mtbr member

Bike Radar "First Look" article.

Hi folks,

link to the Bike Radar piece. MBUK (Mountain Biking UK) magazine will be featuring the range as well.

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...in-bikes-20524

Gus
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

Hmmmmm
    That was a cool find Gus.
    I'm puzzled by the "worst named marque" comment though.
    I think it has something to do with the fact, that the brits don't speak "English" to good...

I'm curious as to what they'll say when they review them.
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 05-09-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    The 'Shockwave' made by Apollo and sold through Halfords is an absolutely AWFUL bike. Seriously. Hi-tensile steel frame & swingarm, wheels made of cheese, disc 'brakes' that barely slow you down... the list could go on and on...

I can only assume that for some reason the person behind that particular post in the comments thought Marque meant 'model'.

On behalf of all English people who can actually speak English I'd like to apologise for the crimes against the language that do take place on Bikeradar ;-)

mtbr member
    No I think a lot of people see brand "Mountain Cycle" almost as a cheap name - because that's what it is! Like calling a new ski brand "Skis".

I personally do not like the new Shockwave colour schemes - the black swingarm makes it look out of balance especially with the silver front end. Needs to be all black ano or the new orange with black looks ok (see the Taipei photos). I have seen quite a few negative comments where the new colours are shown and I don't remember that many when it was the all black or red/silver swingarm. Dropouts not matching swingarm colour doesn't really help either. Sorry; I'm a salesman and the colour is the first thing the journo/store/punter sees and judges on. At least someone was paying enough attention to spot the BOS forks/shock!

Hmmmmm
    I agree with the color comments. I think all red and all black would look better.
    I'm not bothered by the replaceable dropouts being a different color though.
    Polished frames and swingarms would rock. Even a polished swingarm with a solid frame color would look good.
    I love the orange on the Battery, but I'm not sure how it would look on the Shockwave.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar
    I love the orange on the Battery, but I'm not sure how it would look on the Shockwave.
    x2

mtbr member
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mountai...7616343821828/

Pretty good I think, but again probably better all orange, with F### off big white forks lol.
    I still really like that burnt orange anodised 9.5SL that was shown a couple of years ago - obviously didn't come to anything. Some good photos on Mountain Cycles Flikr. The brand name on the swingarm with a bare front end doesn't help either.

mtbr member
    IMG_0871.JPG

mtbr member
    IMG_0859.JPG

The black swingarm and logo pull the viewers eye to the left/rear of the bike making it appear out of balance. Comparisons;
    Last edited by thekiltedskier; 04-16-2009 at 01:07 AM.

mtbr member
    Image-06

9.5SL (superlight) that was on show a few years ago. Mind you would you have wanted Kinesis making weight/strength calculations on your Shockwave???
    Last edited by thekiltedskier; 04-16-2009 at 01:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

mmmm.......Shockwave!

cant really justify one of those on Dorsets hills,does not stop me wanting one though!
    Mountain Cycle collector,i have 8 of 'em now!

mtbr member
    the thing with the 9.5 is it had a ludicrous BB height, like 15.8 or so. Mine (I had 3) was ridiculously tall, the head angle was stupidly steep, and the cockpit was really, REALLy tight. Even on the large I was always worried about catching my shots on the bars.

The biggest shame though is that MC has such awesome potential, but seems to be buggering it up a fair bit. I had two dealers ctonact them, and not get a response. I can't get a response out of them to do a profile article, even though I've had PM's here telling me directly who to contact. Still nothing. Their new website is god awful, and doesn't suit them at all. I realize that int he scheme of things its not a huge deal, but if you are going to complete in todays market, you gotta look good as well as ride well. At this point, MC just seems kind of...amateurish.

This especially sucks because I am a huge fan of the brand, and always loved that thier bikes came in much cheaper then the competitions while still being quality. If they could do that now, push a proper marketing campaign and get some hype rolling, they'd rock the house. DH bikes are way too over priced these days, the riders need a hero brand to step in at a great price and fill that massive void.

Ah well, best of luck to them.

** I should point out that the 9.5 was also one of the craziest bikes I have ever ridden. You could actually trailride the crazy bastard, and it would climb. Sucked climbing on the 888, but if you put the Kowa DH forks on there, I reckon you'd have an entirely unique breed of bike there....
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A few years back Halfords tried to sue the old owners of Mountain Cycle as they have rights to the name Shockwave in the UK.

Be aware that they might try to pull that trick again.....:-(