mtbr member

A Batteryish trail bike?

How about making a 5" trail bike that is designed like the battery. It would look like a Battery with some lighter tubes and Al pieces with some trail bike geometry! That would be pretty cool.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

G..
    mtbr member
    It would wouldn't it? But sorta like the Fury already is
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]

mtbr member
    Maybe, but slacker than the Fury and with WAY more standover height; one of the main reasons I bought the Battery.
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thekiltedskier
    Maybe, but slacker than the Fury and with WAY more standover height; one of the main reasons I bought the Battery.
    I agree. I love my Fury, but these changes would make it totally perfect..

How about a 6 inch travel Battery based frame

Hmmmmm
    Yep, I keep running into people that think the Fury is old school.
    A new Battery based bike would be cool.

It would have a whole new look compared to the Fury, plus some upsides.

It's nice to know the customers are being listened too...

That last comment came from someone who has been "feeling out the customer base" through conversation with shop owners and potential customers...it was meant a little sarcastically.
    I do run into more industry reps and hardcore riders than normal around Bootleg Canyon during the year...It is a testing site...
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 09-09-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

G..
    mtbr member
    We were just talking about new platforms last night.

.... I know nothing.
    ---

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm not sure people are interested in platform shoes!!!!!

G..
    mtbr member
    With goldfish in them. You bet they are, Super stylee
    ---

mtbr member
    Would it have to be 6" or will 5.5 be acceptable ?

mtbr member
    No, 5" and no more! It should be a stout trail bike, just like the original SA.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

G..
    mtbr member
    I'd go 6 which delivers the full 5" in the rear when set up properly. 5" would only deliver 4".
    ---

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009
    will 5.5 be acceptable ?
    Yes.. I just rounded up

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G..
    I'd go 6 which delivers the full 5" in the rear when set up properly. 5" would only deliver 4".
    Kinda like a Fury with a Sin cleat?

Hmmmmm
    I'm fine with 5.5" 140mm. That's about as long as you can go and keep it a reasonable trail bike, even with SPV shocks.
    I think it should be designed around a 130 - 140mm fork, with a 68 deg head angle and a 14" BB. (With 2.3 Nevegals or 2.25 Maxxis Ardents mounted for a standard.)
    If a person wants slacker, they can run a 150 or 160mm fork.

I'd also like to see at least .25" (6mm) clearance at the stays, for mud and rock clearance. (With the tires mentioned above.)
    Preferably 8mm clearance.

Personally, I think Fox and others have gone too far with the 32mm forks going over 140mm travel.

I want a new trail bike, not a short travel freeride or downhill bike.
    I believe the manufacturers are getting into a penis thumping travel war, and I'd like MC to stay realistic.

Later, Eric.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd prefer a BB more like 13'',the San An is a handful on tight tracks and a lightish weight too please!

G..
    mtbr member
    Yea, the 15-15.5" is a tall BB. I am very used to it now though and can take it through ST without any issues; it is a more physically demanding bike to ride though because of that (and the tight wheelbase). I find the San an, when set up right is a ST weapon on mass destruction - nothing like it exists today.

For 5.5-6" though I'd look at around 14" for the BB height as I have found on a 13" BB 5" bike, your cranks can easily bash rocks and the like.
    ---

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by G..
    Yea, the 15-15.5" is a tall BB. I am very used to it now though and can take it through ST without any issues; it is a more physically demanding bike to ride though because of that (and the tight wheelbase). I find the San an, when set up right is a ST weapon on mass destruction - nothing like it exists today.

For 5.5-6" though I'd look at around 14" for the BB height as I have found on a 13" BB 5" bike, your cranks can easily bash rocks and the like.

I agree 100%. People & manufacturers aren't taking sag into account when making a 5 - 6" bike with a 13 - 13.5" BB height.
    When you have over 5" travel, you are doing bigger jumps and / or lots of steps, ledges and rock gardens.
    Another words, you need the higher BB. 15 and 15.5 is too much though, although like I said in other posts, it is fun on mega off camber rock sections and drainage ditches.
    I can also roll over some really steep drop ins with the high BB without hitting the big ring.
    It still needs to come down for a better overall handling bike though.

Another reason I want 140mm travel front and rear, is because when the forks go over that travel range, the cost and weight go up sharply.

There are many good reasons not to go over 140mm in the design.

A: The weight will skyrocket.

B: The cost of a good build will skyrocket.

C: The bike will start getting sluggish on singletrack turns.

D: The bike will respond better to the moderate jumps and stunts that most of us ride. (6" and up is really getting into expert and pro territory...that and crazy people.)

E: We don't want to get into a penis thumping travel war...I'm starting to hear the first rebellious comments about bike weight and ridiculous amounts of travel on "trail bikes".

I want chain growth addressed. I don't mind a new single pivot, but I'd like it to have a main pivot a little closer to the BB and biased for use with a stable platform type shock.
    The chainstays will need to lengthen some compared to the Battery, not a lot, but ultra short stays will be a problem on super steep climbing sections. The rider would have a hard time not flipping over backwards in such a situation with super short stays.

I'd also like to see the cable routing for the rear dérailleur optimized for Shimano Shadow. Most people I'm talking too like Sram for really extreem stuff, but most like the new generation of Shimano for everything else.
    Last edited by Ericmopar; 09-15-2009 at 04:31 PM.

Peace and Long Rides...

G..
    mtbr member
    What most people do not realise and most bike companies will not admit to, is the simple fact that designing bikes, especially FS mtb's, is a series of compromises. More travel, lighter weight, better performing so on and so forth. Pretty much pick two but more often than not you can't have three.

I predominantly ride ST these days. Tight fast flowing. For me, I have the San An set up perfect for it. I put that on other trails though, and it's a shocker. Compromises.

I'll be adding a whole section on real world bike dynamics on http://mountaincycle.com, after I finish the site updates and forum build later this week (yes, we have our own forums in place now to handle community chat, pre sales, warranties etc). For many out there, it should make for some interesting reading.
    ---

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Discussions here for a batteryish trail bike,is this for a bike that looks like the battery?If this were to happen would this mean there would not be room for a new SanAn?There's still no bike on the market to rival the looks of San An,it would be good to think that a modern version will come out.I'd like to see the San An as a trail bike and perhaps a battery type frame as a lightweight xc/race frame.