Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Battery Build

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Battery Build

I'm picking my Battery frame up tomorrow and starting my build. A question for those with a battery, what size stem do you run with?

I've got a 50mm and 80mm stem sitting in the shed, not sure exactly what to go with.

I'm going to be using my bike as a bit of a play bike, some jumping, some light DH and general playing around on and occasionally (rarely) a longer ride for something different to my XC bike. I'm pretty sure with 1x9 I should be able to pedal it up hills as I use 1x9 on my XC bike and the hills here aren't huge.

My build spec though.
    - Battery Frame (Black) with the Rocco shock
    - Marzocchi 55 TST2 fork.
    - Syncros Rims on Hope Pro II hubs
    - XTR shifter/mech/cassette
    - XTR or Hope M4 brakes.
    - Bars, not sure

Cranks, I have a few sets spare so I am going to try and see if I can get them to work, if not I'll track down some MRP cambers.

I'm sure as the build goes on I will find problems with some of the parts I have lying around to go onto the bike so the spec will probably evolve with time.

mtbr member
    How tall are you?
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Mountain Cycle Member
    50mm should be no problem, I myself have a 50mm stem on my Battery, and I am 1,93m (6ft3") and I have just enough clearance for my knees, but mine does not see XC miles.

And for the cranks and BB, you could also use an Truvativ Howitzer/Holzfeller Crank with an Howitzer BB, but choose the Howitzer BB with the 68/73mm - 56mm Chainline, otherwise the fit would be to narrow, this is a setup that I myself are using on my Battery.
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm thinking being a stem they are pretty easy to interchange so I will just leave the spare in the car and swap them around for a few rides.

Started the build today, hopefully good for the weekend, but knowing me.......I'm months off a functional bike.

mtbr member
    I use a 45 mm stem with mine and its perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Build so far....

Having a few issues with the headset. Seems my Cane Creek XXII lying around isn't going to do the job. I have the crown race that will convert the 1.5" to accept a 1 1/8" fork steerer, but the upper cup is configured for 1.5". Just deciding now how to resolve this.

I've stolen the Truvativ Holzfeller cranks and BB off my DH bike. Works fine but I don't like the idea of canabalising my DH bike for parts, so I will likely get some MRP Cambers in the near future.

Rest of the spec to go on,
    - Hope M4 front brake, Hope Mini Rear
    - Hope Pro II hubs with Syncros Rims
    - Titex Hellbent bar
    - Bontrager carbon post
    - Funn saddle
    - XTR shifter/mech
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Build-batteryb.jpg  

Battery Build-batteryf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Few crank issues here, trying to use my truvativ hollzfellers. I've got the BB with the wide 118mm spindle. Issue I seem to be having is that whe the cranks clear the frame it is only about 3-4mm on the non drive side and about 10mm on the drive side. The non drive side really does look too close.

Clearance evens itself out if I remove the chain device (Truvativ BB mount ISCG adapter) but obviously running a chain device would be preferable.

Anyone have any thoughts on what I am doing wrong or how to space the non drive side out a few mm?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ignore that last post. After a bit more looking into it my BB (truvativ Giga pipe) requires no spacers with a 73mm shell. That makes running a BB mount chain device not possible.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

Mountain Cycle Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Ignore that last post. After a bit more looking into it my BB (truvativ Giga pipe) requires no spacers with a 73mm shell. That makes running a BB mount chain device not possible.

Back to the drawing board I guess.
    That is correct, because with the Truvativ cranks and the Battery to work good, you need this BB, then it will work.

Howitzer Team or XR BB 68/73mm - 56mm Chainline (normal BB is 51mm)
    shoot me again, I ain't dead yet

I do not have mountainbikes, I have Mountain Cycles

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm going to get the MRP's, but I think with my crank arms a giga pipe ISIS with 73e size shell and 118mm spindle would work.

For the cost of the BB though I have decided to put these cranks back on the DH bike an get new ones for the battery.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Finished the build. Took a little longer than expected thanks to some postal delay's, but we are now finished.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Build-p1090736.jpg  

Battery Build-p1090737.jpg  

Battery Build-p1090738.jpg  

Battery Build-p1090740.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks awesome!!!

How do you like the ride and size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Other than a short blast around the street earlier today it hasn't been ridden. It felt short, but not too short. I don't think I would take it on a 25+km ride, but a few hours on it would be OK. Just playing in the street though, seems to pedal nice enough. I thought it had a lot of pedal bob......until I realised the back tyre needed a lot more air put in.

All up, I think it will climb well enough, should descend great and the flat bits will be fine. All up it, for a bike designed as a slopestyle machine, it seems to make a nice trail bike.

Its been built up as more of a play bike, but I intend to put a decent amount of time in on it tomorrow as long as the weather holds.I'll report back then.

I will add though, it sure does look pretty in the flesh.

Grappling now with the San An II or ZEN II issue, but thats another story,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    Its been built up as more of a play bike, but I intend to put a decent amount of time in on it tomorrow as long as the weather holds.I'll report back then.
    Sweet looking forward to your report.
    BTW: How tall are you?.

