pivot, the San Andreas would probably require the tune with the most pro-pedal .
    http://www.iain636.quickanet.net/Flo...%20AVA%201.JPG
    Good point..I should have mentioned that as well..
    The Monarch comes in A,B,C, and I think, D tunes. A being the lightest.
    I'm running the B on a 6.5 inch travel High Forward SP with good results.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the responses above.

Ericmoper: My current (worn out) shock is 6.5" eye to eye, so I was going to swap like for like in that respect as its just right for "all mountain" use on the San An classic.

SanAnMan: cheers for posting the picture, that is the area of concern. What year is your Float R I can't make it out from the picture?.

mcrumble69: I'll check out the Rock Shox Monarch.

nickgto: Yeah I was aware of the propedal settings, which was one the reasons for leaning towards the Fox. If I went for the RP23 and it wasn't quite right on one the 3 settings I guess I could have it tuned by an aftermarket suspension tuner... more expense though!

I've just found the online help thing on the new MC website, so i'll ask the question their and see what the guys at the factory say as well. I'll keep you posted.

Hmmmmm
    I can tell you this. The shock moves up, when it compresses on the San An, so if it fits when the bike is just sitting there with no sag, it should be OK when you sit on it.
    Also: some shocks can be run with the air can towards the shock cleat, instead of at the upper mount.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garth_marenghi
    Thanks for all the responses above.

Ericmoper: My current (worn out) shock is 6.5" eye to eye, so I was going to swap like for like in that respect as its just right for "all mountain" use on the San An classic.

SanAnMan: cheers for posting the picture, that is the area of concern. What year is your Float R I can't make it out from the picture?.

mcrumble69: I'll check out the Rock Shox Monarch.

nickgto: Yeah I was aware of the propedal settings, which was one the reasons for leaning towards the Fox. If I went for the RP23 and it wasn't quite right on one the 3 settings I guess I could have it tuned by an aftermarket suspension tuner... more expense though!

I've just found the online help thing on the new MC website, so i'll ask the question their and see what the guys at the factory say as well. I'll keep you posted.

If you end up going with the fox and need it tuned, send it to fox and save some money. I have a fury with a RP23 with the large air can. When I first got it never felt quite right so I sent it back to fox. I included a description of what bike it came off of, my weight and riding style. Fox rebuilt the shock and tuned it for $110. Have been very happy with it ever since then. Fox doesn’t advertise that they will tune shocks, but from my experience and from talking to others it is something they will do as long as you give them the right info.

mtbr member
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.co.ukhave some good deals on rear shocks just now. I really liked an old Manitou swinger air which I used on my DNA for a while. It was the one where you set the SPV platform with the shock pump rather than the later one which had a lever like the RP23. I put an RP2 on the Moho Slix as it was so active with the old RS SID but it didn't make a lot of difference to the bobbing. Problems a) I'm a fat chuffer, b) My legs are single pivot tuned after 15 yrs on the San An/DNA/Shockwave - you should see me bouncing around pedalling a hardtail! c) RP2 was good ol second hand on ebay - now you're telling me there are 3 different "tunes"!! Have donated the Slix to the GF who is getting on really well with it though - brownie points ;-)
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thekiltedskier
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.co.ukhave some good deals on rear shocks just now. I really liked an old Manitou swinger air which I used on my DNA for a while. It was the one where you set the SPV platform with the shock pump rather than the later one which had a lever like the RP23.
    Nice Find!!!!
    I agree!!! I've had a Swinger 3 Way Air on my Fury for quite a while.
    The SPV works very well with the suspension design, the platform is highly adjustable, no mushy mid stroke, and it's been very reliable.
    I bought it used on ebay for $50 about 5 years ago.I rode it hard for about 4 years on 2 different bikes until finally last year I had to have it rebuilt. "Probably" due to a botched landing to flat in 20 degree temps

The only reason I didn't mention this earlier, is because it sounded like garth might want something with a platform On-Off switch, and I've mentioned this many times in other posts..

This is a great shock if you want to Set It And Forget It...

mtbr member
    The other one to look at is the DT shock with the platform, expensive but God they are lovely quality. I run the standard DT non LO, non platform one on the San An in a 152*31 (mines an early non VPS so based on the 140 i2i elastomer shock) and is a great fit and forget shock. Just missed the carbon bodied version in CRC's sale.
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Update, well I took the plunge and went for the Fox RP23. It finally arrived last Friday after weeks and weeks of delays from suppliers .
    As you can see from the photo it does fit with no clearance problems. I replaced the swingarm bearings at the same time so the frame is super stiff again. From a riding point of view the shock is very plush, although i've only done about 12 miles on it so can't pass too much comment.

Thanks again to everyone above for you advice and help

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Rp23 For Specialized Fsr Xc Expert

Hello friends

I have installed an X FUSION O2 RC Shock for my bike but I want to install the RP23 FOX SHOCK in it.

Does it will fit? or I have to make any rebuild at the frame or shock

Thank you for your help!!!!
    EduColombia

Best Regards!!!

G..
    mtbr member
    Yes the RP23 will work no problems. Got one here on mine.

BUT!!!!!!

Only get a shock with the right stroke and length and NEVER EVER try to modify a frame for any reason.
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hello Dear G

Thanks For Your Sooner Reply

Best Regards
    Educolombia
    EduColombia

Best Regards!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

RP23 Vs X FUSION O2 PVA

Hello friends:

I would like to know if you have experienced those shocks . what is better?

Thank you for your support and comments

Best Regards

EDU
    EduColombia

Best Regards!!!