Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94

    XO Fly Team 29ers are due in next Tues15 May 2012!!!

    Just found this on BD FB page. XO Fly Team Ti 29ers are due in 15May2012. BD is taking pre-orders at $2100, same as last year.

    Leaving Facebook... | Facebook

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    My guess is that this is clearing out the older components from 2011. The spec / picture hasn't been updated and those are 2011 Reba forks.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by soconn View Post
    My guess is that this is clearing out the older components from 2011. The spec / picture hasn't been updated and those are 2011 Reba forks.
    I'm kind of skeptical too. I got my Fly team last summer in Julyand it shipped with Elixir 9 brakes like on the full suspension Fantom 29ers. The Avid Elixir CR brakes aren't even offered anymore on the Sram site.

    But even now, as with my purchase, the website continues to show the XTR 30speed fly team with the same Elixir CRs.

    They really need to update their website!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    I asked about this on their Facebook page and they completely ignored my question. They posted several times to tell everyone that the bikes will sell out but won't address why the order page seems to have been copied and pasted from last year. The only thing that was changed for the 20spd is that the '1' in the 2011 was changed to a '2' (in several places).

    It's their business and they have every right to keep selling the same bike this year without upgrading it. But, if they are only doing this as a ploy to help unload the last of their 2011 inventory without the need for discounts, and then planning to release a brand new and updated 2012.5 version, people are not going to be happy.

    Better to just let everyone know upfront that they are trying to sell the last of the 2011 stock and offer a small discount.

    Anyway, my 2 cents. We could all be completely wrong...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    I asked about this on their Facebook page and they completely ignored my question. They posted several times to tell everyone that the bikes will sell out but won't address why the order page seems to have been copied and pasted from last year. The only thing that was changed for the 20spd is that the '1' in the 2011 was changed to a '2' (in several places).

    It's their business and they have every right to keep selling the same bike this year without upgrading it. But, if they are only doing this to sell the last of their bikes without discounting them, and then releasing a brand new and updated 2012.5 version, people are not going to be happy.

    Better to just let everyone know upfront that they are trying to sell the last of last year's stock and offer a small discount.

    Anyway, my 2 cents. We could all be completely wrong...
    Agreed, I saw that they 'liked' all the "wow this is awesome", "can't wait" comments and ignored all the questions about the specs. I was really keen to pick up a Ti 29 this year but this is leaving me with second thoughts.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    I've been waiting for the 2012s for a long time now... I'm still hoping a truly updated version is in the offing.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: flagrider3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    73
    Yes come on BD spill the beans on specs! If they will be updated for fy12 tell us... If not, no problem. Either way I'm not gonna pay full price for last years components and I bet most people aren't.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    I asked about this on their Facebook page and they completely ignored my question. They posted several times to tell everyone that the bikes will sell out but won't address why the order page seems to have been copied and pasted from last year. The only thing that was changed for the 20spd is that the '1' in the 2011 was changed to a '2' (in several places).

    It's their business and they have every right to keep selling the same bike this year without upgrading it. But, if they are only doing this as a ploy to help unload the last of their 2011 inventory without the need for discounts, and then planning to release a brand new and updated 2012.5 version, people are not going to be happy.

    Better to just let everyone know upfront that they are trying to sell the last of the 2011 stock and offer a small discount.

    Anyway, my 2 cents. We could all be completely wrong...
    I just wanted to mention again that when I received my fly team last summer, despite the description on the webpage, it shipped with the upgraded elixir 9 brakes in place of the elixir CRs. That was an upgrade!
    I've seen many comments on mtbr from customers who received upgraded components despite the description. I wouldn't rule them out. This new lot of XO flyteams have not been delivered yet, nevermind customer reviews!
    BD has called been many things, but in my dealings with them they've always been honest brokers; not looking to just make the sale, but continually offering the most value for the money. I can't believe that's going to be any different this time.
    Who knows why they don't upgrade their webpage. I do not believe it's for any malicious reasons. They've always beat the competition...........always!
    Last edited by Odiggy; 05-10-2012 at 06:13 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Odiggy View Post
    I just wanted to mention again that when I received my fly team last summer, despite the description on the webpage, it shipped with the upgraded elixir 9 brakes in place of the elixir CRs. That was an upgrade!
    I've seen many comments on mtbr from customers who received upgraded components despite the description. I wouldn't rule them out. This new lot of XO flyteams have not been delivered yet, nevermind customer reviews!
    BD has called been many things, but in my dealings with them they've always been honest brokers; not looking to just make the sale, but continually offering the most value for the money. I can't believe that's going to be any different this time.
    Who knows why they don't upgrade their webpage. I do not believe it's for any malicious reasons. They've always beat the competition...........always!
    Odiggy,
    Thanks a lot for you post. I'm really glad you've had a positive experience with BD. I don't have any personal experience with their products but I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't believe they sell good bikes.

