Thread: Your Fly Ti

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Your Fly Ti

Just got my new Fly Ti today, 16in frame, I love the new black decals, the welds at the top and down tube are amazing. I put it together last night and rode it around the town for a bit, now I need to get it dirty. Will probably need to get a laid back seatpost to stretch out the bike a little, otherwise fits great (I'm 5'7"). I've never ridden Ti but I think I can tell some differences from my previous CroMo KHS hardtail. Will definately replace tires, too narrow, not sure on the cassette until I get it in the woods, will post some pictures.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    How did the brake install/adjustment go for you? I've been messing around with them as the rotors keep rubbing on the calipers.

Also, did you attach the rear brake cable into the frame clip, or just leave it weaved behind the chainstay as delivered?

If you're using a torque wrench, to what torque are you tightening the seatpost clamp? I don't see a spec anywhere on the clamp, and haven't been able to search one out.

Sweet bike, isn't it?!

mtbr member
    Photo's gentlemen, photo's.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Smile

Yeah this bike rocks, just out blasting around the neighborhood again with my one year old watching.

I did "re-weave" the rear brake line. The easy way to do it was by taking off the rear brake lever and resnaking it that way. Looks better with the line where it was supposed to be. Also attatched to the front guide on the top tube.

The front brake line there is a zip tie that comes with the SID and a spot for that to on the fork.

I'm having trouble getting my pads close to the caliper. Initially it was rubbing on the front, I had to go through the process of pumping the brake 5 times/holding it in and tightening the slightly slack bolts on the mounts as directed in the instructions. Then after riding for about an hour no rub, however when I turn the adjuster on the lever to get the pads closer it doesn't seem to work??

Also when I first rode I had an annoying rattle wasn't sure what it was, come to find out it is the water bottle bolts!

Just took some pictures of the bike, will try to post.

What size frame did you get?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Here you go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sjfsrpro
    Yeah this bike rocks, just out blasting around the neighborhood again with my one year old watching.

I did "re-weave" the rear brake line. The easy way to do it was by taking off the rear brake lever and resnaking it that way. Looks better with the line where it was supposed to be. Also attatched to the front guide on the top tube.

The front brake line there is a zip tie that comes with the SID and a spot for that to on the fork.

I'm having trouble getting my pads close to the caliper. Initially it was rubbing on the front, I had to go through the process of pumping the brake 5 times/holding it in and tightening the slightly slack bolts on the mounts as directed in the instructions. Then after riding for about an hour no rub, however when I turn the adjuster on the lever to get the pads closer it doesn't seem to work??

Also when I first rode I had an annoying rattle wasn't sure what it was, come to find out it is the water bottle bolts!

Just took some pictures of the bike, will try to post.

What size frame did you get?
    I'm going to mount the RR brake hose to the bottom rear-chainstay clip in the course of tweaking the RR brake calipers - I've tried the instruction manual method of unbolting/squeezing/bolting, but I think the calipers just need to be reset back into their bores.

I haven't messed with the adjustments at the caliper (yet) - hoping the aforementioned resetting will do the trick.

I attached the brake line at the top-tube clip as well. That was a no-brainer - but I was somewhat concerned about using the clip at the bottom of the chainstay as it looked like the hose might get looped at a severe angle between that clip and the banjo attachment of the brake caliper. Sounds like it's been OK for you.

I noticed the rattle you mentioned, too. First thing I do to any bike before I ride it is drop it on its wheels from a couple of inches above the ground, exactly to listen for atypical sounds. From experience, I homed right in on the water bottle cage bolts. Noticed they didn't come with washers, so keep any eye on the bolts/cage(s).

The 11-27 cassette should be fine for me as I've been riding a 21-speed that's geared even higher, but I do have another wheelset with 11-34 for kicks, with which I can see spinning out in the low end given the lightness of the bike and rider. (I get "lost" riding 3x9 as it is).

It's kind of trite, but that "ORA" badge on the seat tube underneath the Motobecane decal is pretty nice looking, with the sparkly/holographic "DB." Anybody knows what all that refers to?

Got an 18". Looking forward to finishing the tune-up so I can get this bike dirty!
    Last edited by Bends But Doesn't Break; 09-11-2008 at 08:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Having trouble downloading pictures.

I didn't realize there is a replaceable derailleur hanger, that's great.

Planning on going for a ride in the am, cannot wait. Are you going to replace the seat? I'm looking to replace the tires with Nevegals.

Still not happy with the feel of the Ultimates, not sure if it is just that I've never had hydraulics, but the endpoint of the lever throw is "mushy", anyone think possibly air in system, should I bleed them. Also when I turn in the setting to put pad contact closer doesn't seem to do anything!

The holographic sticker is cool, what does the sticker on the back 1-2.5x mean?

The KMC chain is hollowpin, nice!

Enough salivating over the new ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sjfsrpro
    Having trouble downloading pictures.

I didn't realize there is a replaceable derailleur hanger, that's great.

Planning on going for a ride in the am, cannot wait. Are you going to replace the seat? I'm looking to replace the tires with Nevegals.

Still not happy with the feel of the Ultimates, not sure if it is just that I've never had hydraulics, but the endpoint of the lever throw is "mushy", anyone think possibly air in system, should I bleed them. Also when I turn in the setting to put pad contact closer doesn't seem to do anything!

The holographic sticker is cool, what does the sticker on the back 1-2.5x mean?

The KMC chain is hollowpin, nice!

Enough salivating over the new ride.
    I finally got the brake calipers tweaked, and am OK with the way mine feel.

As for the feel of your brakes, I think you gotta ride the bike, break it all in, then see how the brakes feel.

On my other rides with Shimano XT hydraulics (well broken in), there is a definite difference in their feel at the ride start vs. mid-ride vs. mid-use - they get snappier when they "heat up."

I've already replaced the saddle with a model that I use on my other rides. Tried and true, and happens to be slightly lighter than the stock Skye.

Superfly 1-25x - don't know. Probably refers to some frame model or something.

Speaking of chain, I'm going to degrease it and White Lightening it. I hate that sticky gunk that chains come with out of the factory. I know there is a master link on that chain - is there anything special about breaking and re-connecting it?