mtbr member
    May 2009

'91 suspenders 2 -HELP!

what can be used to replace rubber bumpers/spacers in these? I need a DIY fix, my original ones melted together...
    Last edited by stefonz; 05-18-2009 at 07:36 PM.

G..
    mtbr member
    Gee that's a hard one. Sometime places like Cambriabike have parts for really old components. Of not, try and see if you can get hold of something like from an old Manitou.

Anyone else out there with any ideas? I don't think We have any parts for those. I could be wrong but I think it's a very long shot considering how old they are.
    ---
    Design Guy [SanAndreas 2.0, Zen II]

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd love to hear if you find somewhere. I have three sets of mid/early 90's Manitous at home where the elastomer stack has gone hard and in one set snapped.

I would love to have these forks working again.

I know of a company making new elastomers, out of a better quality elastomer, for Proflex bikes, but have not seen anything else.

G..
    mtbr member
    Hey Sammydog, can you ping that place that does the new elastomers here? They might be of help to stefonz...
    ---

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The place is Rapid Descent Scotland.

They seem to only focus on Proflex bikes, but I have heard nothing but good stuff about their products.

G..
    mtbr member
    Thanks Sammydog. I am sure with a bit of creativity, something can be worked out.
    ---

Mountain Cyclist
    Oct 2007
    For a DIY quick fix try cutting a mtb inner tube in half, then remove the valve stem part so that you only have rubber. Then wrap the tube pretty tight around where the elastomer used to be until its thick enough (as thick as the old elastomer), cut the tube, and then zip tie using 3 ties. Essentially, youre using inner tube rubber as an elastomer. I have never tried this on a San An, but it works fine (gets the job done) on an old Proflex I just restored.
    Mountain Cycle Zen
    Mountain Cycle Moho STS
    Felt F75

mtbr member
    Contact Paul Smith who used to work at MBUK - he set his up with an engine spring from an old style Mini (not that BMW thing they have now!)
    SCOTLAND! Where men are men and sheep are scared!

TaS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Another option might be at the following.

http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/home.php

They have a custom order page.

Have a Day

Tom
    Littleton, CO

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Good Things Gone Bad...

Quote Originally Posted by stefonz
    what can be used to replace rubber bumpers/spacers in these? I need a DIY fix, my original ones melted together...
    The Suspenders original elastomers were a custom cast foam urethane product that was balanced to provide the proper damping and spring rate at the same time with the same object, the elastomer, which is kind of hard to do. Oil forks have a spring of steel or air that is dampened by the oil and given two variables to solve two functions is easier to work with. I digress....

Our original manufacturer's employee that worked on and produced all of the great foamed elastomers died and left us, MC, between a rock and hard place and we had to change to a different material and manufacturer, as the limited chemical materials allowed in CA for cast urethanes were harder to work with than the older materials and we found a new manufacturer. Unfortunately, the new materials over time showed that they were not fully crossed-linked and would melt together, especially in high heat conditions.

The use of an MCU elastomer will work, but will also be very springy with little damping effect opposed to a cast minimal foamed urethane product, but if that does not bother you, you're set.

Look up ‘cast urethane” products and or “MCU” (micro cellular urethane) products for replacement parts, or as the other suggestions, look up suspension replacement parts.

Hope that helps in some way. Best of luck! RR .

75% Mountain cycle

mcmaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by stefonz
    Just a suggestion - Try find a set that works from here - http://www.mcmaster.com/#polyurethan...tomers/=3qgscj

Don't get hung up on the outside diameter, you probably would use the 1/4" inside diameter that end up only 7/8" OD but they will work. I suggest you get a long one, like 12", and cut it with a razor blade into sections about 2" long divided by plastic washers. Lube 'em up good with a sythetic elastomer lube (ie Judy Butter) if you can get it.

They also sell steel springs at McMaster that you may be able to retrofit but won't have any rebound damping. I did 80A with the poly elastomers at 200lbs in an Indy SL and they work great. They at least get you on the road.