    My only problem has been in trying to figure out their product schedule. It seems they are more vague than they need to be. In fact, I spoke to BD only a few weeks ago, and they assured me that when the Ti Fly Team 29ers would be updated for 2012 and that they would send out a pre-order offer to their email subscribers when the specs are finalized. I have yet to receive any offer for these bikes in my email, but I did see the Facebook posts for these two bikes purporting to be the new 2012 model year bikes. This is completely incongruent with everything BD has said before. Also, when I ask pointed questions, they are ignoring them (at least on Facebook).

    In an attempt to bring some clarity to this issue, I will write another email to BD and try to find out exactly what is going on. The bottom line is that I'm hoping this is just an attempt to clear out the last of their high-end 2011 components and that an updated bike really is coming this year. If this isn't going to happen, I just want someone at BD to tell me that. Not too much to ask for, I hope. Anyway, if I get a response, I'll let you guys know.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    I just spoke to someone at BD using the phone number on their FB page. She told me that the FB posts are for "2012 bikes built in 2011". I also asked about updates for this year and about bikes with Shimano components. She said that I should keep watching my email for a pre-order notice for an updated bike currently expected to ship in July. Since that answer is in line with everything BD has told me in the past, I will keep waiting.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    Odiggy,
    Thanks a lot for you post. I'm really glad you've had a positive experience with BD. I don't have any personal experience with their products but I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't believe they sell good bikes.

    My only problem has been in trying to figure out their product schedule. It seems they are more vague than they need to be. In fact, I spoke to BD only a few weeks ago, and they assured me that when the Ti Fly Team 29ers would be updated for 2012 and that they would send out a pre-order offer to their email subscribers when the specs are finalized. I have yet to receive any offer for these bikes in my email, but I did see the Facebook posts for these two bikes purporting to be the new 2012 model year bikes. This is completely incongruent with everything BD has said before. Also, when I ask pointed questions, they are ignoring them (at least on Facebook).

    In an attempt to bring some clarity to this issue, I will write another email to BD and try to find out exactly what is going on. The bottom line is that I'm hoping this is just an attempt to clear out the last of their high-end 2011 components and that an updated bike really is coming this year. If this isn't going to happen, I just want someone at BD to tell me that. Not too much to ask for, I hope. Anyway, if I get a response, I'll let you guys know.
    Ok, I'll lay out a hypothetical business scenario for you:
    The XO Flyteam Ti is made up of components from several different suppliers. Sram/Avid/RockShox for gears/brakes/ fork, Ritchey for Stem/seatpost/handlebars, FSA for crank/headset, ORA for frame/hanger.
    BikesDirect strikes a deal with SRAM/AVID for say, a Qty of 2500 sets of Avid Elixir CR brakes or their equivalents for $xx.xx. For a couple of seasons, SramAvid continues to make the CRs. That particular model is improved upon, ugraded, etc and shipped to BD in a "just in time" basis at the agreed price. Eventually Sram/Avid R&D department gets enough improvments on the CR, that it decides to relabel it altogether as the newer Elixir 9So replaces the CRs manufacturing line with the Elixir 9. Meanwhile BD still has Qty 250 sets of CR (or equivalent) brakes left on its current contract at $xx.xx. So, what does Sram/Avid do? Well, they start to ship the latest Elixir 9 out to BD instead of the now discontinued Elixir CRs.
    My bike, and many (say 124) others for the 2011 fall order season arrive with the upgraded E9 brakes. I shout with glee! Everyone is happy!
    Now it's 2012...BD knows it still owed Qty 125 sets of Avid CR brakes (or equivalent) under the old SRAM contract. Finally, the ORA frames clear customs and arrive from Taiwan! So they request SRAM to send them the remainder of their order of Shox, Brakes, XO Gears, etc for "just in time" delivery, so they can start to assemble a lot of XO Fly Team 29ers to release on or about May15th. Why no Shimano XTR's Fly teams? Well, Shimano is having trouble because their trigger manufacturing plant was located 20 miles from the Fukishima reactor and production is slowly being tranfered and ramped up in another location. So, all Shimano gears XT,XTR and are delayed because of this fact. Shiman Alivio was manufactured in China, so they are currently shipping on time!
    Anyway, BD gets all of its components together and finds the SRAM again has sent the upgraded elixir 9 instead of CRs. They contact SRAM who tells them the CR is discontinued. BD puts the 9s on the bikes and ships them, we are all happy with the upgrade!
    You see, I believe they are busy doing the business of bike making. The website description is a "lagging indicator" and is probably the last part of the operation to be updated. But rest assure, BD will always give you what's described or "better than" what's contained in the description, never less.
    When their component supply changes, upgrades, discontinues, etc, they do the same. They have to because they are relying on a "just in time" business model. The price stayed the same for them and for us. When BD and SRAM negotiate a new contract for the now current Elixir 9 we may see the price increase/decrease reflected in the finished bike price. That's how it works in my opinion. That's also the time you'll see the Elixir 9 reflected on bike webpae description.
    Facts is Bike Directs suppliers tell them what's new for 2012 an how much is available for them to order. BikesDirect, in turn, tells us what bikes are available, when, how many, and at what price.