As for Zen or San An, Flip a coin. Both are Awesome looking rides!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm 174cm (5'10") tall. Short legs though. I'll post more tomorrow about how the ride feels.

I'll get a weight as well, although it didn't feel too bad pedaling around the street.

Really glad I got the bike though. Looks sweet, feels nice and I can't wait to get her dirty.

Hmmmmm
    I like it Sammy. You have a sense of style.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    OK, time for a ride report.

It was a bit wetter today than I had expected, so the trails were quiet slippery, but I was very surprised at how fun this bike has turned out to be as a general trail bike. Put in about 15km's (10miles) on it with plenty of climbing and descending.

Seems to pedal quiet well. Obviously not as well as my XC bike, but it would be wrong to expect that. I'll be changing the rear tyre to something smaller though. Even climbing there was a lot less pedal bob than I had read in reviews. I didn't have any issues clearing sections than I have on other bikes, I would have just been a bit slower up the hills. All up though, the bit of extra effort was more than made up for on the descent. It ate up everything thrown at it which was great.

Cornering will take a few rides to get used to, but it seems nimble enough but still stable given the super short wheel base.

So to sum up..........I like it.

Only issues were my own stupid fault. The bolt not tight enough holding the shifter cable on the mech, and the head set not clamped down enough. Both sorted on the trail.

A few trail shots.......

At the headland lookout. Actually got to watch two pods of whales (five in total) and closer in about twenty dolphins playing in the surf.

Mid Climb rest spot. Nice spot to watch the surf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Battery Build-p1090755.jpg  

Battery Build-p1090760.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks for the write up!!
    The bike looks great,and that trail has some amazing scenery.

Hmm this quote got me thinking, "I would have just been a bit slower up the hills"
    Has anyone tried a 12-36t 9 speed cassette on a Battery or any other 26in wheeled bike for that matter?
    That would improve climbing on a 1x9 bike quite a bit. If it worked-fit..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, it's hard to get motivated for a ride with views like that.

As for the cassette, I'm using a 9speed with 11-34. I am seriously considering going to a 10speed set up with a rear 36. I run a 32 up front so it should take some of the grinding out of the bigger hills.

mtbr member
    Hey McRumble69,
    I have been thinking of the 9speed 36/12 cassette option for my Battery as well. The issue was finding one. Here is the Shimano answer: "Shimano HG61 9-Speed Cassette (12-36)12-36t 29'er-specific cassettes must be used with either M529 (6-bolt) or M629 (centerlock) hubs, which are designed and manufactured specifically to withstand the extra torque load exerted by the 36t low gear. Use of the 12-36t cassettes with other hubs may result in hub-failure and may void warranty coverage." Kinda funny that if you want a 10-speed 12-36 there are no issues..... I'm pretty sure that a 34t front/ 36t rear = a 32t front/ 34t rear (in terms of ratios) so we can make it work Just depends on how steep those climbs are...

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA009 View Post
    Hey McRumble69,
    I have been thinking of the 9speed 36/12 cassette option for my Battery as well. The issue was finding one. Here is the Shimano answer: "Shimano HG61 9-Speed Cassette (12-36)12-36t 29'er-specific cassettes must be used with either M529 (6-bolt) or M629 (centerlock) hubs, which are designed and manufactured specifically to withstand the extra torque load exerted by the 36t low gear. Use of the 12-36t cassettes with other hubs may result in hub-failure and may void warranty coverage." Kinda funny that if you want a 10-speed 12-36 there are no issues..... I'm pretty sure that a 34t front/ 36t rear = a 32t front/ 34t rear (in terms of ratios) so we can make it work Just depends on how steep those climbs are...
    I don't doubt Shimano made that crazy statement, but what the hell.
    I've been using XT hubs for years and at one point in time was over 200 lbs, plus my heavy All Mountain bikes, plus torquing over obstacles etc all with 22 tooth granny rings that generate lots of torque.
    Somehow, I don't think a 12 - 36 cassette paired with a single ring is going to over torque a hub.
    I bet a lot more force is generated on the hub by heavy braking with discs, than by even the strongest peddlers .

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I have to agreeSwitchh you Eric I'd run a 36 rear cassette with no concerns on it's mpacts on the hub.

Hmmmmm
    Shimano is probably worried that people will discover the benefits of 10 spd without the big expense of changing out the entire drivetrain.

Peace and Long Rides...

mtbr member
    @ everyone..
    I don't get it either. May be Shimano's Lawyers made them build that hub..

Then again, it was built with 29'ers in mind, It would take more power to spin the larger - heavier wheel up a hill.

I'm running a DT Swiss rear hub on my main rear wheel. Azonic Outlaw, and Mavic on my spares.
    My guess is the DT and Azonic will hold up fine, The Mavic I dunno..

JRA thanks for the info..

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well, after a bit more time on this bike, it just gets better and better. Definitely not a bike for a tall person, but that's not an issue for me.

The angles all seem spot on for trail riding, which is a surprise given it isn't the intended use for the bike.

I'm going to try ditching the 11 tooth sprocket so I can add a 36 to my cassette. Non of the hills here are really presenting any major issues, but I think the lower gearing will make longer rides more achievable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast