mtbr member
    Jun 2004

A few Fury Questions

I've got a Fury (with the Rocco shock) and set of Lyriks on the way, but so I can build the thing up straight away I've got a few quick questions.

Am correct in the seat post diameter being 31.6mm and the clamp diameter 34.9mm? Just want to get a post and clamp ready before it arrives so I can get straight to building.

What size stem have you guys been putting on this bike?

Is there any issues running 8" rotors on the fury frame?

Initially I will be building the bike a little on the heavy side as I am stripping some parts off my DH bike until I can replace the parts with items bought specifically for the fury.

I'll throw up some pics when the building starts.

Mountain Cycle Member
    Yes, the seat and clamp diameter are correct. Are you buying a new Fury? then there should be already a seatclamp on it.

Size stem is what you like, i myself have been using a 90mm and 40mm stem.

8" rotors should be no problem, the Fury is not a whimpy xc bike.
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    i got a real short stem on mine.. im about 5.8"
    measure stems center to center? if so mines 50mm
    8" rotor on the back should be ok.. dont think it will touch swingarm..i just measured mine and looks ok

your getting the green frame? picys asap

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I assume it will be the green frame, colour wasn't too important though. I was more interested in getting the Rocco shock.

Can't wait to get it though.

From what you have said about the stem, I will try an Easton Vice I have lying around. Falling that I have a 100m Ritchey stem that should do the job. Probably a matter of playing around with it anyway.

Thanks for measuring up the brake clearance. I wasn't planning on using 8" rotors, but I have some not being used so it seems to make sense.

How do you find the bike?

mtbr member
    how do i find the bike?
    i love it. still messing with the shock.. i had the ario on mine. but put a fox rp2 on when i got it. as i had it new from another fury i had bought.
    this is fury number 3 that ive owned
    one had an acident the other i just sold

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I really can't wait for this bike, I've always had a DH bike and/or XC bike, so this will be my first long travel bike that's not a DH bike.

I have been doing a lot of work getting up and running a mtb park (seethis link for the XC trails and this link for the DH) and some of the future stuff in the design phase should be awesome for this type of bike.

There will probably be a lot of tweaking of the build on the bike but that's half the fun.

I'll post some pics as soon as I have it in my hands.

mtbr member
    heres the latest pics of mine. just put new wheels and rotors on

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Had mine for a few years, started life like this
    was like this for a long time

And now looks like this

Forks and seatpost I bought on Ebay both are as new for less than half RRP

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    First pic should have been this

mtbr member
    nice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nice Stu, I was thinking of putting on an e13 device as I am going single ring, but I think I might just go for a truvative box guide to start with. The bike looks stunning in its current form.

Thanks for posting the full shots of your bikes though, now I can't wait to get going with mine.

mtbr member
    Sammy it sounds like a pretty cool build.
    I had a 160mm RS Domain U-Turn (poor mans Lyric lol) on my Fury for a while and really liked it

I have tried everything from a 35mm to 90mm stem. They all worked well but I ended up sticking with a 70mm as a happy medium.

I've tried many different setups on mine so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Right now I have it setup as a lightish trail bike with the Sin Relaxed geometry cleat.
    It feels awesome!!!

Here's a pic of it with the Domain. The pic was taken at a crappy angle but you get the idea

This is with a 150mm Marzocchi and the Sin Cleat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrumble69
    Sammy it sounds like a pretty cool build.
    I had a 160mm RS Domain U-Turn (poor mans Lyric lol) on my Fury for a while and really liked it

I have tried everything from a 35mm to 90mm stem. They all worked well but I ended up sticking with a 70mm as a happy medium.

I've tried many different setups on mine so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Right now I have it setup as a lightish trail bike with the Sin Relaxed geometry cleat.
    It feels awesome!!!

Here's a pic of it with the Domain. The pic was taken at a crappy angle but you get the idea

This is with a 150mm Marzocchi and the Sin Cleat.

Mountaincycle recommended I go with a Pike for the bike. Generally I will only be using about 140mm of travel, so the pike would be fine, but there are some technical rocky decents here that I would like the ability to wind the fork out. Not only for the travel, but also the slacken the head angle a little. Small increase in BB height won't hurt either.

The bike will never be a race bike for XC or DH (I have dedicated bikes for that) so I'm not worried about weight or having to stop to adjust seat or fork height. I see this bike becoming a do it all play bike. The bike I take riding more often than not.

Does the sin cleat reduce the travel by much? I'm guessing that for technical decents when I want a slackened head angle, adjusting the fork will more than do the trick.

Stu
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Had a Pike on mine but much prefer it with the 150mm travel Z1's, I hardly ever used the travel adjust on the Pikes as it was fine on the up's at full travel. I have had a few different length stems but have also ended up with a 70mm stem. I have also thought of trying the relaxed cleat but have read that you lose quite a bit of travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog
    Mountaincycle recommended I go with a Pike for the bike. Generally I will only be using about 140mm of travel, so the pike would be fine, but there are some technical rocky decents here that I would like the ability to wind the fork out. Not only for the travel, but also the slacken the head angle a little. Small increase in BB height won't hurt either.

The bike will never be a race bike for XC or DH (I have dedicated bikes for that) so I'm not worried about weight or having to stop to adjust seat or fork height. I see this bike becoming a do it all play bike. The bike I take riding more often than not.

Does the sin cleat reduce the travel by much? I'm guessing that for technical decents when I want a slackened head angle, adjusting the fork will more than do the trick.
    The Pike would be a great choice.
    Right now I'm using a 145mm Manitou Nixon fork. The specs are very similar to the Pike. IMO it's a good "Do It All" trail bike fork. It's not too tall for climbing and not too short for downhill. Plus it's fairly light. It's a good happy medium.

The Domain worked great for exactly the reasons you mentioned, It was awesome at 160mm for technical downhills or for any situation when you wanted a slacker head angle.
    I would usually turn it down to between 140 and 150mm for climbing or anywhere I would want quicker handling.
    IMO A 160mm travel adjust fork would be a good choice if it was your only bike and or you ride very aggressively.

The only reason the Domain is not on my Fury now is because I also have a Freeride bike. I run the Domain on that,and set up the Fury as a lighter trail bike.

Either way I think you made a great frame choice. The Fury is an awesome "Do It All" frame. It can be set up to work well with most forks,and almost any type of riding.

The Sin cleat does drop the travel but I'm not sure how much. I never accurately measured it. Other than the lower ride height,I have never really noticed the drop in travel for regular trail riding.
    I like it combined with the shorter 145mm fork because I prefer a slacker trail bike without the extra weight of the Domain. Plus I'm short and like the lower ride height
    The only downside is a lower BB height. I do hit my cranks-pedals more often.
    I didn't like it with the Domain at 160mm because it felt too slack and put my weight too far over the rear when I forgot to wind down the travel. Yes this happened often LOL
    When I ran the Domain I used the stock cleat.

Hope this helps..

Eric C