    So once again, sleep on this order of XO FlyTeams at your own peril! The price my go up this summer when the new XO rear derailuer hits the pipeline, or the price of titanium goes up on the world market, or another nuclear reactor goes nuts in Japan, or Greece defaults, etc, etc, etc!
    It's a global economy.....
    Last edited by Odiggy; 05-10-2012 at 08:57 AM.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    54
    Actually, I really am waiting for the Shimano bikes to arrive and I have now been assured on numerous occasions that they are coming this summer. Wether or not we will also see a redesigned frame, or other new components, is a different issue. Again, my guess is that the "real" (emphasis mine) 2012s have yet to arrive (even on the SRAM side). However, if you are looking for an SRAM version, I can understand why you may not want to wait. BD does not restock these bikes very often.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by patrascu View Post
    Actually, I really am waiting for the Shimano bikes to arrive and I have now been assured on numerous occasions that they are coming this summer. Wether or not we will also see a redesigned frame, or other new components, is a different issue. Again, my guess is that the "real" (emphasis mine) 2012s have yet to arrive (even on the SRAM side). However, if you are looking for an SRAM version, I can understand why you may not want to wait. BD does not restock these bikes very often.
    Btw, my Fly Team is XTR. I'm really pleased with its performance, reliabilty and versatility in shifting, so I can't blame you for waiting. Just be aware, BD is only offering an estimate of when they think the XTRs will be ready based on the "ideal" scenario. I'm sure they didn't actually "plan" on waiting until 15 May for the 1st Fly Ti 29er release of the 2012 year, Things just happened that way. My point is, who knows when the XTRs will come. But I agree with you in this, the Shimano XTR on the Fly Ti frame is definitely worth the wait!

  14. #14
    Ti Fighter
    Reputation: Eruption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21
    WoooooHooooo Mine will be here tomorrow!!
    09'Felt Nine Solo
    12' Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Eruption View Post
    WoooooHooooo Mine will be here tomorrow!!
    Cool!! Post some before and after assembly pics on this thread.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,754
    ORA ENGINNERING CO,. LTD
    This is ORA's most current 29 frame. 13-MB-206
    It shows some significant changes.
    Curved down tube. Tapered head tube. Top tube seat tube seat stays interface. Curved seat tube for short chain stays. Seat stays curve into rear dropouts. May have a tighter head tube angle.
    This wasn't on their site when I checked in January.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  17. #17
    Ti Fighter
    Reputation: Eruption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21
    Well it showed up Thursday Morning. Sorry no before pictures but the box was delivered un damaged and the bike was well packed. Very first thing I noticed was how light the box was. I was hoping they didn't leave the wheels out but all was there. This bike is very light! Once I got the bike assembled it was very clear to me that the handlebars and grips would have to go. The bars are very narrow (22") and the grips are foam grips like you would find on a beach cruiser. I installed the set of riser bars off my other bike until my carbon bars arrive. The cranks are black instead of the silver that the pic on their website shows but I thats ok because I like the black better. It also shipped with the Avid Elixir 9 brakes instead of the CR they advertise (another +). All in all I am very happy and can't wait to take it out on it's first ride!





    09'Felt Nine Solo
    12' Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5

    Nice!

    I'll be in your shoes in a matter of 2 days. Purchased my 2012 FLY Team 29 Titanium - XO on Sunday, and the package is expected to arrive this Friday.

    BTW, did you add the pedals or did the bike come with it? thx

  19. #19
    Ti Fighter
    Reputation: Eruption's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    21
    The bike comes without pedals. Also be prepared to buy handle bars as well. THe bike comes with bars that would be best suited on a hipsters fixed gear. I put Easton carbon risers on and didn't look back! Other then those two things the bike rocks! I put 25 miles on it last weekend and couldn't be happier.

    Last edited by Eruption; 05-30-2012 at 02:35 PM.
    09'Felt Nine Solo
    12' Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5
    ^Thank you for the kind advice and friendly reminders....will be taking it over to a buddies place - and the new baby tiddied up prior to taking her out on the road...can't wait!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    62
    are those pedals? look more like egg beaters to me

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ZmyDust's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by ryencool View Post
    are those pedals? look more like egg beaters to me
    Haha.. I can't tell if you're yanking my chain or not... But they are egg beaters!
    ++ eggbeater, mallet, candy, acid, 5050 pedals :: crankbrothers.com ++

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7
    Looks like the frame is the same for 2013, some photos of the 2013 XX are posted on facebook (I'm not able to post links yet).

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elcaro1101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    369

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    24
    Any idea when Ti Fantoms will be in?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •